• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 April 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

Its biased?
Isn't it exactly what Gyrok suggested at the very beginning of this journey?

Maybe maybe, not, dunno exactly, I am not going into every post.

I read a post and try objectively to see what result it will have, and further If I would be affected by it, what it would mean for me as an IS pilot or as an clanpilot. And then I try to see if this for me will cause something I can "abuse" because it has a too big benefit on one side of the table.

So lets imagine this is 10HP more as some said. On a Atlas, those 10HP is nto much, becaue easy to big ST's and probably someone does anyways an overkill damage of 15, so those 10 will not help in those cases. On the nearly invincible lights that can spread damage like a baws those 10HP do not equal a assaults 10HP. And so by this the entire change even if +10hp for all, is not a fair buff .

If all clanmechs would have the equal engine sizes in use as IS emchs, then yes a clan XL nerf as previoulsy suggested would be fair and fine. But the way clanmechs totally differently benefiit or even be penalised with fixed engine sizes is not what I cna support. Becaue the interclan balance would be more broken after such a change than before. In that case, buffing ISXL's somehhow would be a bit better. Yet such a buff, needs to be a fair and equal buff. But this is hard to find when with an acrossthe board buff, when lights and assaults differ so much.

Finding a good solution means you need to try destroying a solution given with all means. Because a solution able to stand this attemp will be a true solution. Otherwise we do create a lot solution for an issue by moving the issue somewhere else. Which then is not a real solution.

View PostAveren, on 02 April 2015 - 12:59 AM, said:

Btw, something i just noticed: Buffing the IS might be a lot worse than nerfing clans. Power creep is already a realy issue in this game, you can die at an insane speed. Adding LFEs would just exacerbate that issue.

We need to stop changing IS, we need to stop changing clanners.
We need to change MECHS. because mechs in their individuality are the issue.

#702 Averen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 02 April 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

We need to stop changing IS, we need to stop changing clanners.
We need to change MECHS. because mechs in their individuality are the issue.

I agree (proud owner of a nice nova who isn't really that terrible tho). But you'd need to negatively quirk a timba* or scrimba* pretty damn hard into the ground, and i'm not sure if that's a very fun thing to do. Frankly, I like the idea of engine damage actually making a difference. That's more depth, and i think it would be interesting to quirk and modify clans on that basis. I'd even like to get the engine, sensor and cockpit crits back, but that's just me.

It's a bigger issue than just the mechs we have, tho: We'll get new issues with every good new clan mech. Frankly, cat and crow are not the worst we could have, it could get much much worse. What if we get one with the torso of a misery? The arms of a jager? There is a lot more to come. Bringing the engines down now might save us a lot of trouble.

*huehuehue... sorry

#703 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 01 April 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

If you support it its likely wrong.

Oh and by the way Russ said on twitter it was off the table.

Nice logical argument there, forum warrior strong....yeah..

And Russ is now considering that instead of removing some power from the Clan Mechs that instead they should GIVE more power to the IS Mechs.

HURRAH!! MORE POWER CREEP!!! Only it's not creeping anymore is it, it's now an outright power leap, in other words, the standard PGI response to a problem.

Aren't you guys glad you got PGI to totally rethink doing something small that could easily be monitored and changed and instead doing that they've always done, jump totally overboard!

When you Clan players start to realize just how badly you've CharlieFranked yourselves, remember, YOU called for it, not so sure the IS player will be willing to give it up since you demanded it in the first place....

#704 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Hey, when they get overbuffed, maybe the light bulb up stairs will finally come on. At least we will not be gimped ultrahard by a senseless nerf.

#705 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 17 March 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

The LFE was still in the prototype stage in 3058, only went on production on 3062, and IS mechs began to use it around 3065. And PGI is only willing to move the timeline to 3052 any time soon. So no, I do not wish to wait for 2 or more years at least, until LFE is introduced to IS tech, while Clanners get merry with their twice as durable XL engine.

Either PGI breaks canon (causing floodgates of requests for other futuristic item requests), introduces the LFE and obsoletes the regular Std and XL engines before it, or they respect the timeline and make us wait for unbearable amount of time.

http://www.sarna.net..._Engine_-_Light

Standard engines will not be obsoleted... XLs still require more crit space and thus are not practical in some builds/mechs. As for the standard XLs, I'm sure there will be a risk/reward mechanic for taking a superior version of the XL to retain balance.

