Double Xp Weekend With Double Xp Conversion

123 replies to this topic

#41 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

This is nice... will be an easy weekend of leveling up my new and not often played mechs... thanks.

however

Most of my mechs have been maxed out for a long time and have mass amounts of unused XP.
Shure wish there was a way to convert Mech XP to C-Bills.
100 to 1 or even 1000 to 1 whould be better than nothing.

#42 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

ok normally I would say thats really great, a double XP weekend.

But it means that the panther and Enforcer now grind twice as quickly and I get even less use out of the camo that's part of the resistance pack deal than I would have without it

#43 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

View PostCathy, on 06 March 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

ok normally I would say thats really great, a double XP weekend.

But it means that the panther and Enforcer now grind twice as quickly and I get even less use out of the camo that's part of the resistance pack deal than I would have without it

except the camo from the resistance pack isn't getting released until the next patch, so you wouldn't be missing it at all

#44 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:41 AM

I'll be honest- I'm not actually enthused about this at all. I know I'm in the minority here, but I have an actual reason.

With the usual C-bill:XP earnings rate comparison, in the process of Mastering a given variant of a given chassis, I can expect to come out with a certain result each time I complete both the Mastery and the customization of that 'mech.

If the 'Mech is Light, I can expect to come out several million C-bills richer.

If the 'Mech is Medium, I can expect to come out one or maybe two million C-bills richer.

If the 'Mech is Heavy, I can expect to roughly break even unless it uses a very big XL engine, in which case, I take a small loss in C-bills (one million or less).

If the 'Mech is Assault, I can expect to come out two to three million C-bills behind unless it takes a relatively small engine or an engine I already have lying around because I took it out of something else after purchasing it.

As a primarily free player, I rely on this relative level of C-bill earnings to keep me from winding up with not enough C-bills to pick up the next 'mech. Every time I get extra XP without extra C-bills, this throws the equation off, and double XP throws it off really hard.

Premium time doesn't affect this because it alters XP and C-bills by the same proportionate amount at the same time, but all the double XP events leave me either deliberately not playing 'mechs where I can 'benefit' from the XP boost in order to not come out effectively shorted C-bills, or not playing at all because it throws off a relatively delicate balance I have to maintain so I don't wind up going 'if only I had more C-bills'.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying (and imagine me talking in a funny voice with my eyes crossed here,) 'You shouldn't hold events like this cos its bad and harf darf darf'. Heck, I don't even imagine most primarily free players (nevermind most players in general) think about it from this angle and are of the same opinion I am. But I think it would be much cooler to either have premium time weekends (which would have the benefit of not only not causing an earning type disparity, but also give free players the chance to taste and maybe want premium time) or even just 'bonus Cbill' weekends, where either C-bill rewards are boosted in general or some particular form of in-game activity (spotting bonus? Lance Formation bonus? Electronic Warfare bonus?) earns a scaled-up C-bill reward.

'I don't have enough XP' is not a complaint I hear a lot, and the current XP rate seems good for ensuring players have enough time in a variant/chassis to adjust to the chassis and learn how to play it, but I hear and read all the time about people who have to shift engines and modules around from 'mech to 'mech between games because they can't afford enough of them while still buying and kitting out 'mechs (especially in the case of engines).

So, yeah. I appreciate the thought, but I'm actually likely to deliberately avoid the boosted XP earnings (and exceptionally unlikely to spend money or what little MC I have on XP conversion), and I think a boosted C-bill alternative would do just as much if not more to help players out and make them feel more rewarded. Even so, good on you all, PGI, for having weekendly events, even if they are as simple as 'double XP weekend'. Keep improving things, okay? I -will- keep playing. Just not this weekend. Maybe break out some of the things I haven't piloted in a while instead, I dunno.

-QKD-CR0

#45 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

Hello GXP conversion!

#46 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

I get the feeling i may be missing something here from reading some of the posts.

Is there a negative factor if you have a mech with lots of XP and nothing to do with please ?

