Help Me

16 replies to this topic

#1 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn permanent 250+ ping mode

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hi there - my name's Questia, and I'm kind of new here. Not new to MechWarrior, though, I've been playing MechWarrior IV: Mercenaries for quite a while. Still recall the 3 x LBX20 one-hit build? Yeah, that's still my favorite.

I've gotten through Cadet bonuses and I'm almost into my first whole week of playing this game. I have used trials for more times than I can count. So far, my best three trials are the Banshee (Burn under my laser fire!), the Spider (I just love being annoying), and the Gargoyle (dance right, and enemies blow up). I love them all, but I love the Banshee the most - fast, can take a beating, and all the lasers!

I did my research, and found out that there's this build of the Timber Wolf (Timby! :wub: Kind of sucked in Mercenaries, though...) that takes advantage of all the lasers. Needless to say, I went ahead and saved up for it (and believe me, saving up means SAVING UP), and now I have one. It's just missing a Large Pulse Laser, but otherwise it's up and rocking.

But the catch is this: I don't know how am I supposed to use this set-up. Yeah, I can use it like that Banshee, but I need specifics - I'm no pro when it comes to this game.

Any tips for playing this Timber Wolf?
Please?

Edited by Questia, 07 March 2015 - 10:17 AM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

My first tip is to remove at least one (and maybe two) CERMLs. As you have it, heat is going to be a constant problem (especially until elited). 2/4 was the standard for awhile, but 2/3 is rising in popularity (better heat, better sustained DPS and you can lose your left side more willingly).

Once you've done that, you have arguably the best mech in the whole game. 2LPLs are your main weapon, bind to trigger one and use first in all situations. Use the ML for added punch when heat allows.

Welcome to MWO! Good luck!

Edited by Terciel1976, 07 March 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#3 Shalune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCombination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

Agreed with above. I run mine with 4, not 5 for heat concerns.

Even then you want to play this as a medium range peeking shooter. Good IS mechs will flat out burn you down faster if you try to go toe to toe. But if you keep breaking line of sight so that you're only exposed when you're shooting you will almost always come out ahead. The flashlight Timber Wolf is not about getting in your face. If you do that you'll mangle an enemy with 2-3 alphas but then you hit the heat wall while a good IS dps build keeps going.

That said if you do prefer a more aggressive playstyle the 2 LPL 3 ER ML mentioned above may be worth considering (though personally I think the Stormcrow does that better).

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

Also make full use of separate weapon groups. I assign the Left Arm to one Group, the Right Arm a second group, then I'd set up one or two more for the Torso weapons depending on your setup simply to manage heat.

Two MLs can still potentially deal 14 damage over their duration, so you don't need to fire everything and the chassis has enough agility to get back to cover to cool too. And I figure that unlocking Elite with be improving things, so keep that in mind too.

An alternative idea is to give C-MPLs a go for a future build. Here's my TBR-C, which currently uses three weapon groups, so Left Mouse is Left Arm, RIght Mouse is Right Arm, and then a third button is Torso, you can also make use of a fourth for say the CT hardpoint to further manage heat and to squeeze out a shot when riding very high heat.

Hope that makes sense!

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

^The TimberWub is very good, too, but lacks the range of the "laser vomit*" build so is a bit more tricky to use (I personally prefer it and have it set up on my TBR-D).

*Note to new players: Weirdly enough, "laser vomit" is the commonly accepted term for currently-meta builds that feature a combination of LPLs and MLs. These weapons synchronize very well and are highly effective in combination on both Clan and IS mechs.

Edited by Terciel1976, 07 March 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#6 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the tips!
I switched over to just 4 ERMLS; should be enough for what I'm using it as...

I've got a more serious problem, though...
I'm not sure how to pilot this correctly! I know this build should do well, but I keep messing up and dying too early, doing too little damage, and such things. Worse, when I ask for tips from those who become sarcastic, they only tell me "you need brains", "you just suck", "mad cos bad", and so on - that's NOT HELPFUL AT ALL (*cough* sorry caps, I'm rather annoyed) (And yes, the first and third did happen, not gonna name and shame)

Maybe I need to be less aggressive? I'm still on the mindset of 'stick together', but it doesn't seem to be working at all. Or maybe I just need better training? I don't know! I just need your advice - all of it, don't leave out any details!

