#41 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

View PostTabu 73, on 14 March 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Was that sarcasm or were you being sardonic? If we're talking about assault mechs having trouble climbing altitude with only a couple of JJ then isn't the reason for this self evident? More weight requires more thrust, thus you need more JJ if you want to reach greater heights. Gravity affects how high you can travel but to say that all maps have 4G is rediculous. That said, I would like to see different levels of gravity for each map or at least the ones where it makes sense like HPG (which should be less than 1.0G).

It's actually factual.

ArmyofWon' said:

Yay! People remember what I've done!

Anyway, after I made that post I found the exact variable plugged into cryengine, that being p_gravity_z.

It's -36.3, roughly 4x Earth gravity. The -32 f/s/s was a guess because that's about what I was calculating while exploring JJ mechanics (still need to get around to a complete model for that...) and it makes more sense that gravity is... well, gravity. A mixed up unit conversion made more sense than a custom gravity at the time. Turns out they tuned the gravity because people felt like they were on the moon.

From a conversation I had with the wonderful Karl Berg:

Karl Berg' said:

We definitely tried more earth normal gravities at the start for physical realism, and absolutely no-one was happy with the results. Playtest feedback was also overwhelmingly negative.[/indent]

So that's that!

http://www.reddit.co...k_files/cpe7w96

Admittedly, I can't find those numbers myself. But, if Karl responded to it, it needs to have some truth.

Edited by Mcgral18, 14 March 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#42 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:33 AM

Feels great in my panther, but my heavy metal... has fallen FAR from grace. I know its on sale right now, but let Rhonda play her rifs in the "unsold" garage for now...

#43 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:35 AM

Robo why you have to say that.... I was gonna pick up the heavy metal.... Now I'm back on the fence..... Heavy metal, dragon slayer......misery.

#44 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Jump jets. The binky of the entitled.

Sorry, but jump jets worked TOO WELL and have been brought back in line to where they should have been. All you JJ fanatics will just have to get used to them as is.

Now if there are complaints regarding specific mechs then okay. But JJ on assault mechs are only an aid to maneuver, not an "I win" button.

#45 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:46 AM

Buff the jump jets and make the reticle jump like a weasle on Ecxstasy throughout the WHOLE jump and no poptarting is reliably possible.

#46 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 14 March 2015 - 11:44 AM, said:

Jump jets. The binky of the entitled.

Sorry, but jump jets worked TOO WELL and have been brought back in line to where they should have been. All you JJ fanatics will just have to get used to them as is.

Now if there are complaints regarding specific mechs then okay. But JJ on assault mechs are only an aid to maneuver, not an "I win" button.

Posted Image

#47 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Posted Image

#48 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:51 AM

Don't blame him he doesn't know the lore.... Or the awesomeness of a highlander burial

#49 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostArmorine, on 14 March 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Don't blame him he doesn't know the lore.... Or the awesomeness of a highlander burial
Exactly. There's even a reference in the Tech Manual 2750 haha

#50 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Sorry, but jump jets worked TOO WELL and have been brought back in line to where they should have been.

They only worked "TOO WELL" because they enabled pop-tarting. That wasn't the fault of the jump jets.

4 jump jets on an assault should give it exactly the same jump jet maneuverability as 4 jump jets on a light. That's how BattleTech works. That's how MWO should work.

If there's problems with pop-tarting, fix that. Don't destroy jump jets to do it.

#51 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

I have dream! A dream where highlanders frolic among the rooftops! A dream where life is about more then hovering up a hill! Where a battle mech is judged not by its weight but by the content of its jump jets!!!

#52 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

Am I the only one who thinks poptarting was a lot more fun, and required more skills than the staring contest we have right now?

#53 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

View PostPhra, on 14 March 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks poptarting was a lot more fun, and required more skills than the staring contest we have right now?

More skill?

And a hell of a lot less fun.

#54 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 14 March 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Myst Leeks seems like the only mech that gets 'air', just high enough to get its arms shot off at least.

If anything it gets too much air, you can jump on top of the high buildings starting at ground level on some maps and take enough fall damage to strip your leg armor right off even though you only actually fell a short distance. Something is not working the way it should there.
Since there are perfectly valid reasons for doing this in a match, I should advise people to never ever burn all their fuel on the way up, you're much better off coming up short and landing safely with the remaining fuel than reaching the top and promptly breaking both your legs due to a bugged jump.

I've been doing some testing and I found that the Enforcer ( and presumably other mediums ) can jump the plateaus on Viridian Bog with as little as 2 jump jets, though you will need to jump into the trees and jump from there to get up to the high ones. I might bring out my Victors soon to see what their jump jets can actually do nowadays.

#55 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 14 March 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

I've been doing some testing and I found that the Enforcer ( and presumably other mediums ) can jump the plateaus on Viridian Bog with as little as 2 jump jets, though you will need to jump into the trees and jump from there to get up to the high ones. I might bring out my Victors soon to see what their jump jets can actually do nowadays.

If you decide to do any further tests, press F9 - the third coordinate is height. That way you can calculate the exact height of any jump you do.

(I've half a mind of doing this myself - for science! - but I don't have any of the popular heavies or assaults with jump jets - nor any Clan 'mechs).

#56 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Jump sniping needs to end but JJs should still lift you enough to maneuver up on canyon with less than 4 full boosts.

#57 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostXetelian, on 14 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

Jump sniping needs to end but JJs should still lift you enough to maneuver up on canyon with less than 4 full boosts.

Jump sniping is default AI behavior in several other official mech games, so clearly it's a thing. It should be possible, it just shouldn't be easy.

#58 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 14 March 2015 - 02:08 PM, said:

Jump sniping is default AI behavior in several other official mech games, so clearly it's a thing. It should be possible, it just shouldn't be easy.

Even when it threatens the quality of our jump jets?

#59 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

I would be 100% behind screen shake during being in the air if it meant USEFUL jumpjets again... The **** we have now is only even useable on lights with max JJs.

#60 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:26 PM

View PostXetelian, on 14 March 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Even when it threatens the quality of our jump jets?

There are other ways to make jump sniping hard. Making torso twist and arm movement less accurate while jumping should help tremendously, give it an acceleration/deceleration rate while jumping because realistically there's nothing to brace the mech against while aiming from the air so you'd have much bigger issues with inertia.
You'd have to take a lot of time to line up your shot that way if you want to hit anything, but it can still be done.

Aim fast? You just skipped over your target and missed it by a mile. Aim slow? You're too slow hit anything that isn't spotted for you. It adds an entirely new skill for players to master, that is to control their mech's inertia while jumping so they can hit what they're shooting at.
If that turns out to be too easy, jump jet shake can always be used to randomize torso inertia a bit so you could fight against it to aim, or wait for it to stop so you can aim.

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users