Edited by FrontGuard, 06 March 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#47 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

View PostFrontGuard, on 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Is there a negative factor if you have a mech with lots of XP and nothing to do with please ?

Depends on how you understand 'negative factor'. To some players, it's effectively a wasted resource, because they're getting a bonus and it winds up being a bonus they can't use.

Me personally, I don't care either way about having a lot of XP and nothing to do with it, I just would like to encourage C-bill related invents instead, as those are more applicable to the shortages free or nearly-free playing pilots face than XP are.

#48 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostFrontGuard, on 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

I get the feeling i may be missing something here from reading some of the posts.

None. You might not be able to spend the xp on masteries but you also get double the GXP rate that you can spend on other mechs and modules. Quickdraw Crowbat is basically wasting a perfectly good xp buff weekend because he does not want to screw up some bizare equation. Maybe he thinks it a waste to play in mechs he has already mastered, an opinion I do not share.

#49 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 06 March 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

Me personally, I don't care either way about having a lot of XP and nothing to do with it, I just would like to encourage C-bill related invents instead, as those are more applicable to the shortages free or nearly-free playing pilots face than XP are.

I hear that, got ya.

#50 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

Its nice, thanks PGI.. Time to level those Loki's! ;)

#51 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 06 March 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

None. You might not be able to spend the xp on masteries but you also get double the GXP rate that you can spend on other mechs and modules. Quickdraw Crowbat is basically wasting a perfectly good xp buff weekend because he does not want to screw up some bizare equation. Maybe he thinks it a waste to play in mechs he has already mastered, an opinion I do not share.

Not entirely accurate, other than in the same sense that my spare hundreds of thousands of combined XP sitting around on 'mechs I've already mastered are also wasted.

If I play this weekend, it's likely to be things I've already mastered. You call it 'wasting', but generally speaking I'm just not going to benefit noticeably from a double-XP weekend no matter how you or I or anyone else slices it, and a lot of players won't be able to do so in the long run either. You don't need to understand how C-bill earnings stack up against XP earnings to know that, but I thought it was important to point out that that comparative rate is why this is true.

Not having much (if any) in the way of spare real-world money right now and seeing no attraction in converting XP (largely because that also costs real-world money), my point is mostly that the event is wasted on me (and some others), and of considerably less benefit to other nearly free and any free players than a C-bill event would be, and maybe a C-bill event or premium time event should be considered instead next time? Particularly with Upgrade and Engine prices being what they are.

Edit:

Also, it's not like I haven't got other things I might want to do this weekend (shame on me for having hobbies other than MWO, right?), so I'm not exactly crying a river over here.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 06 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#52 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 06 March 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

... but you also get double the GXP rate that you can spend on other mechs and modules.

I do not see that in the description of this event... double the GXP ?!?
I dont think so. Otherwise there would not also be a convert XP to GXP at the cost of MC at the same time.

#53 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

View PostCathy, on 06 March 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I understand that

I am putting off working on them until then. :D

Lotta other mechs in my bays that need the XP :P

#54 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

can anyone confirm it's activeted so I don't waste 2x first win bonus like last time ? :D

thanks

#55 FrontGuard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

View Postfx8320, on 06 March 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

can anyone confirm it's activeted so I don't waste 2x first win bonus like last time ? :D
thanks

it is active now in all of north america... so...

#56 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostSteel Battalion LoC, on 05 March 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

YES! I have been waiting for the double XP => GXP since i returned!

The real challenge for me now, Is how to play MWO and be at P.A.X. East at the same time lol.

Thanks for having it end tuesday, I might be able to get a day in :)

You guys are awesome!! :D

SEND IN THE CLONES! :)

I would be more jealous about not be able to attend PAX East but a 2X XP gain and 2X XP Conversion is a great start to my recovery. LOL! ;)

#57 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:44 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 06 March 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:

Double XP weekends are great! People try to master their crappy mechs and you get to farm them ;-)

Then get ready. My Mech Farm will be 14 (sq. miles wide) for the next 4 days. You may Farm all you want on my Farm but please be wary of the other mobile Farm equipment on the Farm as it can be destructive to any other Farm type equipment it encounters. ;)

#58 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostFrontGuard, on 06 March 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

I do not see that in the description of this event... double the GXP ?!?
I dont think so. Otherwise there would not also be a convert XP to GXP at the cost of MC at the same time.

