Idea For Dev Team

10 replies to this topic

#1 evillittlestew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

I think a map filter would be awesome thing to put in not only could players pick what maps they want to play on it would give devs a good idea of what maps people hate to play on. I would love this feature as i would never ever play on alpine again i just think it would make others happier when they play and could mean not getting annoyed when you get stuck on terra therma 5 times in a row :D

#2 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:36 AM

This has been suggested multiple times. The conclusion reached every time is that it would increase matchmaking times far too long to be worth it. Believe me, I hate getting caustic valley for 50% of my games, but I understand it's a necessary evil for matchmaking to be efficient.

#3 ChaiXuan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostEvan20k, on 07 March 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

This has been suggested multiple times. The conclusion reached every time is that it would increase matchmaking times far too long to be worth it. Believe me, I hate getting caustic valley for 50% of my games, but I understand it's a necessary evil for matchmaking to be efficient.

agreed. Furthermore i make it a point to learn and enjoy the maps others hate as to crush and demolish not only their battlemechs, but their spirit as well. But then again, that's just me.

#4 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

What the guy is saying is that MWO doesn't have the playerbase necessary to support map selection.

#5 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

I still think a 1-map veto is a viable option for the game. If we can have game mode vetoes that cut out 2/3 of your matchups, the MM should be able to handle a single map veto.

Map vetoes are practically ubiquitous in multiplayer games. It's worth trading a very slightly worse MM to allow people to avoid their most hated map.

#6 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

I'd pay $20 to never have to drop on Terrible Therma again.

#7 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 07 March 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

What the guy is saying is that MWO doesn't have the playerbase necessary to support map selection.

Nor would it if the competitive units "driven off" by PGI's past decisions were still around. We'd require a much larger player base than even that to have that kind of flexibility. And if we had it, the first thing I'd ask PGI to split the queues over would be different game modes, not map selection.

#8 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 07 March 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Nor would it if the competitive units "driven off" by PGI's past decisions were still around. We'd require a much larger player base than even that to have that kind of flexibility. And if we had it, the first thing I'd ask PGI to split the queues over would be different game modes, not map selection.

Yeah, man, I've like never played a game that lets me pick maps and game modes.

Man, that's some lostech right there, man. If PGI can't do it, no one can.

#9 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

With CW I think wait times are a non issue. I don't mind the maps so much though even though on many instances I have seen the same map up to 8 times in a row. Lately its been bog over and over.

I wish there was some explanation for why that happens to so many of us. Sure in random I can see it happening but its far more often than random.

#10 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:23 AM

An Icecream map? Where everything looks like Ice cream sundays or candy and such. Plus that would completely fit the game. Maybe have rain of sweet sparkles (whatever that multicolored stuff people sprinkle on ice cream and such is called)

I think this is such a good idea, I'm going to like it myself! (just to show that i have good taste and am cool)

#11 Machinae Mortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

Map vetoes wouldn't be the best solution based on there being more players to a match (24) than maps (15). You could run into situations where the matchmaking was blocked from picking all maps and it would have no choice but to reshuffle people back into the queue.

A voting system (either up or down) would be more functional, but wouldn't suit the OP's desire to "never ever play on alpine again." The matchmaking system could weigh your input into the chance it has to pick any specific map, but ultimately it'd be forced to drop you where it needed to. Especially if others voted the map up after you voted it down.

I'd also like to point out that if this were an option (and just to be clear it won't be), I'd prefer to see individual votes for all three game modes on the map. For example, I'm completely fine with Alpine Peaks and River City in conquest because people are forced to not camp. I loathe the same maps in assault and skirmish, though. Come to think of it, I loathe pretty much every map mode that encourages trench warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users