20 replies to this topic

#1 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hi

After reading all those "balance IS and Clans" threads and some independent thoughts of my own, how about the following idea:

Give Clan mechs no consumables at all.
Give IS mechs more consumables (like 3-5 or something, maybe even with more than one artillery/airstrike per mech).

IMHO, this is simple and works well on various levels:

1.) Balancing
It reduces the performance of Clans without any nerfing or redesigning of Clan weapons, hardpoints, etc.

2.) Lore
Clans are tactically rigid, maybe even dull, while IS are creative, play dirty at times, etc.
Whenever a Clanner "informs" his target of his intentions to attack, I imagine an IS commander saying "Ok, great, we'll send airstrikes over, stay put". (lol)
I may be wrong (and I am too lazy to do the research right now), but afaik Clanners would never use things like artillery or airstrikes, they rather want to fight it out using mechs and only mechs, preferably in 1on1 combat.

3.) Diversity
It would bring a little tactical diversity to the sides. Not just two tactically identical sides with better tech on one side, but different tactical potential.
IS Mechs may have worse tech per se, but they have richer tactical means, also "makeshift" improvements like cool shots that clanners would probably never even think about using.

Edited by Paigan, 21 March 2015 - 05:54 AM.

#2 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:28 AM

Interesting. The main problem is most other clan players no matter what they may say don't actually want balanced, they want better.

#3 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostHillslam, on 21 March 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

Interesting. The main problem is most other clan players no matter what they may say don't actually want balanced, they want better.

So do IS players. But that's no reason not to strive for balance ... :D

#4 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

This would be a non-starter. Certain consumables, Arty and Air Strikes, and UAV are far too important in group play. Losing their use would be an insurmountable hurdle.

#5 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:34 AM

How would this balance lesser clan mechs which can be some of the worst in the game against the many quirked up IS juggernauts out there?

Game is fine really, what we need is more map diversity and for more people to play their mechs the way they were designed to be played. But no!! what everyone wants to do is play nascar 2015 MWO edition, brawl and peek corners from under 200m! That creates so many problems and imbalances right off the bat!

Edited by W A R K H A N, 21 March 2015 - 05:37 AM.

#6 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

Actually no, most IS pilots do want balance. clan players flat out want asymmetrical, and they want on the hero gear, outnumbered side.

#7 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

Very interesting idea, but how would balance be achieved for competitive games? I can see that being a potential sticking point.

#8 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 21 March 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

How would this balance lesser clan mechs which can be some of the worst in the game against the many quirked up IS juggernauts out there?
[...]

Because if IS and Clans can be balanced on a more tactical level instead of a head-on weapon stats level, many quirks (like the ridiculous 200% DPS Dragon) could be reduced.

#9 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:47 AM

This would do absolutely nothing for the public queue, where next to nobody can afford to use consumeables in the first place.

That said, I feel that the difference between IS and clans is next to zero right now, so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

#10 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostAEgg, on 21 March 2015 - 05:47 AM, said:

This would do absolutely nothing for the public queue, where next to nobody can afford to use consumeables in the first place.

That said, I feel that the difference between IS and clans is next to zero right now, so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

The public queue doesn't need IS vs. Clans balancing because they are mixed anyway.

#11 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

View PostPaigan, on 21 March 2015 - 05:51 AM, said:

The public queue doesn't need IS vs. Clans balancing because they are mixed anyway.

So? If clan was better, nobody would play IS. Or at the very least, IS would slowly phase out of the game as everyone moved to clan.

#12 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostAEgg, on 21 March 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

So? If clan was better, nobody would play IS. Or at the very least, IS would slowly phase out of the game as everyone moved to clan.

What you write makes no sense. My suggestion was to take something away from clans and give more to IS.
Why would that make clans better?
Please try to understand the proposal.

#13 Walluh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 682 posts
  • LocationLovingly stroking my Crab Waifu

Posted 21 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

View PostHillslam, on 21 March 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Actually no, most IS pilots do want balance. clan players flat out want asymmetrical, and they want on the hero gear, outnumbered side.

Everyone who calls for nerfs on the opposing side claims it's for 'balance.'

They usually just want easier wins.

#14 Templar Dane

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Yes, please nerf the good clan mechs so they can all be terrible.

#15 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:12 AM

I want knockdown re-introduced just to take care of Lights.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:29 AM

Why it makes sense lore-wise:
Spoiler

As for my opinion? I think removing consumables (especially artillery/airstrikes though all isn't a bad idea) would add a large distinction away from the IS and I'm in favor of it.

Would it affect how good or bad certain mechs are? No, no it wouldn't.

Would it affect how Clan versus IS matches are played? Most definitely.

Could PGI reliably allow consumables for Clans in Public Queues but take them away in CW? Probably not, short of disabling all consumable functions for the Clans in CW akin to disabling 3PV. I doubt PGI could really get away with targeting specific consumables.

Would people affected by it like it? Only the true Clanners (with some room for deviations). Not so much those who play the Clans because "competitive" or because "meta" or because "cool."

Edited by Koniving, 21 March 2015 - 10:49 AM.

#17 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Taking UAV away from the clans would be a terrible burden. You'd see a lot more LRM boats on the IS side during CW. On the other hand, if they introduced the laser AMS system (which, at this point in the timeline, only the clans have access to) it might mitigate the expected LRM spam somewhat.

Plus I'd really rather not see a constant artillery/bomb strategy from IS teams. It would make CW even more boring.

#18 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

i would be positive with "no-strikes" for clanmechs.
all others should stay.

#19 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:47 AM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 21 March 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Game is fine really, what we need is more map diversity and for more people to play their mechs the way they were designed to be played. But no!! what everyone wants to do is play nascar 2015 MWO edition, brawl and peek corners from under 200m! That creates so many problems and imbalances right off the bat!

Haha yes, change 200m to 800m though and it's more accurate

#20 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

View PostMike McSullivan, on 21 March 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

i would be positive with "no-strikes" for clanmechs.
all others should stay.

Yeah, maybe so.
Maybe also more consumables for IS, like one-shot limited ammo refill etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users