Gameplay

28 replies to this topic

#1 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

I've noticed a trend lately where Lights have been committing suicide at the end of a match. Had a case just a few minutes ago where a Locust in good health committed suicide via Overheating, rather than fight it out with the Reds. Three of the enemy Mechs were heavily critted and ready to fall; he couldn't have won the match, but he could've taken a couple with him. Instead, he shorted himself and many other pilots (on both teams) additional points for the Challenge and committed Suicide. I don't get it; why on earth would you sign on to play this game if you aren't willing to go all the way?

Second behavior that I've noticed is on the rise is for Lights to hug your ankles. This didn't use to be an issue, but lately it seems that I've constantly getting hemmed in by Lights or blocked when trying to fall back/retreat. It's gotten me killed twice tonight.

I remember a time when Lights were fearless killers. When did this change?

What's the Community's thoughts on this? Has anyone else noticed a trend like this, or have I just been getting bad luck on the MM draw?

Thanks! :)

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

The trend I've seen is an extreme skyrocket in the number of Huginns roaming around...probably due to the event requirements of the weekend, at least somewhat.

Edited by FupDup, 13 March 2015 - 07:28 PM.

#3 Corbenik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

They sign up to play how ever they wanna play sadly it could be to troll or they have that lack of faith in their own skill.

#4 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 13 March 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

I remember a time when Lights were fearless killers. When did this change?

Well the Panther has made more lights within the main group, since they are slow so behave like mediums instead of running off solo. Peeking from behind legs is an effective Panther strategy.

Its a Hero sale and challenge, so people are playing unbasiced cheap light heros. Might not usually play lights, efficiencies not unlocked so holding back, stuff like that. Expect to see lots of fresh light heros over the weekend with pilots still learning their behavior.

#5 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

For me it's normally not suicide but the fact that even with dhs and elited heat skills unlocked on my com ecm it still runs hotter than mordor. I run the srm 4,srm 2 spl build a lot on it. Most the time I just want to fire and since I'm runing so dam hot with the over heat warning screaming in my ear I say hell with it and ride the override most of the match. If things didn't cost a fortune in cbills unless you want to spend real money on the hero mechs or premimum time I;d have other better mechs to use or at least a mech that is comabt cabable of using its weapons. Chainfire doesn't do jack except slow my rate of fire and you need a 30 or more alpha it seems to do any damage in this game.

I sold off the hbk4g,the other two comandos and an k2 all because they run too hot, or can't do crap in a fight with basic skills and dhs. I've done the dual ac20s,dual guass on the k2, the ac20 hbk, single srm2 and med laser on the coms. Saving up for a new mech,the dhs and the xl to even make the game playable sucks big time.

#6 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:47 PM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 13 March 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Well the Panther has made more lights within the main group, since they are slow so behave like mediums instead of running off solo. Peeking from behind legs is an effective Panther strategy.

Its a Hero sale and challenge, so people are playing unbasiced cheap light heros. Might not usually play lights, efficiencies not unlocked so holding back, stuff like that. Expect to see lots of fresh light heros over the weekend with pilots still learning their behavior.

True, but I'm seeing a lot of this behavior from Locusts, Jenners, and Spiders too. It's also not been this weekend alone; I've seen it all week. I was gone for about two weeks, return and find this kind of behavior, lol.

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:53 PM

I dunno, that sort of stuff often seems to be luck of the draw, and not exclusive to lights either.

#8 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostThreeStooges, on 13 March 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

For me it's normally not suicide but the fact that even with dhs and elited heat skills unlocked on my com ecm it still runs hotter than mordor. I run the srm 4,srm 2 spl build a lot on it. Most the time I just want to fire and since I'm runing so dam hot with the over heat warning screaming in my ear I say hell with it and ride the override most of the match. If things didn't cost a fortune in cbills unless you want to spend real money on the hero mechs or premimum time I;d have other better mechs to use or at least a mech that is comabt cabable of using its weapons. Chainfire doesn't do jack except slow my rate of fire and you need a 30 or more alpha it seems to do any damage in this game.

True, but I'm talking about intentional suicide in the sense that the Light runs away to the corner of the map and then deliberately overheats by firing into the ground.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

Take a screenshot of them overheating with no enemies around and send it, along with the time/date of the match and their pilot name to Support@MWOmercs.com.

Suiciding at the end of a match without intention to fight is a violation of the game's Code of Conduct. Players like that are garbage, so at least you can get their accounts notated (in the least).

Edit - when I say "garbage" I don't mean "garbage players," I mean "go play in traffic and we'll be better off without you" garbage.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 13 March 2015 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

True, good idea.

