Hitboxes

13 replies to this topic

#1 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

How about we make it so the area of the hitbox on the Torsos where the LT|CT|RT meet, split the damage between the torsos?

Thoughts?

#2 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:05 PM

That in and of itself creates a new hitbox. (which would only take damage applied to it, which would then mean you need another hit box to split between the new hitbox, and the LT for instance, for when it hits the line between the new hitbox, and the LT, repeat ad nasuem...)

Its like suggesting you tell what time it is with a blueberry pie.

Its non sequitur.

Edited by KraftySOT, 08 March 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#3 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 08 March 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

That in and of itself creates a new hitbox. (which would only take damage applied to it, which would then mean you need another hit box to split between the new hitbox, and the LT for instance, for when it hits the line between the new hitbox, and the LT, repeat ad nasuem...)

Its like suggesting you tell what time it is with a blueberry pie.

Its non sequitur.

I fail to see the issue, its not a 'new' hitbox, it is using the location between CT and ST to split the damage taking over both torsos.

C-ER-PPCs already do this, but this is just an idea.

#4 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

No no youre missing how it works.

If I hit the CT with a C-ERPPC it fires off an RNG that moves the 5 damage to a location next to it. It has nothing to do with 'hit' being near the edge of a hitbox. So that makes no difference and youre still not understanding what youre saying.

Now some hitboxes in some games, have a detection that says what part of said hitbox you hit. We dont have that. Because we have more hitboxes than most other games have being tracked, ours simply detects "You have hit this hitbox"

If you want to differeniate between "the top left part of this hitbox" you need, a NEW hitbox. Thus increasing the number of hitboxes.

Now youre in a situation where if that new hitbox is hit, and hit at the edge, next to another hitbox, it still has no way of saying to the other hitbox, hey, you should take some damage because youre close to me!

So no, C-ERPPC DONT already do that, they function entirely differently.

#5 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

And I havent fired up crysis in a while but im pretty sure its multiple "frames" or "parts" or "boxes" that are made into a single "group" thus hitbox, before rendering in the engine, or as it renders in the engine.

It doesnt know, you hit the top left of the hitbox group, or the bottom right of the hitbox group, just that the hitbox group was hit, and that it needs to apply damage.

Like shooting the thumb on a Centurions hand, isnt any different than shooting the Shield, or the top of the shoulder. Its all the arm.

The engine isnt told to make that distinction because our "players" arent just one hitbox group, theyre .. what 11? 12?

#6 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

If we keep doing that, eventually what we'd end up with is just one torso hit box and damage just count against the whole thing. Then we just blob in the arms and legs and hey presto...

#7 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

No what it would do is let mechs with terrible torso hit boxes be able to withstand a little bit more damage than normal. I don't see how this is an issue since even if they would have to create a new hitbox (which they shoudln't) it's easy and it doesn't give the mech an unfair advantage since certain mechs (looking at you Stormcrow, Firestarter, and Timber) already essentially do this due to the layout of the hitboxes (and hitreg for Firestarter). It's a good idea

#8 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

Inception Hitboxes?

#9 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:07 PM

I suggested this over a year ago but I think I couldnt phrase it simple enough.

I still think it's a good idea, though some expressed concern over further hitreg complication. Consider extending this idea to all other in-between sections too.

#10 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,663 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 08 March 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

ow youre in a situation where if that new hitbox is hit, and hit at the edge, next to another hitbox, it still has no way of saying to the other hitbox, hey, you should take some damage because youre close to me!

So no, C-ERPPC DONT already do that, they function entirely differently.

Actually, it could do that, it is just that it would probably require a bit different collision resolution. If a weapon can tell a hitbox it has been hit, which then passes up the message to the mech, this can be done. C-ERPPCs pretty much function in this way, it passes along the message (which has some probably has some id to the hitbox hit) through the graph of sections (which has knowledge of both its parent and child). These new hitboxes would just be put in between the two correlating sections as far as the graph goes and have some special handling since it isn't directly associated with a section.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 08 March 2015 - 11:16 PM.

#11 Macster16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

What I think should be implemented should be damage reduction for some mechs depending on where on the hitbox it gets hit. For example:

The back "shell" of the King Crab should take less damage if shot from above. I mean, what's the point of designing it like a crab if it ain't gonna function like it and it would help with lurms which really **** crabs being the way they're shaped. Other examples would be the Dire Wolf/Warhawk canvasses and the Centurion left arm.

#12 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:22 PM

Here's an interesting thought.

If we blob up all the hit boxes into one massive hit box, but then calculate hit locations separately per hit "on paper", we can effectively simulate the oft-requested "cone of fire" effect.

Not that I'm for either, but it is a possibility.

#13 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

But we totally have a mechanic, that divides damage between hitboxes! Cant recall the right name, had something to do with twisting and a torso.

#14 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:19 AM

Per Poly hit detection?

Didn't ID software try to do something like that way back with Doom-3?

I know they did it with their decal system, wasn't sure if it got applied for the damage system, been a long time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users