#706 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostGyrok, on 02 April 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

Hey, when they get overbuffed, maybe the light bulb up stairs will finally come on. At least we will not be gimped ultrahard by a senseless nerf.

No, but with more IS buffs, the less then godly clan mechs become even less appealing and Clans overall become worse. So, really.....its lose-lose...

#707 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

That's just it Gyrok, it's not an ultrahard nerf, it's a small nerf, and when it doesn't have the effect PGI wants, and it wouldn't have, they would have done something else to address the problem they see, but at least we could have pushed to get some good un-nerfs for the majority of the Clan Mechs who REALLY need it, after all, they ALL got this nerf.

Instead, PGI will probably end up buffing the IS even MORE, and still not see the results they are wanting, so they'll find something else to buff on the IS side or nerf on the Clan side.

I get the feeling that PGI isn't even sure what sort of balance they are looking for, most of us actually agree that the balance between the FACTIONS is good, with most Mechs for each being suboptimal to just plain BAD and a few are at the top tier. Clan majority needs buffs, IS majority needs buffs, top tier on both sides need to nerfed. PGI just can't seem to figure out how to go about fixing the problem children and keeps trying to fix the non-existent parents...oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what Russ pulls out of his ass next.

Personally, I'm against making IS XL's comparable to the Clan XL's, unless they go with an actual working crit system for the engines, THAT I'm all for. Otherwise, leave that alone, the IS doesn't need an across the board buff, we've got enough buffs already, need to crank those down a bit, IS Mechs should NOT be out ranging and out damaging Clan Mechs as we can now, that's just silly.

#708 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 02 April 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

That's just it Gyrok, it's not an ultrahard nerf, it's a small nerf, and when it doesn't have the effect PGI wants, and it wouldn't have, they would have done something else to address the problem they see, but at least we could have pushed to get some good un-nerfs for the majority of the Clan Mechs who REALLY need it, after all, they ALL got this nerf.

Instead, PGI will probably end up buffing the IS even MORE, and still not see the results they are wanting, so they'll find something else to buff on the IS side or nerf on the Clan side.

I get the feeling that PGI isn't even sure what sort of balance they are looking for, most of us actually agree that the balance between the FACTIONS is good, with most Mechs for each being suboptimal to just plain BAD and a few are at the top tier. Clan majority needs buffs, IS majority needs buffs, top tier on both sides need to nerfed. PGI just can't seem to figure out how to go about fixing the problem children and keeps trying to fix the non-existent parents...oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what Russ pulls out of his ass next.

Personally, I'm against making IS XL's comparable to the Clan XL's, unless they go with an actual working crit system for the engines, THAT I'm all for. Otherwise, leave that alone, the IS doesn't need an across the board buff, we've got enough buffs already, need to crank those down a bit, IS Mechs should NOT be out ranging and out damaging Clan Mechs as we can now, that's just silly.

No, I have been here for 2 years...this is how it would have gone:

Q: 20% heat on ST loss fix it?

A: No, add 20% speed loss on ST loss.

Q: That fix it?

A: No, add they become immobile on ST loss.

A: No, make them start legged.

Q: If that does not fix it, can we look at something else to change?

A: No, make them start legged without a ST.

#709 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 02 April 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

So you want to tell me the stock adder or KFX clan Xl is superior to the max ratng of a FS9 or Commando? really?
If so, her take my stock engine adder size engine and give me your IS XL 295? you really think in this comparison, the clan XL is a positive exception? It's not, its very situational because the clan XL is also bound to its stock size. if you want true engine balance, you would have to open clanners the ability to also go STD or engine size swapping. Anything else is just a biased lie.

I'm not against the possibility of clan standard engines if clan XL engines have an actual drawback that make people think twice about using them, as well as limited engine size options like being able to subtract or add 25 to the stock engine rating.

View PostGyrok, on 02 April 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

No, I have been here for 2 years...this is how it would have gone:

Q: 20% heat on ST loss fix it?

A: No, add 20% speed loss on ST loss.

A: No, add they become immobile on ST loss.