#11 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 08:16 PM

only leg humping I see is on our own assaults, they gather like parasites. And i am pretty sure they have removed the R key from their keyboards.

#12 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

Its to protect their k/d for some ungodly reason. When i am in my light i am both hunter and protector. I harass, kill and rtb in order to give ecm.

#13 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:04 AM

Well to be fair, I have seen players run out of bounds as a courtesy. Long map, its 11-2 and they are way off on the edge, so certain death is faster by heading out of bounds.

#14 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 March 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Take a screenshot of them overheating with no enemies around and send it, along with the time/date of the match and their pilot name to Support@MWOmercs.com.

Suiciding at the end of a match without intention to fight is a violation of the game's Code of Conduct. Players like that are garbage, so at least you can get their accounts notated (in the least).

Edit - when I say "garbage" I don't mean "garbage players," I mean "go play in traffic and we'll be better off without you" garbage.

Amusingly, I've watch devs overheat suicide on purpose. I believe it was Alex playing with Sean Lang on the NGNG Twitch stream. He was about to die, so he just blew himself up. Funny stuff.

Support isn't going to punish anyone as long as they aren't hiding or sitting the whole match out. If the player participated in the match, they will not be punished.

View PostEider, on 13 March 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Its to protect their k/d for some ungodly reason. When i am in my light i am both hunter and protector. I harass, kill and rtb in order to give ecm.

It's still a death, so it counts against KDR.

The only reason people suicide beside ending the round quickly, is to deny a kill.

Edited by Greenjulius, 14 March 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:27 AM

The only thing I have noticed is if you hit over heat override you blow up on your 2nd overheat

So you now have to hit override twice

Once to turn it on once to turn it off

In the heat of battle (for lack of a better term) you often don't hit the key hard enough or you hit it for two short of time
Next thing you know you just blow up

I went out to Tera Therma to do some test and it took over 20 times of hitting over heat override (as long as you remember to turn it off) before my Mech blew up

Forget to turn it off and 2nd overheat kaboom!

Maybe they should rename the override button to the suicide button

#16 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

Really? I've seen really ballsy lights-- like a commando with one medium laser fight against a DWF

#17 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostBurktross, on 14 March 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Really? I've seen really ballsy lights-- like a commando with one medium laser fight against a DWF

Us real light pilots tend to go out fighting - it comes with the mindset needed to become a successful light pilot in the first place. You need to be aggressive, and if you play aggressively you don't run to the corner and overheat suicide - you go in swinging and try to take at least one of the f....s with you when you go.

Now of course anyone can drop in a light - even assault bus drivers. They're probably more prone to overheat suicide since they don't know what to do with a proper 'mech in the first place! ;)

(Disclaimer: Parts of this post are meant to be taken as an attempt at tongue-in-cheek humour. Results may vary. If rage is induced, see your physician. Void where prohibited)

#18 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 14 March 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

The only thing I have noticed is if you hit over heat override you blow up on your 2nd overheat

So you now have to hit override twice

Once to turn it on once to turn it off

In the heat of battle (for lack of a better term) you often don't hit the key hard enough or you hit it for two short of time
Next thing you know you just blow up

I went out to Tera Therma to do some test and it took over 20 times of hitting over heat override (as long as you remember to turn it off) before my Mech blew up

Forget to turn it off and 2nd overheat kaboom!

Maybe they should rename the override button to the suicide button

You were blowing up on your second over heat every time because you were overheating yourself enough to damage your CT enough to blow up.

I override and overheat many many times in a match, I'm just careful not to push my heat over 105ish percent mark too often.

#19 WatDo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killin' your d00ds

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

The leg humping is from all the people playing in their new Huginns, Embers, Deaths knells etc from the event and not being a good light pilot.

To the overheating thing, i've said it before and i'll say it again: it's a non-issue, get over it. It ends the match so you can reque, which is better than someone hiding for 10 minutes to protect their k/dr. And if he couldn't have won, what's the problem? He obviously didn't want the enemies to get an undeserved kill. I overheat (in battle, and when i know i won't win) when i'm the last one just so some dude in a pack of 5 enemies doesn't get a free undeserved kill, because where's the skill in a 5v1 fight?

#20 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 13 March 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

It's effective for the Panther, not so much for whoever those legs belong to. It's a better idea to peek from behind things that aren't on your team.

Panther peeks from behind Mobile Cover.
Panther fires at Enemy Team.
Enemy Team sees Panther and turns to fire.
Panther retreats behind Mobile Cover.
Enemy Team fires at Mobile Cover.
Mobile Cover dies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users