Tker = Unreliable Game

6 replies to this topic

#1 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

Under the dwindling hopes that some sort of automated Team killing detection formula will ever be implemented, I have a suggestion for how to prevent the TKer from just abandoning that account and building a new one to just start the process all over again.

Step one:

You must make an automated formula for dealing with both accidental and deliberate TKing. The formula considers all team damage (especially component destruction) and TKs at progressively reduced importance the more damage and kills have been done to the opposing team.

In Effect:
TK before any opposing damage done? Maximum importance.
TK late in the battle after your team has 11 enemy kills and 3000 damage done to enemies? Least Importance.

There is no timer for determining "TK points". It is all a formula based on when the TK was done compared to the progress of the battle.

Step Two:
Obvious Penalties:
Reduce the C-Bill and XP reward the player gets during the match by a value determined by the importance of the TK according to the above formula.
TK early? Large penalty.
TK late? Small Penalty.
The Penalty can easily put the player into negative money if he/she went into a TK frenzy.

Step Three:
Goad the deliberate TKers into showing their true colors. Getting deliberate TKers to think they are getting the attention they want for their TKing is important.
Include information about Team Kills and Team Damage on the match summary screen.
People that accidentally TK will be embarrassed, and be more careful. People that deliberately TK will revel in their infamy.
Send the TKer Emails saying he has been reported for TKing, even if he hasn't really, and it's just the Formula detecting his pattern. Again accidental Tkers will put more effort into not accidentally TKing. But if the Deliberate TKer thinks he/she is getting attention, they will ramp up their efforts to continue TKing. Ironically this is important for step four.

Step Four:
Hidden Penalties:
This is the idea for preventing the player from just creating a new account.
The Match Maker will make players with too high of a TK ratio simply wait an additional 3-8 minutes for each match. They will be put into a phantom queue filled only with other high TK ratio players. After a suitable period of time they will be released back into to regular MM queue.

Players determined by the formula or by the PGI employees to be chronic TKers will also have the game deliberately disconnect them "just as they were entering the game" only it will never be a real game they are being put into. They will just be loaded into a game with other TKers and placeholder empty 'Mechs. After a couple of seconds, they will be disconnected again.

Do not tell the deliberate TKer that he/she is being penalized!

If they think they haven't been stopped yet, they will continue to attempt to use the penalized account rather than use a new one. If they think the game is unreliable but it is actually because they are being penalized for being a TKer they will just go away and possibly not come back.

Step Five:
Hardware Ban. Use the methods of a hardware ban to detect Tkers that have simply created a new account on the same computer. Put them into the phantom queue immediately so even this second (or fifteenth) account is already being penalized for what their other account is doing.

Traditional Banning of a TKer in a FTP game is only effective if you can accomplish a hardware ban. Making them just leave because they don't know they are playing in a private hell version of the game is much better.

Step Six:
Forgiveness. Let the TK formula include a timer that slowly reduces the value of their TKs based on both the time since their last TK, and the number of matches since their last TK.
Some players can mature in time. Some players had their account used by a destructive younger sibling. Some players bought a used motherboard on Ebay that used to belong to a particularly ambitious TKer.
At the same time. The formula needs to penalize former TKers that return to TKing with an extra large penalty.

- edited for spelling, and a bad sentence structure.

Edited by Smith Gibson, 03 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#2 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Sounds good, although I think it could stand some minor tweaking. Nice to see a suggestion like this on the board.

#3 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

only problem is that most tkers don't care about money or exp as they tk to be jerks and their jollies of messing with people this won't do anything to stop them.

best way is to allow players to know whom the TKers are by both form and a little symbol on their names to allow people to know whom they are.

as it is pgi's forum rules protects them with their name and shame rules.

#4 Smith Gibson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostVinJade, on 03 March 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

only problem is that most tkers don't care about money or exp as they tk to be jerks and their jollies of messing with people this won't do anything to stop them.

best way is to allow players to know whom the TKers are by both form and a little symbol on their names to allow people to know whom they are.

as it is pgi's forum rules protects them with their name and shame rules.

My goal is to make them go away without letting them know they have been banned.
The TKer thinks he's getting away with it, but he has in fact been banished to the TK only queue and never realizes that most players never even noticed he even existed,

The C-Bill & XP penalties are aimed at keeping accidental TKing to a minimum. This won't actually have any effect on dedicated TKers.
The TK only queue and PGI deliberate disconnects are aimed at making the dedicated TKer think everyone is having problems getting into matches when it is actually just him. If The TKer has to wait in line for 9 minutes to get into a match only to have it disconnect after a couple of seconds often enough, they will simply go away as they are not having the "fun" they were hoping for. Meanwhile, since it was a TKer only match they were getting disconnected from, no legitimate player is affected whether he tries to reconnect or not.

I don't care if PGI ever allows TKer names to become public or not, as long as the TKer goes away first.
The current situation appears to be that known TKers are not being banned like promised, and the TKers then flaunts our powerlessness to stop him because PGI cares more about protecting his ability to TK than our ability to warn people about him. I'm only assuming that this revolves around recreating accounts with names so similar to the previous name that either PGI bans one, but we are convinced they didn't do anything, or they get reports on the wrong name and dismiss the TKing reports as false.

As it stands now, I suspect only 1% or less of TKers actually get reported. The current system is time consuming, cumbersome, and lacks the confidence of the player base that anything is even being done. I stopped reporting TKers myself once I saw the TKer was still playing and still TKing weeks later.

#5 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

thats the thing though, one tker got his account banned and relished in the fact he had his banned only to pop up again and he will keep popping up which is the problem.

#6 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

I like the griefer hell, that's original and brilliant. There absolutely needs to be a team damage/kill deterrent system and has been suggested many times over long periods of times. For the sake of insanity, I will continue to support an anti-griefing system and ask PGI to make it happen with all the hopes that it will one day come true.

Edit: was going to correct the plural form of the second "times" in the second sentence, but who knows over how many parallel universes this stands true in? No, I'll keep that typo there, it's legit. I just altered the sentence to better reflect this.

Edited by destroika, 03 March 2015 - 07:44 PM.

#7 Dodger79

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,552 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

View Postdestroika, on 03 March 2015 - 07:42 PM, said:

There absolutely needs to be a team damage/kill deterrent system and has been suggested many times over long periods of times.
Funny thing is: there already is a system that takes teamdamage and teamkills into account. It is the system that calculates your earnings every single match. So everything that has to be done is taking these calculations into a statistic which triggers consequences. But the data itself is all there already...

And yes, sth has to be done as long as reporting a player the proper way with screenshots, timestamps, descriptions via email takes you longer then simply creating a new account to tk again for absolutely free in Trial Mechs...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users