A: No, make them start legged.

Q: If that does not fix it, can we look at something else to change?

A: No, make them start legged without a ST.

If you don't already know that slippery slope arguments are stupid then you just need to look at the point where yours becomes a chasm with the ridiculously hyperbolic suggestion about rendering a mech immobile.

#710 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

View PostPjwned, on 02 April 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

I'm not against the possibility of clan standard engines if clan XL engines have an actual drawback that make people think twice about using them, as well as limited engine size options like being able to subtract or add 25 to the stock engine rating.

If you don't already know that slippery slope arguments are stupid then you just need to look at the point where yours becomes a chasm with the ridiculously hyperbolic suggestion about rendering a mech immobile.

Give Inner sphere the Omni XL and clan heat sinks and they can have the IS standard engine and be able to change engines around. Oh and fair is fair InnerSphere get to change hard points like that Omni mechs can. Done deal.

Dont expect that engines being unlocked for Omni mechs wont go hand in hand with hard points being unlocked for the inner sphere mechs.

Im sure no Clan pilot would be daft enough to expect to have both hard points unlocked and engines unlocked while innersphere only have engines unlocked. That wouldnt be fair and everyone knows clan pilots like a fair fight. :lol:

Edited by Johnny Z, 02 April 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#711 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 02 April 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

Give Inner sphere the Omni XL and clan heat sinks and they can have the IS standard engine and be able to change engines around. Oh and fair is fair InnerSphere get to change hard points like that Omni mechs can. Done deal.

Dont expect that engines being unlocked for Omni mechs wont go hand in hand with hard points being unlocked for the inner sphere mechs.

Im sure no Clan pilot would be daft enough to expect to have both hard points unlocked and engines unlocked while innersphere only have engines unlocked. That wouldnt be fair and everyone knows clan pilots like a fair fight. :lol:

Given that omnimech construction rules are generally a big pain in the ass (which results in some clan mechs being worse than they should be) and that clan XL engines may be receiving a (justified) penalty that actually does something, I don't see it as unreasonable to allow them a choice of heavier standard engines to take up less space and a small degree of customization on engine sizes, such as being able to put a XL350 or XL400 (nothing in between) in a Timber Wolf if somebody so chose, or at least something alone those lines; perhaps this concession would only allow engine size to go up and not down in order to avoid something like a XL350 Timber Wolf powerhouse but still help clan lights while also avoiding the problem of locked engine heatsinks being removed.

Whatever ends up happening though, I'm not advocating fully unlocked engines for clans because that would be dumb, but perhaps they should have more options than they do now because there's no denying they are a bit limited.

#712 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostPjwned, on 02 April 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Given that omnimech construction rules are generally a big pain in the ass (which results in some clan mechs being worse than they should be) and that clan XL engines may be receiving a (justified) penalty that actually does something, I don't see it as unreasonable to allow them a choice of heavier standard engines to take up less space and a small degree of customization on engine sizes, such as being able to put a XL350 or XL400 (nothing in between) in a Timber Wolf if somebody so chose, or at least something alone those lines; perhaps this concession would only allow engine size to go up and not down in order to avoid something like a XL350 Timber Wolf powerhouse but still help clan lights while also avoiding the problem of locked engine heatsinks being removed.

Whatever ends up happening though, I'm not advocating fully unlocked engines for clans because that would be dumb, but perhaps they should have more options than they do now because there's no denying they are a bit limited.

BUt the whole hard wired thing is derpy, what would prevent someone from simply making a hard wired XL320? Or making a 1B 1E Arm for each side of a Warhawk? Its not like the combination couldnt be made..

#713 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 02 April 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

BUt the whole hard wired thing is derpy, what would prevent someone from simply making a hard wired XL320? Or making a 1B 1E Arm for each side of a Warhawk? Its not like the combination couldnt be made..

It wouldn't exactly be "hard wired" if you could just say "oh yeah I don't like this part and this part and this and this and this and this so just change everything."

#714 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostPjwned, on 02 April 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

It wouldn't exactly be "hard wired" if you could just say "oh yeah I don't like this part and this part and this and this and this and this so just change everything."

I dont mean unhardwire it, I mean create an entirely new omnipod with a different set of hardpoints hardwired in....

