- - - - -

Dum Newby Questions

20 replies to this topic

#1 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

im using a jenner ive added a targeter but how do i know if, my team can rain down missles ?.

all so i love the hart pounding with a little meck. but wont to move bigger all that happends is i get slapped so hard, is it use full to the team to have a light meck with a targeter i tend to use it every time i see one in range and when im up close ?
sry for the spellings i have dexlica and could not see a spell checker

#2 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:28 AM

There is no way to know what your team is bringing without knowing in advance (being in their group) or asking them.

Tag is only situationally useful, definitely not something you want unless you know someone on your team needs that kind of assistance.

#3 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

It IS useful for any team to have a good targeting mech. Here in MWO, we call them scouts. Scouts often drop heaver weapons in favor of equipment that allows them to target enemies and check locations at greater distances. The Jenner isn't generally suited to scouting, it's more designed as an infighter that harasses much larger mechs. It works well with other light chassis as a group that we call a "wolf pack."

If you want to drop an energy weapon in favor of a TAG laser, that's a great idea. Load your build here:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

For example, if you have the JR7-D variant, you might want to set it up like this:
JR7-D

That will give us an idea of how to tweak your build so that you can get the most out of it.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 07 March 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#4 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

You can tell if they are tagged by the cross over their head. It's a laser point so you have to keep the beam on them as long as possible. When that cross is followed by what looks like three lighting bolts, that means some one is firing LRMs on it.

It is very useful for your team with a Light TAG mech as long as you have guys on your team with LRMs.

#5 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

thank you to ever one, i do like getting in there and fighting but as im realy still lurning as in when to go in when to wate, for now i will keep the targeter on so when in not shier i can still help out may be, my right arm is a medum laser, and targeter and left is 2 med pulse lasers

#6 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

View Postscottbear, on 07 March 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

thank you to ever one, i do like getting in there and fighting but as im realy still lurning as in when to go in when to wate, for now i will keep the targeter on so when in not shier i can still help out may be, my right arm is a medum laser, and targeter and left is 2 med pulse lasers

If I had to guess, then I'm assuming you have the -K variant. In that case, I'll defer to the Jenner pilots, but I'd set it up like this:
JR7-K

#7 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

its the jr7-f ive only been playing for a few days im going to move up to that one and a other dum newb question how do i bring up that wicked screan in game the one with every think layed out

#8 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

http://i371.photobuc...zpshjsrmnnd.jpg

#9 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:07 AM

View Postscottbear, on 07 March 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

im using a jenner ive added a targeter but how do i know if, my team can rain down missles ?.

all so i love the hart pounding with a little meck. but wont to move bigger all that happends is i get slapped so hard, is it use full to the team to have a light meck with a targeter i tend to use it every time i see one in range and when im up close ?
sry for the spellings i have dexlica and could not see a spell checker

TAG is good, but if you can handle using Narc I would use that instead. You have to hold TAG on your target, leaving your mech open to fire. But a Narc you can shoot and hide, and the bonus lasts for quite long enough for your allies to rain the hate.

TAG is not very useful unless your allies have lrms. Narc is VERY useful, even without lrms. You can mark the location of enemies for your allies, and even if they don't have lrms they will probably attempt to focus-fire the narc'd mech. It weighs a bit more than the TAG, but for a Jenner your best use of all the energy hardpoints are small/medium lasers.

#10 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

thank you i wont pretend to know what i am doing at the moment lol i used to play the bord game, watched some of macks videos and thort i have a go and **** im loving it

#11 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:14 AM

Well, a few things first - You'll want to upgrade to double heat sinks, endo steel structure, and when you can afford it, change to an XL 300 engine.
I would load it like this:
JR7-F

It'll be about 2.3 million for the upgrades and another 5 or so for the engine.

And don't worry too much about being the best right now. The new player experience is definitely not as good as it should be. It'll probably be at least a hundred matches before you start feeling a little more confident. Some of us have played literally (not figuratively) tens of thousands of matches.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 07 March 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#12 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

thank you

#13 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

View Postscottbear, on 07 March 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

To see the quick and dirty detail of your mech like that, all you need to do is select the mech, which is your Jenner as it's your only mech, and select the dark blue box under the mech that says "mech details".

