#1 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm still getting FPS drop spikes.

Been going on for a few patches, but with the fixes to the HUD FPS (and I'm getting lots from that), I think it's an quality over distance issue, but I'm not sure.

I get over 60 FPS on most maps in the training area. But I get spikes regularly when I change my view (turn, something moves on the screen, etc), my FPS drops, sometimes as far as 5 FPS, usually around 15. Makes the game semi-unplayable.

#2 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Just replied to your ticket regarding performance issues

#3 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

Ok, it seems worse on some maps than others. Had almost no issue on HPG just a minute ago, Canyon Network grinds my game to a halt (55 FPS when the mech powers up, then under 25 constantly, much better on the Testing grounds)

It is a live game only thing.

At the moment, I have everything on Low but Textures. I used to be able to run most things on medium and with Damage Glow on, but it's gotten worse.

I have deleted my shader cache.

View PostAlexander Garden, on 03 March 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

Just replied to your ticket regarding performance issues

That was from the last patch. New patch it's gotten worse (higher highs, lower lows)

Edit: Replied.

Edited by Bront, 03 March 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#4 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

What are your system specs?

Also, it is -expected- that performance in a real match is different from the testing grounds for a number of reasons so this isn't abnormal.

#5 Detriitus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts
  • LocationA long time ago in a galaxy far less explored

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:33 PM

I just had some really bad drops of performance in Alpine. FPS dropping from solid 50 to ~8 several times in heated battle. Havent had that before.

#6 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 03 March 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

What are your system specs?

Also, it is -expected- that performance in a real match is different from the testing grounds for a number of reasons so this isn't abnormal.

i7 2670M 2.2 Ghz, Nvidia 260M, 16 GB Ram, SSD and normal HD.

I used to get a smooth 40-60 with some stuff on medium. I saw 90 once today, but it's dropping down to 5-15 regularly, particularly in a heated battle, but after a few seconds, it moves OK again for a bit, then drops again.

I think it got worse when they did some Draw Distance tweaks.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Care to share the details of your ticket and Alex's responses here, Bront?

I'm running a stock Lenovo T530,

i5 3360 2.8 GHz, Intel HD 4000, 8GB RAM

27-30 fps when its stable, (upper end around 50 if I remove cap)

I get frequent spikes to the lower 10's when looking around Viridian Bog in Training Grounds. Playing in live matches is ... slideshow.

No improvement in framerate with the past few months' patches that I've noted. Used to get much better fps pre-December.

Anything that I can do to get rid of the sub-20 spikes would be great, I'm already running all lowest settings and lowest resolution, with a framerate cap at 30 with a few other things in the user.cfg that are supposed to help.

Spoiler

Edited by Tarogato, 03 March 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#8 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:23 PM

Will share if we fix. Only thing I've done now is turn the video card into performance mode and single monitor mode (I was only using one anyway), so no real help.

#9 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

View PostBront, on 03 March 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

i7 2670M 2.2 Ghz, Nvidia 260M, 16 GB Ram, SSD and normal HD.

I used to get a smooth 40-60 with some stuff on medium. I saw 90 once today, but it's dropping down to 5-15 regularly, particularly in a heated battle, but after a few seconds, it moves OK again for a bit, then drops again.

I think it got worse when they did some Draw Distance tweaks.

Honestly, with a 2 gen-old low-clocked mobile i7 and even older mobile GPU this almost is the kind of performance I would expect. Are you using an application to unpark the CPU cores? Have you run the repair tool and cleaned the shader cache? Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers, chipset drivers for your laptop, etc? Did you ensure in the Nvidia control panel that the MWO client is using the dedicated GPU? What do your temps look like? Have you ever changed the thermal compound on the CPU+GPU in your notebook? Do you have a custom user.cfg?

LOTS of variables.

#10 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

Framerate is much worse in CW with this patch.

#11 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

Posted Image

Using a Radeon 7990 (Crossfire is off, so ignore GPU2 usage). I'm getting huge frametime stutter, huge usage % stutter. Something's messed up.

#12 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

Sulfurous RIft borderline unplayable now.

#13 Tahuti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

Firing at a light rush is a lottery now.

#14 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

Played a CW match last night on the cold map. Game starts out running at 70-80ish FPS, which is much improved and I am quite happy.

My first mech is my HBK-4P decked out with 9 ML. An enemy appears and I fire a couple bursts from my 6 ML hunch, this, combined with the various other shooting going on, drops my framerate in to the 20s and 30s, game visibly starts to look sluggish. Even after the initial shooting and explosions stop and we move to a lull in combat the framerate takes quite a while to climb back up. The match continued with these framedrops, but never as severe as that first engagement. I also swapped particles and effects down to medium after that first fight.

i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz, 16gb 1866 DDR3 unganged, Geforce 680 with previous WHQL driver, Win7 64bit, running the 64bit client, 2560x1440 display. Settings generally at max with no AA and motionblur disabled. DX11.

