3 replies to this topic

#1 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

I have long thought bad thoughts whenever the topic of PGI's COmmunity Warfare, Planet-Selection and Invasion-Pathing algorithm comes up.

Invariably it is because there is a problem with its selection of worlds/pathing toward Terra.

Thus OP's genesis/greater-context is: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4228538

PGI's algorithm needs to be cut some slack. Please consider that it is supposed to replicate 10 Faction Governance and Military Leadership chains influence on planet selection and pathing toward Terra for the Clans and inter-Factional combat for the Houses of the Inner Sphere.

I do have four suggestions for logarithm/conflict-narrative management:

1). ALWAYS have someone QA/QC all planets from each Ceasefire Cycle BEFORE they are released. And no it shoulder be Paul, HE has more important coding decisions, gameplay questions, graphic selections/approvals to be worrying about / making that trying to parse through all the very (interesting to a Lorist but, no doubt dull as a box of rocks to everyone else) many permutations and merits of individually tailoring world selection for each of 10 factions. There is a lot of value here... and potential I will expand on in #2 below, that to leave it ALL in the hands of an algorithm. This is true. But most BattleTech Lorists can advice planet aelection... Paul has moe important fixes to make, changes to craft and guidance that needs developing.

2). NO ONE would really mind if the algorithm's "World selection" selection process was biased toward Weekend Euro-cycle and NA-cycle #EventsOfEPICNESS. The two most significant Lore-centric Battles thus far have been the Battle of Tukayyid and the Battle of Luthien. With just a little bit of build up (more on one possible way to do this will be included in #3) entire Factions would have looked forward to participating in both, rather than the very few for Tukayyid and barely more than a double-handful for Luthien.

3). Publish to each Faction a list of the next three systems LIKELY to attacked next for each sister-Faction that can be attacked. I say "LIKELY" because it can ALWAYS be superseded (this happens in real-life Military Operations as intelligence collection either realizes unexpected opportunities OR discovers suddenly unacceptable risks.) Thus carrots AND sticks can be held out to each Faction. If CSJ knew that Tukayyid would be "uncovered" and vulnerable to FRR attack should a nearby world be lost, CSJ CW-gamers just might react appropriately and invest more gamer-hours into that "shielding" planets defense. Similarly CSJ knowing that if we took and held BOTH Kilmarnock and Leiston, we would indeed have a shot at the Second Battle of Luthien... WELL that would coalesce an exceptionally large Faction/Community response in preparation for just such a possibility.

4). Have 3-5 biographies be developed for each Faction, ensuring all manner of political motivation is present for each Faction. That way as the logarithm/man-in-the-loop chooses Stars:

- in a direct line to Terra
- back out toward the periphery
- pinching off another Clan's path to Terra
- or just meandering aimlessly from honey-cultivating/mead-swilling planet to honey-cultivating/mead-swelling planet, like an FRR MechWarrior stumbling his/her way home after a head night out at the Clubs, just looking for that one-more late night mead-hall.

...there will be an easy to find rationale for just such a pathing decision leading to that world's selection.

As a matter of fact MANY true BattleTech Lorists / MWO Gamers would actually COMPETE to have 1000-word write-ups of their favorite Faction (CSJ and Kurita for me) used as the basis to establish MWO Faction Leadership non-player-characters once posted to their respective Faction Tabs in-game.

There... I feel better now. I have now posted this to Features Suggestions and will now Tweet this OP to Paul and Paul and the greater MWO Twitterverse.

As ever I will endeavor to respond in a timely manner to all constructive criticisms, comments and questions.

Good luck and good gaming!

#2 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

I work weekends and play during days, those epic battles should last a week not just one weekend

#3 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

View PostGeist Null, on 23 February 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

I work weekends and play during days, those epic battles should last a week not just one weekend

Agreed.

I was thinking too "inside the box" of just using one 8-hour cycle for Battle.

While EPIC 100-sector Battles (like Russ spoke of during last week's townhall) might be weeks or months off, taking 7-days of three 8-hour cycles each (for a total of 21-cycles) and using a "Best of 21" format would be an OUTSTANDING means of deciding Battles like Tukayyid (should have been ALL Clans verses ALL Inner Sphere though IMO), Luthien (it DID occur in Lore after all) and Terra (again with the ALL Clans verses ALL Inner Sphere.

Yes truly, a "Best of 21" Cycle Combat Series would be EPICNESS right now!

...and set the stage for a 100-Sector Battle of Terra down the timeline.

To "proof this concept" I suggest once Clan Wolf or Clan Ghost Bear reaches Tukayyid, that some variant of the "Best of 21" idea be run BUT this time around it should be an INCLUSIVE EVENT.

Let ALL Clans participate directly verses All Inner Sphere. PGI can even things up by FOR ALL FACTIONS eliminating ALL other Attack and Defend options EXCEPT Tukayyid.

Or if that is too restrictive, permit ALL Factions a Round-Robin-style of 1 Attack and 1Defense option per Faction IN ADDITION to a Tukayyid option.

Key to these suggestions is that to me, these do not seem to involve near the level of game coding work or expense.

While I would GREATLY PREFER Russ' Townhall idea of a 100-Sector Combat for Tukayyid and Terra, if that isn't available quite when Tukayyid is reach here in the near-future a "Best of (some number)" of cycle contest would be VASTLY preferable to #NothingSpecial.

Thank you for your response, you are of course quite correct!

#4 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:03 AM

while this game is based on bt, and the tech is derived from the story, i believe events like the battle of tukayyid should not be achieved by saying "go this route and meet there", but rather let the players go anywhere, and setting an environment where it will be favoured to compete for that map (so the story will be loosely followed)

so, open all border maps, that should be the only algorithm imo
make planets mean something, so factions have some purpose
make special planets worth more, have longer cycles, or additional mechanics, there need to be distinct "we are the best" bragging rights (and ingame rewards for faction (permanent units) or unit (mercs)) to drive the competition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users