Just so you know, even though this allows you to check out everything on your mech, you can't change anything in that window. At least not yet anyway.

#14 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

pls can any one spot what ive done rong as i carnt even get the last puse laser on as to much wight this one is http://i371.photobuc...zpsjqvy6ztt.png

#15 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

View Postscottbear, on 07 March 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

pls can any one spot what ive done rong as i carnt even get the last puse laser on as to much wight this one is http://i371.photobuc...zpsjqvy6ztt.png

Building it on Smurfy you are a quarter ton short (Unless I missed something)

Edit: I would recommend running something like this while you save up for a bigger engine

Jenner are VERY XL safe (due to small side torso) and usually run an XL300

Use the ML for ranged attacks - and the Smalls for when people get close.

JJ let you turn faster - and if you do not use them often you could strip them for more DHS.

Note what I did to the CT armor - your front center is VERY big - but your rear is very small
(And with your twist range, you can keep your rear torso away from people fairly easily)

Here is what mine looks like

Edited by Shar Wolf, 07 March 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#16 scottbear

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

thank you

#17 Dennma

• PipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 21 posts
  • LocationFRR, unknown Coordinates

Posted 07 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

Scottbear,

Welcome aboard!

A TAG can be quite useful. I have one mounted in the CT (Center Torso) of each SDR-Spider build I run.

Mounting these in the CT is a good idea if you have the hardpoint on your chassis, because a light mech with a TAG in the center CT will still be useful to the team after losing both weapon arms, and a Center torso mounted laser is of limited use because the Torso can't twist as much on the Y-axis.

Another way to run a TAG build is to mount it under a weapon in the arm so you can fire and paint enemies without adjusting your torso aim, though again, I would go with a second energy weapon if you have 2 slots in one arm.

As far as that build goes, I personally wouldn't stress over the MPL's so much. They run hot, and are much more expensive C-Bill wise. A small pulse laser weighs 1 ton rather than 2, gives half the heat, and deals only .08 less damage per second than a MPL does. As a light mech, the Jenner (in my opinion) benefits more from a few standard medium lasers and maybe 2 or 3 SPL's. MPL's are something to look at for medium 'mechs and heavies. The 2 point overall damage difference between a medium pulse laser may look like a lot, but bear in mind that you can fit more onto your hardpoints due to the reduced weight of the SPL.

Shar's build looks good, as there isn't really a big difference between small lasers and small pulse lasers.

Edited by Dennma, 08 March 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:12 AM

View Postscottbear, on 07 March 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be50b5f5480528b
Okay, so I see you're trying to install a large laser.

Here's the issue you are having. There are 1.75-ish tons available to you. Your problem is you need 5 tons.

You have a few options, which include but are not limited to, removing equipment, reducing armor, things like that.

Your core problem? Your engine weighs too much. There's a series of engines called "XL" which is short for Extra Light.

This shows the same build with an XL 245 instead of a STD 245 engine. There are now 7.75 tons free. You can remove Ferro Fibrous armor to get 7 tons free (and 14 slots free).
I then reallocated the armor given hitbox considerations (cockpit is nearly impossible to hit unless stationary, large frontal hitboxes, legs/arms under-armored)... So with this layout there's still 7 tons free.

However, I used the 245 engine as a demonstration of weight difference, instead of buying an XL 245 I'm sure you'd like to go faster.

I raised the engine to XL 265 and added the large laser you wanted here. Also, did you intend to use 4 medium lasers, a medium pulse and a large laser? It's in your picture for some reason.

My personal build for this Jenner is found here. Yes, it's slow. You'll notice the head armor is back up; this mech spends a bit of time standing still. The XL 180 is highly reusable especially with 35 and 45 ton mechs.
Video can be found here, sadly due to an editing error you'll see the second half first then the first half. (It introes with a Jager battle).

Edited by Koniving, 09 March 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 March 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

Okay, so I see you're trying to install a large laser.

I read this in the style of the MS Office paperclip lol.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 08 March 2015 - 07:10 PM, said:

I read this in the style of the MS Office paperclip lol.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users