Edited by POWR, 04 March 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#15 Fisslag

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:33 AM

i've got those framerate drops now for several months, but after this patch it went from bad to worse :/
my framerate drops from partially 90-100fps to 10-20fps! it occurs every time i zoom in, it drops to 20fps! i can't play with zoom, but that is ridiculous! :(

(gpu: geforce gtx 660ti with amd fx 8350)

#16 Onionbird

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostTasker, on 03 March 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

Sulfurous RIft borderline unplayable now.

View PostTahuti, on 03 March 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

Firing at a light rush is a lottery now.

Both of these. Sulfurous is fine for the first few minutes but when the first engagement starts the framerate starts to slideshow, which is a problem we did not have on Monday. I don't know if its the smoke effects from damaged mechs or what. Boreal has similar problems to a slightly lesser degree, but the amount of frame drop makes it extremely difficult to shoot at lights or try to fight in a light. I have to again stress we did not experience these problems on Sunday/Monday.

As far as I noticed the group/solo queue maps are mostly exempt from this, it only really affects me in CW maps.

#17 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 03 March 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

stuff
Let's answer:

Are you using an application to unpark the CPU cores?
Not sure what you mean.

Have you run the repair tool and cleaned the shader cache?
Yes. I manually clean the shader cache. It's been an issue for a few patches, repair tool has not helped.

Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers, chipset drivers for your laptop, etc?
Nvidia? Yes. Chipset? I think so. I'll check again.

*checks*

Yes. All drivers are up to date.

Did you ensure in the Nvidia control panel that the MWO client is using the dedicated GPU?
Yes.

What do your temps look like?
Get up to 78. I should be able to get to 85 without an issue.

Have you ever changed the thermal compound on the CPU+GPU in your notebook?
No, though I did just clean out the heatsink.

Do you have a custom user.cfg?
Yes
gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass=0
r_DepthOfField=0
r_HDRGrainAmount=0.0

Put it this way. I used to get better framerates on the low end on my old laptop (Q970 1.6 GHZ with an NVidia 360M). When I got this laptop, I would rarely drop below 40. Something has changed in the past few months to impact my performance. I will get spikes where my FPS is just bad, and then it will go back up (sometimes as high as 90 now with this new patch).

I did try 1600x900 and 1028x700 as well as 1920-1080. almost the same framerates at 1600x900, better on 1280x720, but still got drops (from 120 down to 25). The game looks really bad on 1280x720 anyway, I could learn to live playing on 1600x900, but I used to have no issues with 1080p resolution.

Edited by Bront, 04 March 2015 - 10:58 AM.

#18 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostBront, on 04 March 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

Are you using an application to unpark the CPU cores?
Not sure what you mean.

Are you running the latest Nvidia drivers, chipset drivers for your laptop, etc?
Nvidia? Yes.

What do your temps look like?
Get up to 78. I should be able to get to 85 without an issue.

Have you ever changed the thermal compound on the CPU+GPU in your notebook?
No, though I did just clean out the heatsink.

So for the core unparking: https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/

Are you using the actual latest Nvidia drivers, or the latest from the laptop manufacturer? If they're the latest from the manufacturer, can you check the version against the latest on the Nvidia site and update if necessary/possible? Sometimes, those two diverge greatly and can cause quite the headache.

78 isn't the absolute throttle limit probably, but you might want to check to see if there is throttling going on with something like MSI Afterburner like another guy in this thread did. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with his system, but we're also lacking a lot of information so I'm not going to try (plus maybe out of scope here anyway).

If your warranty is up on that notebook, get brave, find a manual for taking it apart (most manufacturers have them on their website, you can usually find it with Google really easily) and replace the thermal compound. Usually greatly helps temps. I would recommend, if you are going to do this (obviously optional but maybe beneficial), get proper thermal compound cleaning supplies (sold on Newegg and the like). Also, a replacement thermal compound that is not capacitive (in other words, doesn't conduct electricity). Maybe something like MX-2.

#19 thinkn bout thos Beans mans game

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Ever since the patch Thermal Vision kills my FPS. before the patch there was no change in FPS between thermal and normal. This is huge deal since I use thermal to spot mechs under ecm

#20 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

View PostOnionbird, on 04 March 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

Sulfurous is fine for the first few minutes but when the first engagement starts the framerate starts to slideshow, which is a problem we did not have on Monday. I don't know if its the smoke effects from damaged mechs or what. Boreal has similar problems to a slightly lesser degree, but the amount of frame drop makes it extremely difficult to shoot at lights or try to fight in a light. I have to again stress we did not experience these problems on Sunday/Monday.

As far as I noticed the group/solo queue maps are mostly exempt from this, it only really affects me in CW maps.

Same for me. Sulfurous Rift is the worst offender. Before this patch, I had 60-90 fps during the whole match. Now it's back to the December 2014 performance figures - 20-40 fps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users