Was it to streamline production? I mean, the entire point of omnis is for fast repairs and maintence in the field but still...Idk what would stop a mech company from creating a XL 320 WHK-P Omnipod....then slap the other parts of the mech on it and call it a day.

#715 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 02 April 2015 - 05:09 PM, said:

I dont mean unhardwire it, I mean create an entirely new omnipod with a different set of hardpoints hardwired in....

Was it to streamline production? I mean, the entire point of omnis is for fast repairs and maintence in the field but still...Idk what would stop a mech company from creating a XL 320 WHK-P Omnipod....then slap the other parts of the mech on it and call it a day.

As far as I understand those sorts of limitations are set by the Prime variant of each omnimech, and if you don't like certain fixed parts of the Prime mech then it's kind of tough ****. PGI seems to stick by this rule and I don't really disagree with it for the most part, though as I was saying I could see some small concessions being made in order to give clan mechs a little more build freedom.

Edited by Pjwned, 02 April 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#716 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostPjwned, on 02 April 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

What even makes any of you think the clan XL is an issue? What hard evidence do you have that it is required to do anything to Clan XLs to achieve balance?

The evidence I have seen convinces me that IS and Clans are mostly balanced at this point, and that is with the Clans running as much cheese as they can, with huge, skilled, merc units fighting for them (228 and MS) for the whole event.

Please explain to me where a 20% nerf of any kind is warranted with a 53% win ratio (and no elo data to back what should have been the win %)?

Edited by Gyrok, 02 April 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#717 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostGyrok, on 02 April 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

What even makes any of you think the clan XL is an issue? What hard evidence do you have that it is required to do anything to Clan XLs to achieve balance?

The evidence I have seen convinces me that IS and Clans are mostly balanced at this point, and that is with the Clans running as much cheese as they can, with huge, skilled, merc units fighting for them (228 and MS) for the whole event.

Please explain to me where a 20% nerf of any kind is warranted with a 53% win ratio (and no elo data to back what should have been the win %)?

Giant wall of text incoming.

A nerf is warranted because a 20% heat penalty does jack **** and that's complete nonsense considering the condition is that you lose 20% of your XL engine, especially when the penalty for blowing out a side torso on mech with an IS XL engine means mech destruction. All you really need to do is compare the 2 pieces of equipment, that is clan XLs and IS XLs, and look at the huge disparity between the 2 when you blow off a chunk of the engine and think "wow, that is pretty unbalanced," though there's a bigger picture to analyze if you need to and that's what I'll be at least attempting to do.

Here is where somebody is going to say "you can't compare the 2 in a vacuum," but really what I'm doing is declaring that the various pros & cons of clan technology over IS technology are for the most part balanced (or at least in principle if not in practice e.g clan ACs literally lacking features and possibly some lasers that are too hot, maybe other things) except in the case of clan XL engines.

The pros I'm looking at are:
-Vastly superior mech upgrades i.e FF, ES, and DHS all being objectively better, which also gives clans more crit space despite having such upgrades on top of numerous weapons taking up less space as well
-Lower weight missiles and in the case of (S)SRMs with no drawback as well as no minimum range on LRMs
-Lasers that all have gratuitous range and more damage that are only comparable to lasers on IS mechs with insane quirks as well as large lasers weighing less and taking less space
-Lower weight & crit slots for gauss rifles and ER PPCs with no drawback
-Switchable hardpoints due to omnimechs
-Free super CASE installed on every component
-Lower tonnage & crit slots and higher range on ACs
-Misc. items like better NARCs, options for targeting computers that aren't ****, lower weight ECM and BAP, etc.
-Might be forgetting some things but probably nothing really noteworthy

Of course, there are numerous cons for all these advantages such as:
-Locked upgrades, including locked slots for said upgrades
-Stream fired LRMs
-Higher heat and burn time on lasers
-Burst fired ACs
-Locked equipment which means locked engines and possibly undesired jumpjets and other equipment as well which is obviously a pretty big deal
-Perhaps other cons I'm forgetting but those are all the major ones I can think of; I realize some of these sound simplified but I'm not pretending that disadvantages like these are small, because they're not.

