Anyone Else Bugged By Weapon "placement"?

5 replies to this topic

#1 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:16 PM

So, yes, I'm going to come right out and admit to a certain amount of OCD right at the start here.

But Still, this is an issue that should have been easily solved:

WHY ON EARTH ARE THE WEAPONS ON MECHS SO DAMN UGLY AFTER YOU DO YOUR "WEAPON CUSTOMIZATION PASSES" ON THEM?

The poor Centurion lost his fapping arm, The Banshee has laser/AC holes drilled at total random into its chest , the Mist Lynx can't have symmetrical arms, The mad Dog had a "reduction" operation on it's gimpy arms, the K2... God the poor K2, it got de-wanged even harder than the Yen-Lo, My poor Kit Fox has babby lasers, the Raven lost its' tubes. The list goes on.

Small laser, large laser, medium pulse? Who knows it's all one shapeshifting block!
Ac10, Ac20? No difference that I can tell.
Missile tubes? Lets just slap them on willy-nilly like a five year old. (VCR's, I'm looking at you)
PPC scaling? the size of my pinky on a Kit-Fox, and as big as a locust on the Banshee,s left arm.

Yeah, it's cool that you guys are trying, and I appreciate that, but hot diggity damn, did someone spike the water fountains in your modeling department?

We want big Beefy AC's, we want laser lenses that actually show the differences between the types, an AMS that doesn't look like some un-textured mushroom sprouting from your mech, weapon placement that actually makes some semblance of sense, a PPC should actually look like a big scary particle-death-ray.

Lot to ask for I know, but hey, thats what we consumers do, right? I'm worried for the poor Cataphract, will it too receive the "Centurion" treatment?

Edited by dimachaerus, 11 March 2015 - 02:17 PM.

#2 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

Sarna.net

Look up some of the original art.

Not really sure what you are getting at though.

Edited by InspectorG, 11 March 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#3 Reitrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

Problem:
What this community says it wants and what it actually wants are two incredibly different things.

Big barrel ACs and PPCs, the Wangs huge cannon arm and big guns in general are all awesome to look at from an art perspective, but they're also incredible easy to hit ...
Therein lies the problem. We want the big cannon appearance, but won't touch anything with larger hitboxes because they're "bad".

The Wangs arm fell off within seconds of engagement because it was a huge easy target. Dragons have exactly the same problem.
The Wangs AC20 was considerably harder to hit in its new slimmer form, but people hate the appearance.

So make up your minds. Do you want great hitboxes or great art?

#4 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

Great art. Those who have to be uber competitive don't play those mechs anyway.

I'm not sure we really need different laser lenses, though, since the beams are already colored. I mean, sure, it would be great, but it's not at all the same priority as e.g. fixing the tacked on VCRs.

Also, consistent scaling across all mechs is never going to happen. There is simply not enough space in some hardpoint locations to add properly scaled weapons there. They would have to redesign the mech model completely. And in some cases, it's not even desirable, IMO. E.g. I don't mind that the Jager has long ass AC/5 cannons, it kind of gives the chassis a special touch.

#5 dimachaerus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 170 posts
  • LocationRichmond KY

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Quirks for more structure/armor are what compensates for the "huge" hit boxes, and honestly, while the wang's arm may be a bit slimmer, it's not nearly enough to make any real difference to the "try-hards" you're talking about. They never used that arm anyways, because they all run zombie builds, which would actually make the "larger" original arm better because it would act as a better shield for spreading damage.

What I'm mainly referring to is the total apathy of the modelers. Instead of the Cent's beautiful arm-cannon, we now have a very simple box with a helper on the end for a pre-generated weapon nubbin. The Catapult, instead of packing it's missiles inside the arm using varied sizes of missile tube blocks, has the hideous "VCR's" tacked onto it. the Banshee has absolutely no rhyme or reason to where autocannon and laser weapon models are placed, they're not even in straight lines, or staggered evenly, it's just sloppy, like someone stuck the helpers in place while drunk. The Right torso missile rack on the raven, put an SRM6 there and you get a column of four missiles, and a column of two missiles, why not just two columns of three? The double energy slot arms for the Mist lynx, the right has one laser mounted on the outside of the arm, and one below, while the left has one above and one below, not to mention their TREMENDOUS size (quite literally making the arm roughly three times as large) while the same lasers on the Kit fox's arms are tiny.

I'm not saying that things like the Jaeger having longer autocannon barrels is bad at all, hell I LOVE that, each mech SHOULD have it's own iteration of what a weapon should be on it, but all too often it's a hastily copy-pasted stump that is comically tiny/short for what it is meant to be. Look at the poor PPC black-jack, it's PPC's are smaller than machineguns on the "Arrow".

I know it's totally cosmetic in most cases, but it just shows a lack of effort/caring when even stuff like this is so sloppily handled. I KNOW the PGI guys can do better than this, I just wish they WOULD.

#6 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

I also find it dumb that the Timber Wolf has those extra missile pod mounts when you can easily fit 2xSRM6 inside the original ears.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users