#41 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 14 March 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

I've updated my mech size thread, it appears tall mechs are made "huge" for collision purposes. Feel free to challenge Russ on twitter about it.

So the saviour of Mr Gargles will be RAMMING SPEED (I assume it would either deal more damage in a collision, since knockdowns aren't likely to return)

#42 TheCobra

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 14 March 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

So the saviour of Mr Gargles will be RAMMING SPEED (I assume it would either deal more damage in a collision, since knockdowns aren't likely to return)

Yeah, ramming to tickle the legs of other mechs while commiting suicide....yeah, no.

#43 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 14 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

Gargoyle is the Mech that earned me Ace of Spades.

I run it with 2 erPPCs (or switch to 2 LPL) and 4 SPL. Snipe until it becomes a brawl and then use the SPL for precision cuts. Never stop moving, it's almost like running a light.

#44 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:24 PM

The thing with the Gargoyle Prime is that its stock configuration is optimized for anti-vehicle use. On tabletop, LBX-AC/5 cluster rounds in addition to 12 SRMs could easily cripple vehicles (including fighter aircraft and helicopters), even more so when there's inferno ammunition equipped for the SRMs. This was probably the most common Gargoyle configuration because it was excellent at slaying conventional vehicle forces that the Clans mostly fought as they invaded the Inner Sphere.

Contrary to the focus of MWO, vehicle and infantry forces are far more plentiful than battlemechs in both the Inner Sphere and the Clans because they are a lot less expensive/resource intensive to produce than any battlemech.

With that being said, I think the stock Gargoyle A configuration is the chassis' representative anti-battlemech build. It's hard to argue with twin headcappers and a large pulse laser to nail fast 'mechs with, in addition to having enough base heatsinks to handle the armament with trigger discipline. The Gargoyle A would've been a much better choice for a trial 'mech.

Edited by TELEFORCE, 14 March 2015 - 07:26 PM.

#45 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 14 March 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

The 4 CERMLAS + Gauss is solid at mid-range, that's what I was playing in the match in my sig.

This is a loadout suitable for a 65 ton mech, like a hellbringer.

#46 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

LIES!!

#47 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 14 March 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

You put up a similar build from what is the SECOND BEST heavy mech in the entire game.

Welcome to the magic of Omni-pods, we already knew this at the onset of this thread.

The OP is asking for help with his Gargoyle.

You can contribute and try to help, or you can be obtuse and post hellbringer builds we all knew were available.

IMO it's obtuse trying to help OP problems as if garg problems were were about builds. But it isn't so.
Only skill pilot can make garg seems less sub-par.

That is: if OP wants to improve its k/d ratio with the garg, it's only a matter of his own skills.
You did say:"It's not un-playable, it's harder to play.".
So, op needs tips about piloting.

#48 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 14 March 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

IMO it's obtuse trying to help OP problems as if garg problems were were about builds. But it isn't so.

That is: if OP wants to improve its k/d ratio with the garg, it's only a matter of his own skills.

Building mechs is one of the more important skills in this game, and you can't really even play well until you are playing good builds.

Feel free to continue to be stubborn and telling the OP to just play something else, when they already own a Gargoyle and are asking for help playing it.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 14 March 2015 - 10:29 PM.

#49 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 14 March 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

This is a loadout suitable for a 65 ton mech, like a hellbringer.

Gargoyle runs with it's Clan-XL400 engine faster then 95% of IS heavies and is as fast as a common IS 55 ton medium. If you want a slow moving weapon platform with hell of firepower take the Direwolf.

The Gargoyle is very fast and quite agile. Though I never played one beside the stock, I would think playing it like a medium with laser vomit would make a good skirmisher.

Edited by xe N on, 14 March 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#50 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

View Postxe N on, on 14 March 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Gargoyle runs with it's Clan-XL400 engine faster then 95% of IS heavies and is as fast as a common IS 55 ton medium. If you want a slow moving weapon platform with hell of firepower take the Direwolf.