Before going on about XL engines I will say that I've noted peoples' complaints about geometry and hitboxes on some clan mechs, but I argue that's not really a clans vs. IS issue, the phenomenon is definitely not exclusive to clans, and that PGI should actually work on proper mech scaling for both sides as a result. I'm also not just leaving out IS pros & cons because simply stated they are pretty much the opposite of clans so I don't need to go into huge detail for both sides. Additionally, hardpoint layout is not a clans VS IS issue because that's an issue for each individual mech specifically due to their design, and even though some people might argue that there's more of a "trend" for clan mechs to have it worse, they don't because there's plenty of IS mechs with crap hardpoint layouts too and furthermore IS mechs can't change theirs either like clan mechs can.

I didn't go into clan XL engines yet, so let's examine that a bit. Its advantages are full XL engine weight savings with only 2 slots in each side torso, which means more room for equipment but far more importantly the mech isn't destroyed with a side torso lost. Well, considering some of the cons I covered above, such as locked equipment and locked upgrades, it's pretty reasonable that it gets such favorable weight savings and even that the mech isn't destroyed, so that part of clan XL engines is reasonably balanced.

The problem is that there should still clearly be a penalty for losing 20% of the engine, because after all the penalty in the exact same circumstance (and no others, meaning clans are not unfairly affected by engine crits) for IS XL mechs is mech destruction, so if the penalty for losing 20% of a clan XL isn't mech destruction then surely it must be fairly noticeable (while still being in better shape relatively) for losing only a slightly smaller chunk of the engine...well, it's not.

The penalty is barely anything, 20% less heatsinks when you're already very likely going to be generating less heat from losing weapons (which is due to losing a torso component and is separate from losing a chunk of the engine, meaning the lost torso is not considered as part of the engine penalty) is such a pathetic penalty that it's almost more insulting than no penalty at all. Do you notice such a penalty unless you combine it with a build where you deliberately lose as much as you possibly can if that side is lost? You barely notice such a penalty at all because it's so small, especially compared to what happens to IS mechs, and even then the mech being in bad shape due to a faulty build has much more to do with losing the wrong side of the mech than it does with losing some heatsinks in the engine.

So the penalty for losing 20% of your engine is barely anything...how is that justified? Are you going to say that the disadvantages listed above, such as locked equipment & upgrades, should account for more than I've shown, despite the advantages that I've also shown? If that's the case, what about other advantages that are not otherwise accounted for with any obvious drawback e.g lower weight SRMs & SSRMs and even having bigger SSRM launchers, free CASE in every component, lower weight & space pinpoint weapons, lower weight ECM and BAP and NARC and the NARC has more speed & range, targeting computers that aren't as absolutely terrible as the command console, and possibly more.

I realize these advantages aren't really related to clan XLs much, but neither can they just be ignored in a sound argument, so I think the safe answer is that for the most part all of these advantages as well are balanced by disadvantages like locked equipment and locked upgrades. However, at this point are you going to say that restrictions such as locked equipment & upgrades still do not account for all of these advantages I've listed recently, including the clan XL's advantages other than its low penalty, and say that the paltry penalty of only 20% heatsinks--nothing more--is that good enough because of the disadvantages that clans face? To this, I say no, and as a result I say it's unfair.

If the penalty is not fair because it's not enough then simply increase the penalty so that it is fair, and a 20% speed loss for losing 20% of your engine is a reasonable, sensible way of doing that so that clan mechs (or any other mech that may come along with 10 slot engines) will feel an actual penalty for losing a chunk of their engine as they should.

A clan XL nerf is also, if you ask me, the harbinger for other changes such as toning down IS quirks that have gotten out of hand (beyond just the TDR-9S) and have been out of hand for a while, as well as other things like better quirks (or even other changes) for clan mechs that are still lacking.

Is that the hard evidence you were asking for? Not really, and because it's not I honestly don't expect very good results from this effort. I would like to say though that I am not trying to misrepresent the opposition's arguments here, so if you read over my giant post and you do find an argument that actually does not make sense, then all I ask is you don't throw a fit about it. Despite what I think is an accurate wall of text, which I have tried to put together using in part what I think the opposition would argue, that may end up not being entirely accurate and I just don't want to see people discarding the whole thing because "hurr durr this part is wrong so everything is wrong."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users