BattleMechs

14 replies to this topic

#1 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:05 AM

Does anyone have any information about PGI intentions that would allow or deny additional future omnimech variants with jump jets?
Specifically for the Warhawk, similar to the latest DWF-S.

I'm perfectly fine with the current JJ system. I don't want flying mechs, I just want the usual off-road maneuverability.
Mechs without even 1 jumpjet feel so ... grounded and clumsy.

I really love the WHK for ... uhm ... 20 years now and I hate not being able to overcome those pesky weeds in Viridian Bog or lower cliffs like on Canyon Network or River City like I can with the TBR or the even heavier DWF.

Also I never understood why for example a TBR is allowed to circumvent half the obstacles on a map with a piffling 1-slot-item but a Gargoyle is not.
Logically, either every mech should have the option to at least have a very limited jumping capability or no mech should have one at all.

Logic is not always Battletech's strong side, but even lore-wise, every Omnimech should be able to equip JJs, although I doubt we'll get that much freedom. So just a variant (like WHK-S or whatever) would be enough for me, I'd pay good money for it ;P.

Thanks for helpful answers :)

Edited by Paigan, 14 March 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#2 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

There was a Dire Wolf with Jump Jets, the S variant. There is not a War Hawk with jump jets variant. So it is highly unlikely there will be a War Hawk with jump jets in MWO.

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

We'll talk after they make jump jets fun

#4 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

Your suggestion reminds me of this:

Jump to 4:40 for the Masakari action!

BTW it's also one of my favourite Assault mech.

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

First a DWF with JJ, then a Warhawk with JJ, then they take a page out of Mechcommander 2 and give an Atlas with JJ =D.....

View PostHit the Deck, on 14 March 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

That missions I used to loathe, its not so bad now. I ussed to take the train tracks up to the WHK, but now I go through the city, using the air strikes to take out the forest, and just run around like a headless chicken, can usually beat the convoy of Pegasus and stuff to the WHK.

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 14 March 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#6 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:20 AM

View PostPaigan, on 14 March 2015 - 05:05 AM, said:

Does anyone have any information about PGI intentions that would allow or deny additional future omnimech variants with jump jets?
Specifically for the Warhawk, similar to the latest DWF-S.

I'm perfectly fine with the current JJ system. I don't want flying mechs, I just want the usual off-road maneuverability.
Mechs without even 1 jumpjet feel so ... grounded and clumsy.

I really love the WHK for ... uhm ... 20 years now and I hate not being able to overcome those pesky weeds in Viridian Bog or lower cliffs like on Canyon Network or River City like I can with the TBR or the even heavier DWF.

Also I never understood why for example a TBR is allowed to circumvent half the obstacles on a map with a piffling 1-slot-item but a Gargoyle is not.
Logically, either every mech should have the option to at least have a very limited jumping capability or no mech should have one at all.

Logic is not always Battletech's strong side, but even lore-wise, every Omnimech should be able to equip JJs, although I doubt we'll get that much freedom. So just a variant (like WHK-S or whatever) would be enough for me, I'd pay good money for it ;P.

Thanks for helpful answers :)

There is no official "common" configuration of the Warhawk Masakari that is equipped with Jump Jets.

However, the configuration used by famed MechWarrior Diana Pryde in the novel Falcon Guard was jump-capable.

So, your best bet for a jump-capable Masakari lies in a potential Hero 'Mech... -_-

#7 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Yes! I played it too. I even thought about referencing it in the initial post, but decided to not make the post any longer.

View PostStrum Wealh, on 14 March 2015 - 07:20 AM, said:

There is no official "common" configuration of the Warhawk Masakari that is equipped with Jump Jets.

However, the configuration used by famed MechWarrior Diana Pryde in the novel Falcon Guard was jump-capable.

So, your best bet for a jump-capable Masakari lies in a potential Hero 'Mech... -_-

Thanks for the additional lore-argument.
But you do realize that the actual name is Warhawk and Masakari is just the IS codename born out of IS' lack of knowledge (as so often)?
Write it italic all you want. The name is Warhawk. :-P
Calling it Masakari is like if I called you "Joe" instead of your actual nickname because I'm too ignorant to read it.

edit:
Given the right angle, the 4xPPC arms remotely remind of bird wings, hence the name:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and (searched my A** off to find it):
Note that i linked 2h 45min 45s for the wireframe target display, but youtube completely messes up the time seeking

Edited by Paigan, 14 March 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#8 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:50 AM

Kinda wish PGI would make the WHKs arms bigger, legs fatter and upper torso a bit thinner like in MW2. Maybe not quite that crazy, but little bit more so then they have it now.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:37 AM

I'm not sure adding more powercreep is helpful here.

However, the Warhawk suffers from "magnetic Dire Wolf misidentification syndrome" with "crazily large side torsos".

JJs won't save this mech honestly.

#10 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 March 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

However, the Warhawk suffers from "magnetic Dire Wolf misidentification syndrome" with "crazily large side torsos".

What would help it is narrowing its torsos, shortening it's arms and increasing barrel length. That way, its overall size is proper and smaller, harder to single out, if only a little. From the side, its arms will slightly shield the ST and the slightly higher position of the arms will allow it to hill hump a little better.

#11 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 14 March 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

What would help it is narrowing its torsos, shortening it's arms and increasing barrel length. That way, its overall size is proper and smaller, harder to single out, if only a little. From the side, its arms will slightly shield the ST and the slightly higher position of the arms will allow it to hill hump a little better.

While narrowing the torsos sounds good, increasing the arm size would make it a really enlarged version of the Mist Lynx. You're just lucky the arms aren't being shot off in general. That's the only solace that exists.

#12 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 March 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

That is completely beside the point.
Even it it was the worst or best mech ever to be in the game, it would still be reasonable to add a jump-capable variant because TBR and DWF have on as well and all Omnimechs are basically capable of equipping them.

Some people consider JJs to be a waste of weight, some (like me) consider at least 1 or 2 to be essential for having a balanced and fair off-road viability. So JJs in themselves are "balanced".

Edited by Paigan, 14 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#13 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 14 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'm actually doing a playthrough of that right now. Every mech in that game has a jump jet config available, it's ridiculous.

#14 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 March 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

While narrowing the torsos sounds good, increasing the arm size would make it a really enlarged version of the Mist Lynx. You're just lucky the arms aren't being shot off in general. That's the only solace that exists.

Lol, blowing off the ST results in the exact same thing....and when people generally aim center mass, its the torsos being shot off. If the arms were stubbier, but the barrels longer, it would only matter from a side on view. Otherwise the entire mech would actually be a smaller overall target front on.

#15 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 14 March 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Lol, blowing off the ST results in the exact same thing....and when people generally aim center mass, its the torsos being shot off. If the arms were stubbier, but the barrels longer, it would only matter from a side on view. Otherwise the entire mech would actually be a smaller overall target front on.

I know staying on topic is hard in a forum, but still it would be nice to not mix every remotely connected thought into a thread just because it's about the same mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users