The Gargoyle is very fast and quite agile. Though I never played one beside the stock, I would think playing it like a medium with laser vomit would make a good skirmisher.

Exactly.

While it has low firepower for a clan mech, 20T with clan tech is overall still decent.

More importantly it has ample hardpoints to fill with super weight efficienct clan lasers.

The mech has issues, it's clearly sub-optimal in several areas - it will be getting quirks on the 17th.

On the other-hand, it is still an 80 ton mech, moves 89kph and can have a fully asymmetrical build and it's decently resilient as it can rely on CXL to see it through situations that would have removed an IS mech with IS XL.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 14 March 2015 - 10:59 PM.

#51 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:01 PM

you just need to understand that the Gargoyle is a beautiful mech!
you are just using it wrong!

#52 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

View PostTheCobra, on 14 March 2015 - 09:38 AM, said:

The Gargoyle mech is currently unplayable, not fun and a liability to the team. This mech takes a spot that a vastly more useful mech could take, it has 2 omnipods with weapon slots, both of wich are the large, low and fragile arms. Can't shoot if I'm close to friendlies because I just end up shooting their backs, since the cockpit is so far from the weapon slots .

Not enough weight for weapons or ammo, fast but not fast enough, this is a skyscrapper of a mech that gets hit easily, it is hard to find cover, since the head is always sticking out.
The speed doesn't matter when everyone and their mother knows you are an easy kill. Just shoot the arms off and it is harmless.

PGI Please fix this mech. 120 bucks on the wave II and every mech is great with exception of the Gargoyle, wich is a complete liability to the team.

Just think of it as an up armored Nova (same speed) that is hindered by gravity and pebbles. Stack those cERSL and wreck some face (and then die promptly there after...who wants to live forever anyways).

#53 TheCobra

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

View PostBrody319, on 14 March 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

you just need to understand that the Gargoyle is a beautiful mech!
you are just using it wrong!

It is people like you that ruin games, stop trolling here please. If you have something to say elaborate on it, just going "ROFL L2P NOOB" doesn't work.

I still stand by my point that is a bad ASSAULT mech. It is a good mech overall, but my main gripe is removing a much more useful assault from your team due to the sillines of 3/3/3/3 (Just stupid if you ask me, makes the game insanelly meta, since every weight class has a "king"). Now the ******* USELESS quirks on the Gargoyle.

Another problem is that when people see a Gargoyle they see easy kill. People just dive and kill with ease, since by shielding your are removing all your hardpoints, if you face them they easily rip through your poorly armored CT.

It is fast, yes. But it is not faster than a light or a medium, that can chew you up in no time. You can go on the front because you die so easily and you can't go on the back or you will shoot the backs of friendlies due to the ******** hardpoint placement of this mech.

I'm not a battletech guy or could care less about lore. This is a first person game and should be balanced as such, putting the arms on good spots or giving side-torso harpoints for variety. Anyone that fights a Gargoyle and has half a brain will remove its arms quickly.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 14 March 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

I know how to pilot, the problem is that you are facing mechs with the same firepower that are 1 or 2 weight classes below, with smaler hitboxes, faster, with better movement and ECM. A Hellbringer is a straight up upgrade on the GAR, since it can carry ECM, is smaller and can fit weapons on the side torsos. And you also face DireWolves and Crabs that perform vastly better on the Assault slot.

And now the ******* stupidest quirks on the planet are on it. WHO THE **** USES MISSILES ON A GARGOYLE?

And the one variant that has energy quirks it is so little that doesn't make a difference. Even the NGNG guys taht are super IS biased agree that this is a garbage mech.

#54 Tasker

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Let me get straight:

One clan mech is garbage mech, huge outcry all time?

Half of IS mechs are trash, maybe we start letter writing campaign for Trebuchet and Awesome? Ha ha.

