Unlock Clan Double-Heatsinks In All Clan Mechs'

8 replies to this topic

#1 vopdig

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationDunedin

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Clan mechs seem greatly inferior to their IS counter parts (according to my experience in CW), this could be fixed easily by unlocking all immovable clan double-heatsinks which would result in more tonnage being freed up and allowing more fearsome builds (I don't recall any previous mechwarrior games having clan double-heatsinks locked to a chassis?). One example of a mech that could greatly benefit the unlocking of heatsinks is the warhawk, right now the warhawk is a really terrible mech to pilot because it is filled with far too many double heatsinks which would be all wasted if someone chose to make a build with no missile or energy weapons.. for a mech that is just as large as a direwolf and almost just as heavy it should be a feared mech not a deathtrap..

So what does everyone think?, should PGI allow players to free up more slots/tonnage in clan mechs by unlocking the heatsinks this would result in clan mechs performing alot better on the battlefield which is very much needed right now i reckon..

#2 FREDtheROLF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

Clan inferior NOPE !!! seen the faction map lately ???
Just another troll thread ???
feature REJECTED!!!!

FtR

#3 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

I think you are not a very good player or mech builder, and you have little to no actual experience playing this game.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

Problem it allows simple another can of worms
Twolf got 5 Sumomer 4tons
Sumoner is still bad

Other designs may become better Gargoyle for example
But then?
The Gargoyle as well as the Twolf have heavy energy load - so with some exceptions you keep it this way

#5 BetaVirus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:00 AM

i agree on not forcing any kind of locked down parts on a mech. If i want to remove the heatsync or the Jump Jets let us. there is no need to lock it. that was never a requirement in any of the MW games that i played

#6 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

I don't agree with this. It keeps mechs unique; helps artificially balance mechs (like the Timberwolf; if that thing got more pod space...no thanks); and keeps players from doing things like taking the Adder and making yet another laser-vomit build out of it. Booooring. (besides the flamer actually can be handy if you're clever with it)

You mentioned the Warhawk specifically, and trust me, that's not a problem - that's a feature. All Warhawk builds embrace & rely on having those heatsinks (or should if they don't) - otherwise, why use the Warhawk instead of something else?

It's 15 tons lighter than the Dire Wolf, so it's not really "as heavy" - that's the difference between a Raven and a Hunchback, mind you.

And you can ask any of the players I've faced today in Community Warfare whether my 4ERLL+2streak6 warhawk is a "deathtrap"...maybe for them, it was....

My advice? Stop thinking of the Warhawk as a Dire Wolf clone. Use it as a stand-off assault mech, akin to a PPC Awesome or LL Stalker: mechs suited for brutalizing enemy mechs at long-range. And if you like LRMs, it can bring lots and lots of those, too.

Edited by Telmasa, 23 March 2015 - 02:32 AM.

#7 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

As both a clan mech and IS mech user (around 4 clan, 10 IS), I do understand some difference between clan and IS.

I'm fine with hard-locked FF or Endo. They only take up 7 slots (not 14 like in IS), and thus need to be placed in very specific spots or the mech would just fall apart. However, engines, which all take up the same critical slots, and heatsinks, shouldn't be hard-locked.

The engines are my main issue. As someone who's piloted lights I can tell you first-hand that 97 isn't fast enough for a light. My raven runs a respectable 130 and kicks ass. If we could unlock the engines for clans, and remove the hardpointed heatsinks, I think that would balance it a bit.

Also, I don't mind hard-pointed weaponry if it's specifically laid out in the lore. AKA the adder has a flamer. That's cannon. Can't take it out.

The jump-jets get me a bit too, especially on a mech like the Summoner. Not only does it lack Endo-steel, but it comes with 5 jump-jets. The thing ends up with so little pod space and so little hardpoints that the Timber is superior in every way. I argue that there is literally no build you can do better in a summoner that you couldn't do better or equally well in a timber.

Edited by Night Thastus, 23 March 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#8 Firewuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

Hahahahaasa.... your funny.

#9 markomaniac

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

Please don't make the clan mechs any more powerful, they are already kicking enough ass in CW without the boost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users