You get a certain amount of gxp for every xp you earn, I believe that was 5%. If you gain double the regular xp you also get double the gxp.

Edited by Bregor Edain, 06 March 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#59 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View PostBregor Edain, on 06 March 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

You get a certain amount of gxp for every xp you earn, I believe that was 5%. If you gain double the regular xp you also get double the gxp.

I was under the impression it was 10%, but I've been wrong before and likely will be wrong again.

#60 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 06 March 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

I'll be honest- I'm not actually enthused about this at all. I know I'm in the minority here, but I have an actual reason.

With the usual C-bill:XP earnings rate comparison, in the process of Mastering a given variant of a given chassis, I can expect to come out with a certain result each time I complete both the Mastery and the customization of that 'mech.

If the 'Mech is Light, I can expect to come out several million C-bills richer.

If the 'Mech is Medium, I can expect to come out one or maybe two million C-bills richer.

If the 'Mech is Heavy, I can expect to roughly break even unless it uses a very big XL engine, in which case, I take a small loss in C-bills (one million or less).

If the 'Mech is Assault, I can expect to come out two to three million C-bills behind unless it takes a relatively small engine or an engine I already have lying around because I took it out of something else after purchasing it.

As a primarily free player, I rely on this relative level of C-bill earnings to keep me from winding up with not enough C-bills to pick up the next 'mech. Every time I get extra XP without extra C-bills, this throws the equation off, and double XP throws it off really hard.

Premium time doesn't affect this because it alters XP and C-bills by the same proportionate amount at the same time, but all the double XP events leave me either deliberately not playing 'mechs where I can 'benefit' from the XP boost in order to not come out effectively shorted C-bills, or not playing at all because it throws off a relatively delicate balance I have to maintain so I don't wind up going 'if only I had more C-bills'.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying (and imagine me talking in a funny voice with my eyes crossed here,) 'You shouldn't hold events like this cos its bad and harf darf darf'. Heck, I don't even imagine most primarily free players (nevermind most players in general) think about it from this angle and are of the same opinion I am. But I think it would be much cooler to either have premium time weekends (which would have the benefit of not only not causing an earning type disparity, but also give free players the chance to taste and maybe want premium time) or even just 'bonus Cbill' weekends, where either C-bill rewards are boosted in general or some particular form of in-game activity (spotting bonus? Lance Formation bonus? Electronic Warfare bonus?) earns a scaled-up C-bill reward.

'I don't have enough XP' is not a complaint I hear a lot, and the current XP rate seems good for ensuring players have enough time in a variant/chassis to adjust to the chassis and learn how to play it, but I hear and read all the time about people who have to shift engines and modules around from 'mech to 'mech between games because they can't afford enough of them while still buying and kitting out 'mechs (especially in the case of engines).

So, yeah. I appreciate the thought, but I'm actually likely to deliberately avoid the boosted XP earnings (and exceptionally unlikely to spend money or what little MC I have on XP conversion), and I think a boosted C-bill alternative would do just as much if not more to help players out and make them feel more rewarded. Even so, good on you all, PGI, for having weekendly events, even if they are as simple as 'double XP weekend'. Keep improving things, okay? I -will- keep playing. Just not this weekend. Maybe break out some of the things I haven't piloted in a while instead, I dunno.

-QKD-CR0

I must have missed the part of the announcement where it stated they were lowering the C-Bills earned per Match. That is what your saying right? Somehow, having XP rates doubled, you will earn LESS C-Bills per match by default?

You may end up with more spare XP/GXP per chassis Mastered but I cannot fathom how you would ever relate an 2X XP event ending up with LESS C-Bills by comparison.

Or did you actually write all that, just to really try and say,

"I would like more C-Bills, not more XP?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users