11 replies to this topic

#1 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

I just wanted to point out that the hunchback is limited to a 275 engine, which gives it a top speed of 98 kph which is good but looking at the other 50 ton mechs available, they go all the way up to 360, which makes those builds a lot more flexible.

I was wondering if there is some explanation for this or if it is just an oversight that can be rectified

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Those other mechs have a different and higher base speed to begin with. If you look at the low tech enforcer variants, with the same base speed, you will notice that they are just as slow as the Hunchback.

This is to differentiate the mechs from each other. Those mechs trade speed for a bigger payload by design. It's only natural to represent that in the customization options.

(not to mention that I have seen a time where 400XL hunchbacks ruled the battlefield and I don't want to see something like that coming back ;) )

Edited by Egomane, 11 March 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#3 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

The hunchback is a slow powerhouse medium, hell, 64kph works with it.

#4 Iothil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMan-at-Arms' couch...

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostBurktross, on 11 March 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

The hunchback is a slow powerhouse medium, hell, 64kph works with it.

Yup, speed is not the hallmark of the hunchies, but an insanely powerful loadout is. Hunchbacks can still trump up with brilliant hardpoints (4P- Most energy hardpoints for IS, or 4G/H with high seating ballistic slots) and making them faster would probably make them too strong.

#5 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostNighthawk88, on 11 March 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Hello,

I just wanted to point out that the hunchback is limited to a 275 engine, which gives it a top speed of 98 kph which is good but looking at the other 50 ton mechs available, they go all the way up to 360, which makes those builds a lot more flexible.

I was wondering if there is some explanation for this or if it is just an oversight that can be rectified

PGI has an official equation that determines max engine size based on the engine the stock 'mech comes with. Based on that equation, the maximum engine size a Hunchback can have is a 260 and in fact this was the maximum for almost 2 years. Only recently did they decide to make a second exception (the first was for the Centurion) to the rule so that the Hunchback could have a 275. That means that, unlike most other IS 'mechs, the Hunchback already has a bigger engine maximum than normal.

#6 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:30 PM

Pretty much what everyone else said, Hunchies = firepower, not speed.

Also i just want to point something out:

looking at the other 50 ton mechs available, they go all the way up to 360

There are only two variants of 50 tonners that can use a 360 (or higher) and that's the Centurion-D and the Trebuchet-3C. Some others can mount higher than 275 for sure, but definitely not 360.

#7 WintermuteOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:24 AM

Anyone remember those Beta-times without Engine restrictions?
We had our 9SL Hunchies at insane speeds running up to you like lights and then squish you. These Hunchies are the main reason there are enigne restrictions in the first place.

#8 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

Back in the days* Hunchbacks could field larger engines. But then the light 'Mech pilots complained that their 'Mechs were useless because mediums would take their roles on the battlefield.

*those days were soooo back that the available light 'Mechs at the time were the Jenner and...nothing else.

#9 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

Superb responses everyone thank you. Its clear it was intentional for balance so I can live with it.

Its a shame though because a build like a 5ML 2xSRM6 hunchie, running anti light ops, or strike missions is not entirely unacceptable as it is similar in doctrine to a jenner D, which needs speed to get into 270m range, and make use of cover against LRMs andlong range direct fire when crossing open terrain which I like to do as quickly as possible.

I`m not saying let the hunchie run at 150 kph but maybe it should have the option to get pretty close to the mark. The 40t cicada has a variant that has 6Mlas (I think) and mounts a 320xl (in my build), which is effectively a medium Jenner F. If that is considered balanced, why not a hunchie mounting a 300-320xl tops?

I`m just more of a close up high speed pilot that wants to use heavier mechs in a pouncing or striking role. I mean my atlas has a 355 engine and hits around 65 kph. It surprises more than one on the battlefield lol

#10 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:54 AM

I run my TBT-3C similar to what you're wanting to do with a 4SP.

360xl, LRM15, and 4 ML. When I play conquest, this is my go to mech.

If you want something with a larger engine and still maintain the same overall size of an HBK, have you considered the Wolverine? It's a 55 tonner, but with a 360XL, you'll max out at 116 w/speed tweak. The 6k with a 375xl max engine will put you at 121.5 kph.

#11 --Saint--

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hmmm, yes I looked at the wolverine and it seems like a nice possibility, shame its so ugly with that weird head lol

The Trebuchet however is of interest, I`ve come across a few expert pilots who proceeded to dismember me rather quickly, I might just buy one!

Recently though I took a look at the champion griffin -1e I think its called, but anyhow it also seems to fit the bill for a fast moving laser SRM striker, plus it has jump jets which is a literal life saver for a set up like this (thinking of my jenners here)

#12 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

I would like to see the Hunch with a 250 engine cap :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users