Allow Arm Omnipod Sharing Between Certain Clan Mechs?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:16 AM

Before I begin, let me just say I have not thought through what would make this good or bad.

To start proper, take a look at the arm on the Man O War (Gargoyle), the autocannon arm on Thor (Summoner) and the Gauss arm on the Gladiator (Executioner). Looks similar, no? That's right, certain clan mechs share limb design, inclusive of legs.

What if arm omnipods can be shared between certain chassis?

E.G.

Daishi (Dire wolf) and Masakari (Warhawk) can share arms.

#2 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 03:18 AM

if I recall correctly the clans made their omnis using uniformed parts as they can be mass produced quickly and the omni pod could fit on any mech..

look in the old books such as the republished Jade Phoenix Trilogy book at the very back of the book it shows the Omnis.

Gargoyle & Executioner share legs & Arms.

Adder & Kit Fox shares limbs as well.

and those are just four of them.

so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Edited by VinJade, 15 March 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#3 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

i dont see how a 100 ton mech arm should fit on an 85 ton mech. where did the armor go? isn't the structure now oversize? or did it also magically lose hitpoints? how is the shoulder actuator able to support the arms now? the same goes for legs.

it just doesn't make any sense. not even from a production standpoint, your smaller mech parts cant magically support larger parts. and putting smaller parts on your big mech just reduces its functionality as well.

On the game side of things, suddenly you'd have mechs like the adder with jumpjets and ECM thanks to Kitfox parts. no one would ever take a kitfox as the only upsides it had would be removed. the warhawk arms would become dire arms all the time as they have more hardpoints.

Just not a good idea.

#4 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:04 PM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 15 March 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

i dont see how a 100 ton mech arm should fit on an 85 ton mech. where did the armor go? isn't the structure now oversize? or did it also magically lose hitpoints? how is the shoulder actuator able to support the arms now? the same goes for legs.

it just doesn't make any sense. not even from a production standpoint, your smaller mech parts cant magically support larger parts. and putting smaller parts on your big mech just reduces its functionality as well.

No argument here, but I based it from whatever VinJade described.

On the game side of things, suddenly you'd have mechs like the adder with jumpjets and ECM thanks to Kitfox parts. no one would ever take a kitfox as the only upsides it had would be removed. the warhawk arms would become dire arms all the time as they have more hardpoints.

Just not a good idea.

Arms can't equip jump jets. I dont think the ECM is arm-mounted either.

#5 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostMatthew Ace, on 15 March 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

No argument here, but I based it from whatever VinJade described.

Arms can't equip jump jets. I dont think the ECM is arm-mounted either.

Legs can, and vin specifically talked about Legs and Arms.

The Kitfox mounts its ECM in the arm as well.

#6 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

To make this work, you'd have to make the internal structure and max armor of shared components equal, I'd say. The ADR/KFX, NVA/SCR, MDD/TBR, HBR/SMN, and WHK/DWF would all have the same leg strength. Similarly, The HBR, SMN, and TBR would have the same arms (or right arm in the case of the SMNs).

Actually, this would run into issues with several mechs, like the TBR which has FF armor slots in its arms (HBR does not) and the SCR with its structure slots in the legs (JJs in Nova).

#7 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

I was talking about the pods themselves as I assume that the pods are mounted at the end of the arms.
the legs I said was mass produced and shared the same design which means the actuators should be usable,
however omni pods should be able to be placed on any mech.

to know for sure if I am right or wrong one would need to ask the writers over on the main forums.

#8 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:41 AM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 15 March 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

Legs can, and vin specifically talked about Legs and Arms.

The Kitfox mounts its ECM in the arm as well.

Fair enough, though the legs are currently irrelevant to the suggestion other than some fluff/info sharing.

Might edit this to add stuff as I read the newer replies. :)

Edit 1: I'd say one of the key challenge here is actually the FF/Endo/fixed equipment as been highlighted by Kaeb. Thanks. :)

Edited by Matthew Ace, 16 March 2015 - 02:17 AM.

#9 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 02:18 AM

Cool in concept...hard to imagine how it'd actually work.

#10 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostVinJade, on 16 March 2015 - 01:03 AM, said:

I was talking about the pods themselves as I assume that the pods are mounted at the end of the arms.
the legs I said was mass produced and shared the same design which means the actuators should be usable,
however omni pods should be able to be placed on any mech.

to know for sure if I am right or wrong one would need to ask the writers over on the main forums.

different assumptions in how the pods work, i suppose. i always assumed the pod was the better part of an area, not just say the lower arm. but hey, small detail.

i think Kaeb nailed it right on the head. the mechs with locked structure slots or equipment make this rather difficult. thats more on PGI's head for implementing that way, but hey.

Cool idea, really. but not good for the game as a whole in my opinion.

#11 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

In the TT there was the idea of "FrankenMechs" which used disparate parts but this was different to Omnipods. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/FrankenMech) but honestly the potential for unexpected OP mechs and balance issues not to mention the massive levels of QA that would require for each and every permutation would make it unworkable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users