So Many Battles Spent Stomping Around And

9 replies to this topic

#1 Capnflintlock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

you forget how big mechs truly are. Sure, you have buildings and cars around you. But they just seem like they're there for props. When you really think about it, and picture yourself as tall as a car on the ground, battlemechs are bloody huge. I can't imagine the sheer terror anti mech infantry squads would feel when going up against such colossal titans.

Speaking of which, having just played the games, you don't really get a sense of the bigger picture of combined arms going against mechs. Infantry often did get pitched against the fury of mechs, and carried infantry sized srms, mobile laser cannons on wheels, and etc. It's kind of sad no game has really managed to put that in, other than mech assault. (Other games had tanks, helicopters, aerofighters, etc, but I don't think any of them had infantry put in it other than mech assault)

Shooting mechs is sort of like piloting a plane in dogfights. You don't really see the other person you're shooting down/killing. Its almost like a sport. But when you get down to killing infantry, it gets real personal. I think that if another single player game got made, having infantry in would be a nice touch to the game, that would add depth in terms of the emotional stress it would put on the pilot.

ex.) You're a mercenary hired to crush rebel resistance on a planet. The initial stages of the war would have you against mechs and aero fighters. As time went on, you'd be fighting more tanks. Finally, when reaching the final stages of the war, you'd be attacking well dug in infantry squads, damaged mechs and tanks, and whatever scraps the resistance can throw together. You would be fighting a group of tired, battered, soldiers, who just want to protect their ideals and freedoms. You'd see them in their last stand, and essentially squash it out...

If you think the lore for this kind of stuff is interesting, you should read the gray death legion books, they have a lot of combined arms warfare going on.

Bonus for those that read the books, "coherent beams of light", "coherent beams of light" everywhere.

Edited by Capnflintlock, 11 March 2015 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

I want my Inferno SRMs. And FASCAM rounds.

#3 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:50 PM

I know MW3 had Elementals (power suit infantry). I think part of it is animating something that is on such a small scale and making it look good. Sort of Front Mission 3 for the PS1 (available for PSP and PS3 in the online PS store last I checked), the Wanzers looked good for the most part, but ejected pilots and such were expressionless and not well animated. I can only imagine how bad an infantry platoon would look in this game. I expect it would take a LOT of work to make it look good, and I doubt there'd be much return on that.

Still, maybe a couple tanks and such would be cool. I can only imagine how some players would react to rounding a blind corner and running face first into an SRM Carrier (almost as fragile as a Locust, barely mobile, but 10xSRM6).

#4 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 March 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Still, maybe a couple tanks and such would be cool. I can only imagine how some players would react to rounding a blind corner and running face first into an SRM Carrier (almost as fragile as a Locust, barely mobile, but 10xSRM6).

SRM Carrier or Demolishers in Crimson, LRM Carriers everywhere else, Alacorn and Schrecks on Alpine... people think mechs have high PPFLD? People think we should fight over flatter terrain? If PGI ever brings vehicles into the game, all of a sudden everyone would want to have a building and a half between them and the vehicles.

#5 lsp

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,618 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:04 AM

MW LL

#6 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

They should have built the maps from the perspective of being 6 feet tall and then inserted the mechs.

#7 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:20 PM

MWO mechs are massively over scaled, and the view is soo very wrong. It looks like were viewing the world from 300 feet up a tower, when in reality, mechs are no taller then your average 2-3 story house. THe cockpit is no bigger then the inside of a tractor trailer, and infact, likely smaller, perhaps the size of your own personal car.

An Ac20 is only about 150-203mm, which is only like 7-12 inches. AC10s are like 80-120mm, which is like 4-6 inches, so really, mechs are not quite as big as we all think. I used to think they were towering behemoths like the Jagers in Pacific Rim, but really they are not. They are 20-100 tons. 18 wheeler Semi trucks are like 20 tons unloaded, 40t fully loaded.

So really, if this game was properly scaled, mechs wouldnt be much bigger then the ones in Titanfall and BF2142. The view wouldnt be much different or higher either. You could probably drive a mech down an average rural road and have it fit fine, aside from bridges and power lines.....

But in MWo, you peer out and see a car as a little spec, barely rendering on your screen, trucks dont even pass your mech's ankles. MWO could be so much better if they did a serious overhaul of the scaling of mechs and everything.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 12 March 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#8 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

Different for everyone but IMO my mechs average about 6 feet tall and the cars are toys.

#9 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

If I remember correctly, they scaled the Mechs in Cry Engine to the Heights they were supposed to be,(rather than just putting a person shaped Mech in and scaling objects to it.) which in facts causes issues for them.

Most of the issues I have with scale is so much stuff is huge, like the Viridian Bog's giant bugs and huge trees, and other maps that just seem to have plants out of scale. This compounded by how the FOV works when you get close to stuff.

Some day I hope they get VR to work in this game, and give you a proper sense of scale, along with more maps that make you feel big.

On a side note, I would also like a Mechbay that you could walk around as a person in first person, to look up at your Mechs and get a feel for scale, and admire them. Similar to the Hangar Module in Star Citizen.

#10 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostCapnflintlock, on 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

you forget how big mechs truly are. Sure, you have buildings and cars around you. But they just seem like they're there for props. When you really think about it, and picture yourself as tall as a car on the ground, battlemechs are bloody huge. I can't imagine the sheer terror anti mech infantry squads would feel when going up against such colossal titans.

Speaking of which, having just played the games, you don't really get a sense of the bigger picture of combined arms going against mechs. Infantry often did get pitched against the fury of mechs, and carried infantry sized srms, mobile laser cannons on wheels, and etc. It's kind of sad no game has really managed to put that in, other than mech assault. (Other games had tanks, helicopters, aerofighters, etc, but I don't think any of them had infantry put in it other than mech assault)

Shooting mechs is sort of like piloting a plane in dogfights. You don't really see the other person you're shooting down/killing. Its almost like a sport. But when you get down to killing infantry, it gets real personal. I think that if another single player game got made, having infantry in would be a nice touch to the game, that would add depth in terms of the emotional stress it would put on the pilot.

ex.) You're a mercenary hired to crush rebel resistance on a planet. The initial stages of the war would have you against mechs and aero fighters. As time went on, you'd be fighting more tanks. Finally, when reaching the final stages of the war, you'd be attacking well dug in infantry squads, damaged mechs and tanks, and whatever scraps the resistance can throw together. You would be fighting a group of tired, battered, soldiers, who just want to protect their ideals and freedoms. You'd see them in their last stand, and essentially squash it out...

If you think the lore for this kind of stuff is interesting, you should read the gray death legion books, they have a lot of combined arms warfare going on.

Bonus for those that read the books, "coherent beams of light", "coherent beams of light" everywhere.

There were people and animals running around the maps in MW4, but that's all they did. They were all just noncombatants that you could vaporize if you felt like it.
MC and MC2 both have battle armor and infantry, both were extremely annoying to fight if your mechs were built for killing bigger units like tanks and mechs.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 12 March 2015 - 12:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users