Can Someone Explain To Me The Wolf's Dragoons?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bubblewhip

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

I'm reading up on Battletech lore and I'm a little confused by the merc group the Wolf's Dragoons and their affiliation with Clan and IS forces.

I know that they are original a scout team with freeborn and trueborn warriors from Clan wolf, for it's mission to go undercover and scout the Inner Sphere.

During the invasion of 3050, the Wolf's Dragoons revealed their origins to the Inner Sphere, but I'm confused why they decided to help IS defeat the clans, when they are Clan Wolf? There was a formal recall on the force, but they decided to ignore it except for Natasha Kerensky, but what was the great tension around the Dragoons and the invasion of 3050?

Afterwards I'm not entirely sure of the relations of the Dragoons, the Clans, and IS, with the Phalen Kell's Wolves in Exile either.

I'm a little lost on their status in the universe and what side they are on except past 3050 I guess they are officially IS.

#2 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostBubblewhip, on 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

During the invasion of 3050, the Wolf's Dragoons revealed their origins to the Inner Sphere, but I'm confused why they decided to help IS defeat the clans, when they are Clan Wolf? There was a formal recall on the force, but they decided to ignore it except for Natasha Kerensky, but what was the great tension around the Dragoons and the invasion of 3050?

What happened was living in the Inner Sphere for 45 years, making friends, replacing fallen pilots with IS pilots and basically culturally integrating to the IS. They ceased being a Clan scout unit pretending to be mercs and became IS mercenaries in truth.

View PostBubblewhip, on 06 March 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Afterwards I'm not entirely sure of the relations of the Dragoons, the Clans, and IS, with the Phalen Kell's Wolves in Exile either.

I'm a little lost on their status in the universe and what side they are on except past 3050 I guess they are officially IS.

Post-Invasion they remain one of the premier Merc bands in the Inner Sphere, and their MRBC replaces Comstar's MRB as the primary neutral review and rating body for mercenary bands. They pretty much just continue to operate as mercs for the next 80+ years, and are still around in the 3100's during the Dark Age.

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

Greetings,

If your familiar with the Clans, they have two different views of the return to the IS areas.
- The Wardens and the Crusaders.

~ Wardens believe they should 'guide and help' the IS return to a state more in line with the old 'Star League'.
~ Crusaders believe they should conquer and subjugate all the IS and 'make them slaves' to 'teach them of there folly' for abandoning the ways of the Star League.

Crusaders forced the Clans into invading the IS at this time, Wolf was a Warden Clan but was forced to lead the invasion by having their Kahn (Ulric Kerensky) elected ('supreme commander') ilKan. Upon Ulric's elevation to ilKhan of the Clans Natasha Kerensky was named Khan of Clan Wolf in his stead.
- The Dragoons were Wolf Clan, but also felt the IS should be guided not 'taken as slaves', and one of the reasons they helped the IS with training and 'Mechs.
- This also lead to the Wolf Clan driving as fast as they could to get to Terra before any other Clan.
- They fought just as hard as other Clans but were still Warden at heart.

Originally the Dragoons were, as you said, made up of 'undesirables' from the Clans, with only a few trueborns. Natasha considered Wolf 'required her presence' during the final assembly of Clans towards invasion, as she was a force to be reckoned with just by her presence. Politics and back stage activities were big with the Clans, her presence lead to different outcomes than the Crusaders had wanted.
Check at Serna for the Wolfs history story:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Wolf's_Dragoons
as well as Natasha's history:
http://www.sarna.net...atasha_Kerensky

Just some info,
9erRed

#4 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

Depending on how you are doing your research is how I will answer. If you are reading the books then Blood Legacy and Lethal Heritage from the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy is your best bet.

Otherwise warning here be spoilers:
Spoiler

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 07 March 2015 - 01:19 PM.

#5 AkoolPopTart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationApartment

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

http://www.sarna.net...lf%27s_Dragoons

These guys are awesome. When they made contact with the IS in 3005, they came with five regiments of brand new battlemechs with some of the most advanced tech on them, and six warships that they stole from a the Clans. They practically made the IS **** their pants lol

Edited by AkoolPopTart, 14 March 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostAkoolPopTart, on 14 March 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

These guys are awesome. When they made contact with the IS in 3005, they came with five regiments of brand new battlemechs with some of the most advanced tech on them, and six warships that they stole from a the Clans. They practically made the IS **** their pants lol

They didn't steal from the clans, the grand council thought what they gave them would be average for a merc unit.... To bad they got bad intelligence from the Jags on that one....

#7 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

Eventually they paid a heavy price for helping the IS.

Then again betrayal is a common theme in the BT universe.

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:30 PM

Well the real dragoons went down in a blaze of glory. Better this way than to get disbanded by this treacherous ***** of an Archon.
Yes they survived but the Dragoons after the founding of the republic are not the same as before - same could be said about Clan Wolf in Exile. But the Dragoons were able to cut loose before they got house puppets of the Lyrans - like the Exile Wolfs.

#9 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

Basically, they betrayed the clans because they are filthy mercs. ;)

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

View Postreddevil, on 18 March 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

Basically, they betrayed the clans because they are filthy mercs. ;)

They simple: followed orders :D

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users