Heat Vision Mode Sees Through Walls

8 replies to this topic

#1 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

For those wondering why you are getting smoked and why the 12 man units always seem to find you: at a distance, on certain maps in CW, and probably public as well, heat vision allows you to see heat signature silhouettes through walls.

The supposedly elite units kept that info to themselves, instead of sharing it with the community. Next time you drop on sulfurous, go into heat vision, suffer the white harshness, at around 700m and beyond, you will see dark spots: mechs. You can even see them through Dropship hulls.

#2 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:46 PM

So that's what you were referring to in-game today.

This is a bug that's been around for awhile, and it isn't just a thing on Sulfurous. It's on other CW maps as well. Personally, I think it's more of hinderance, as often I'll end up shooting mechs that I think I have a clear shot on, and end up shooting a wall instead.

Watch my twitch recordings of CW. I avoid being in thermal if at all possible, especially on Sulfurous. In fact, sometimes I play with my HUD off for the lulz, which I'm sure pretty much everyone can universally agree is definitely not an advantage.

Whatever floats your boat though. Obviously my guys couldn't possibly have beat your team of mostly solo players because we're organized. No, it's definitely because we were all rocking thermal on Sulfurous to verify that you did indeed run behind a rock.

#3 ThrashInc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Kept it secret by removing the ability for anyone else to press H?

top kek

#4 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostDaFrog, on 21 March 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

For those wondering why you are getting smoked and why the 12 man units always seem to find you: at a distance, on certain maps in CW, and probably public as well, heat vision allows you to see heat signature silhouettes through walls.

The supposedly elite units kept that info to themselves, instead of sharing it with the community. Next time you drop on sulfurous, go into heat vision, suffer the white harshness, at around 700m and beyond, you will see dark spots: mechs. You can even see them through Dropship hulls.

It's more like 400 meters, but i'm not sure you can actually see them through walls? I think level geometry still blocks vision correctly. In any case, it's extremely useful for detecting powered down mechs when the team you're annihilating decides to timer scam you.

#5 Deckard Caine Sender

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 35 posts
  • LocationCWI

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

It does indeed have different visibility than standard vision. I have wasted many a shot into the hills on caustic valley saying "why did that not hit... it was solidly CT. <switch to standard> Ah... only the very top is visible"

I have to say that I find many of the terrain hitboxes to be terrible. And sometimes frustratingly lopsided.

#6 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

Your just a little slow and that doesn't mean everyone else is taking advantage of you for not telling you about the super obvious thing that isn't worth mentioning because everyone just notices it once they have used heat vision on all the maps..

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

I've only noticed this on the rock formations on Sulfur and the sides of the drop ships.

#8 Crasher2003

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 19 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

View PostDaFrog, on 21 March 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

I can shoot you through a dropship hull too. SERCRETS

#9 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

It's actually great on Terra Therma and Caustic Valley when you're trying to locate that F****** PPC ECM Spider. Enemies at around the 700-900m mark will show up as black dots, PROVIDED YOU HAVE LoS! They can still hide behind Terrain, but if the Muppet decides to stand in the open because ZOMGOPECM makes them Invistabull, then you can blind yourself (and anyone spectating) to get a clear shot on them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users