#55 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostTasker, on 17 March 2015 - 08:07 AM, said:

Let me get straight:

One clan mech is garbage mech, huge outcry all time?

Half of IS mechs are trash, maybe we start letter writing campaign for Trebuchet and Awesome? Ha ha.

One?

Mist Lynx, Cute Fox, Badder, Ice Fridge, Nova, Summoner, Mr Gargles, PeaceDove.

That's 8 of Thirteen chassis'. That is over 50%.

There are 4 good robots. Then there is one with an unmatched niche.

CLAMS OP BLANKET NERF THEM ALL!!1!

Edited by Mcgral18, 17 March 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#56 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostTheCobra, on 17 March 2015 - 07:54 AM, said:

It is people like you that ruin games, stop trolling here please. If you have something to say elaborate on it, just going "ROFL L2P NOOB" doesn't work.

I still stand by my point that is a bad ASSAULT mech. It is a good mech overall, but my main gripe is removing a much more useful assault from your team due to the sillines of 3/3/3/3 (Just stupid if you ask me, makes the game insanelly meta, since every weight class has a "king"). Now the ******* USELESS quirks on the Gargoyle.

Another problem is that when people see a Gargoyle they see easy kill. People just dive and kill with ease, since by shielding your are removing all your hardpoints, if you face them they easily rip through your poorly armored CT.

It is fast, yes. But it is not faster than a light or a medium, that can chew you up in no time. You can go on the front because you die so easily and you can't go on the back or you will shoot the backs of friendlies due to the ******** hardpoint placement of this mech.

I'm not a battletech guy or could care less about lore. This is a first person game and should be balanced as such, putting the arms on good spots or giving side-torso harpoints for variety. Anyone that fights a Gargoyle and has half a brain will remove its arms quickly.

I know how to pilot, the problem is that you are facing mechs with the same firepower that are 1 or 2 weight classes below, with smaler hitboxes, faster, with better movement and ECM. A Hellbringer is a straight up upgrade on the GAR, since it can carry ECM, is smaller and can fit weapons on the side torsos. And you also face DireWolves and Crabs that perform vastly better on the Assault slot.

And now the ******* stupidest quirks on the planet are on it. WHO THE **** USES MISSILES ON A GARGOYLE?

And the one variant that has energy quirks it is so little that doesn't make a difference. Even the NGNG guys taht are super IS biased agree that this is a garbage mech.

I listed builds and I'm perfectly willing to help you play the Gargoyle. That was not my first post and I was posting it in the context of other comments not your OP

#57 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

I'm going with this is pilot error.

I've been able to achieve great scores with the Gargoyle.

It's not a bad mech by far, you just got to understand how to pilot it.

Posted Image

#58 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostZeus X, on 17 March 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

I'm going with this is pilot error.

I've been able to achieve great scores with the Gargoyle.

It's not a bad mech by far, you just got to understand how to pilot it.

Posted Image

That's a very mediocre score with a mediocre robot.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 17 March 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

That's a very mediocre score with a mediocre robot.

was also for all intents and purposes an 8 man vs scrubs. It's a decent score, but not great. My HBK does that pretty much every other match. And I AM pretty mediocre.

#60 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 14 March 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

It's not un-playable, it's harder to play.

Focus on mid-range and brawl builds, conserve armor until things get to that range.

I finnd having a shield side is hugely beneficial.

It is huge and can't turn => not goor at conserving armor.
It is a Clan Mech, it has almost all its weapons in arms => you have no shield side, you only have that one half of the Mech you like less than the other one.

EDIT: ZeusX, your match score is 87. 87 FFS! That is so low every Mech is capable of reaching that. You didn't even break 600 damage which is also something every Mech is capable. I fear that what you posted is unintended trolling but you are only trolling yourself, unknowingly. If by score 87 you mean you learned to pilot it I fear you have some unplesant surprises ahead of you.

Edited by Mordin Ashe, 17 March 2015 - 08:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users