Sorry if I seem desperate here - it's just that I'm not doing my Timby justice by letting her die like that...
And besides, I'm pissed at those who keep making sarcastic remarks without actually helping.

Please?

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:25 AM

Bleh. Sorry about that. "Stay with the group" is a good start. Use cover when you're not shooting or cooling off. Look away between shots (torso twisting). The one downside of a TBR is that they are priority targets. Also, consider looking for a group. You'll learn much faster with vets giving you specific advice based on your play.

#8 Questia

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:58 AM

By priority targets you mean the types that make enemies go KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT?
If so, then... hmm... how does someone fight so well in this. Flank, maybe? Or something else that I don't quite get? There are just some others who can sneak around in a friggin' 75 tonner...

I envy those who get 300+ damage and at least 1 kill consistently - that's already a good game for me. Maybe it's just the fault of 'badISPia' (e.g. really bad ping, 300 is already good, average 400-900, unplayable at 1400+), but I rarely if ever get good games.

And it hurts, really. So I'm really holding out for help.

#9 Zechs Deluca

• Pip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

What they are saying is your mech is more of a support fighter, second line if you will. Either A: stick with some snipers to deter light and med harassers from getting to them or B: Follow closely behind a brawler and time your shots with him (or them). Make sure you push 'R' to see where they hit at, they take out the armor and you make swiss cheese out of the internals. That tactic works well with my Firebrand 'Plastic Surgeon' 2 L Pusle 4 Med Pulse. the 2 on your arms and the 4 med on ur torso. (coolshot 9x9 is your best friend for the O crap this guy is coming after me)

#10 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Timberwolves are high priority targets and their silhouettes are easy to distinguish so they can get focused if you are overly aggressive.

Make full use of cover that maps provide and work to not be a target when you do engage. And sometimes you can use your high priority status to aide a teammate in a push too.

But only 4 ERMLs? I hope you are using your full tonnage since there is no benefit to going into matches with less than 75 tons.

#11 PACoFist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationThe Eye Of Chaos

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostWarWolfSW, on 08 March 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

A beginner player (especially one in a heavy mech) should look to play a support role either directly or indirectly to something that is a "bigger" threat than your chosen Mech i.e: DireWolf, KingCrab, Atlas, etc. Finding a "friend" who is the same speed as you or slower also helps since you'll be able to keep pace or keep up with them i.e: Any heavy Clan or IS Mech.

This is a gold tip. Find the Fatties of your group and follow them. Assault mechs draw a lot of aggression, so if you follow them around, chances are good that you are not the priority target any more.
Since (most) assault mechs are really slow they are easily outmaneuvered. Therefore they really need support. A lonely assault mech is a dead assault mech.
So you can both benefit by teaming up. They draw enemy fire and you protect and support them.

Another tip:
Read the forums, you can learn a lot here. For example this is a good read for beginners:
http://mwomercs.com/...dvanced-topics/

#12 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

One quick word of additional advice: refrain from playing while events with a kill requirement last. Those days are rightly called Lurmageddon and as long as you don't have that super-expensive Radar Deprivation module (15k GXP and 6M C-Bills), you won't have much fun during these matches.

I know, I've been there.

#13 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

U cant walk without crawl first. Give urself time. Going in the cockpit of a TimberWolf u are argually in the best mech of the game, now u just need to use it correctly.

#14 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

Do not play Conquest or Skirmish mode yet. Big boys with nasty mechs waiting there to eat new players.
Stick to Assault mode untill You earn equpment.

Edit:

As WarWolfSW said: Patience is the best weapon! Nobody is forcing You as a new player to be in a brawl frontline or to enter dark corners or tunnels alone.

Edited by ExoForce, 08 March 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#15 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

My advice would be to stick behind the front lines and not overextend yourself. Use the range on those LPLS to stay at range and not get to close to where all the brawling is going on, you can't really brawl in that. I wish you the best of luck on the battlefield!

#16 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:22 AM

To be frank lasers require some burn time to deal their full damage. This makes you unable to twist your torso to spread damage until you are done with the shot. It is also easy to trace the laser back to its source and return fire at the offending mech.
Don't move out of cover to take a shot when you know they are looking in your direction.
Don't do the "peek-a-boo" like what some others do, you receive more damage than you deal most times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users