• The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

Most of the maps aren't even designed with 12v12 in mind. Reducing solo queue match sizes to 8v8 would really help shift the game to being self focused and less reliant on ones team. It should improve quality of matches and reduce TTK.

#2 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:04 PM

<p>Other than one or two maps....no....want 8v8, prIvate qUeue</p>
<div style="left: -1000px; top: 8px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>
<div style="left: -1000px; top: 8px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>

#3 Wolfwood592

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 505 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostDeathlyEyes, on 09 March 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

Most of the maps aren't even designed with 12v12 in mind. Reducing solo queue match sizes to 8v8 would really help shift the game to being self focused and less reliant on ones team. It should improve quality of matches and reduce TTK.

Agreed. 12v12 was never a good move except for MAYBE one or two maps.

#4 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

I'd love to see
4v4 on the smaller maps
8v8 on all maps
12v12 only on the bigger maps

And for the lore nerds like me:
12 IS v 10 Clan on big maps
8 IS v 5 Clan on small maps

#5 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Bump

#6 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

I've always supported mixed team sizes in the same queue. It lets us have large 12v12 matches, but alleviates crowding on the small maps and also makes it easier on the matchmaker because it will only look need to look for 24-player matches half of the time.
  • 8v8 for the six smaller maps.
  • 12v12 for the six larger maps.

Edited by Tarogato, 16 March 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#7 jay35

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

Please don't reduce the solo queue player count. I'd like to still have a shot at Deathstar and Ace of Spades, and the less enemy players there are, the less chance at either of those (among other achievements).

I also happen to find all of the maps play just fine with 12v12. A couple are fairly crowded, but even that is a different experience and kind of fun in its own way.

#8 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:57 PM

I'd REALLY like this on some maps, but I wonder if it would have a negative effect on paying for the servers.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 16 March 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#9 WeatherWitch

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:04 PM

I think 12 vs 12 is far more fun and interesting than 8 vs 8. I like that you need to play as part of the team to win, if you want to play alone there are lots of single player games.

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 16 March 2015 - 07:57 PM, said:

I'd REALLY like this on some maps, but I wonder if it would have a negative effect on paying for the servers.

That's the reason we've been given in the past- that the way servers are instanced means stuffing more players into a match is better for their server loads than splitting the same number of players into more matches.

Of course, the resulting gameplay benefits from not having 150% of the intended player count in a map might make more people enjoy playing, and spending money. I don't have the numbers, but I guess PGI do, and they think smaller server bills makes up for having worse games.

#11 Jackie Hawker

• PipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

View Poststjobe, on 09 March 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'd love to see
4v4 on the smaller maps
8v8 on all maps
12v12 only on the bigger maps

And for the lore nerds like me:
12 IS v 10 Clan on big maps
8 IS v 5 Clan on small maps

wouldn't 4 IS vs 5 Clan and 8 IS vs 10 Clan make more sense? albeit with a stricter weight limit imposed on the clans to try and keep balance.
Mind you I'm not a huge lore nerd and that's just how I tend to do it in MegaMek.

#12 Lulz Kev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:32 PM

I like 12 v 12, i don't think it should be removed.

Add 8 v 8 if the community wants it but don't completely remove 12 v 12. Just optimize the games performance and make new maps designed around 12s.

#13 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

View Postaniviron, on 16 March 2015 - 08:18 PM, said:

That's the reason we've been given in the past- that the way servers are instanced means stuffing more players into a match is better for their server loads than splitting the same number of players into more matches.

Of course, the resulting gameplay benefits from not having 150% of the intended player count in a map might make more people enjoy playing, and spending money. I don't have the numbers, but I guess PGI do, and they think smaller server bills makes up for having worse games.

We're never going back, or at least not for a while
I think Russ already tweeted such a statement
The community cried way too load to get 12v12 back in the day for that to happen (pfft, I remeber people making a claim that we'd get more tactics with 12vs12)

Of course the maps are too small; they there designed for 16 players

Heh
I remember people shouting they want a really dark map since frozen city night is sooo bright
Hence river city night
Or maps are too small and favor brawling too much
So we got Alpine
Gotta be careful what you want in this game, might turn out to be really bad in the long run
Like increasing the hitboxes on raven legs since hitreg and rubberbanding was so bad
Hitreg is better now, but hitboxes stayed the same
Relics of the past don't get cleaned up fast in MWO :D

Sigh I miss 8vs8
One person was able to turn around things
Now that groups are separate from solo, that might be nicer all together

At least put new players (like <100 matches, or any number that seems reasonable) in a 8vs8 (maybe 4vs4 <40 matches?)

#14 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:45 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 16 March 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

We're never going back, or at least not for a while
I think Russ already tweeted such a statement
The community cried way too load to get 12v12 back in the day for that to happen (pfft, I remeber people making a claim that we'd get more tactics with 12vs12)

Of course the maps are too small; they there designed for 16 players

Heh
I remember people shouting they want a really dark map since frozen city night is sooo bright
Hence river city night
Or maps are too small and favor brawling too much
So we got Alpine
Gotta be careful what you want in this game, might turn out to be really bad in the long run
Like increasing the hitboxes on raven legs since hitreg and rubberbanding was so bad
Hitreg is better now, but hitboxes stayed the same
Relics of the past don't get cleaned up fast in MWO :D

Sigh I miss 8vs8
One person was able to turn around things
Now that groups are separate from solo, that might be nicer all together

At least put new players (like <100 matches, or any number that seems reasonable) in a 8vs8 (maybe 4vs4 <40 matches?)

Yeah, I remember these things too. Not all of them turned out badly- we got Tourmaline right after Alpine, and it's almost the same size, just not completely empty like Alpine is. I'd love to see more maps like that. I maintain that River Night is the right brightness too- I could see the complaining if we didn't have nightvision, maybe.

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

View Postaniviron, on 16 March 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember these things too. Not all of them turned out badly- we got Tourmaline right after Alpine, and it's almost the same size, just not completely empty like Alpine is. I'd love to see more maps like that. I maintain that River Night is the right brightness too- I could see the complaining if we didn't have nightvision, maybe.

well my golden Direwolf confirms that not all is bad ;)
actually I rather like Tourmaline

but I do think that changes that can have an effect on everything from gameplay, ttk, customer satisfaction and even fps should be tested out more on the test server for far longer

if that would've happened in the past I bet we would have 12vs12 only on the big maps and still 8vs8 on the maps that had been designed with 8vs8 in mind

also river city night suffers from counter clockwise tactics, not really from the darkness B) , it just came to me as an example of "careful what you wish for" since not everyone likes it

#16 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

I dunno man, I really enjoy having twelve enemies to shoot at.

'SanityIsOptional' had a cool idea of having dropship mode on some of the smaller maps like FC and RS, with 4v4.. I think that would actually be really fun.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users