ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 March 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

-sigh- The mechs in battletech are NOT lumbering beasts... there is events in lore, of competitions that have mechs doing hand stands, playing chess... they are jut not Gundam agile....

Actually, they originally were, for the most part. But that wasn't sexy enough for fiction, so the they got Stackpoled.

#22 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:08 AM

"In 3047 the first Noisiel Summer Games were held, with the Duke of the world fighting his son in a BattleMech duel. The two men fought in Atlas 'Mechs to determine who would bid on a government contract. Unlike most 'Mech duels, the two men used their 'Mechs as rugby players, moving a half-ton sphere around a one square kilometer playing field. This proved to be so popular that the Noisiel Summer Games were expanded to include 'Mech-scale hockey, football, baseball, and chess. The event is twelve days long, and provides a unique outlet for MechWarriors to show their skills. The Games put more focus on finesse and piloting skill than they do gunnery"
- http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Noisiel

#23 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

View Poststjobe, on 23 March 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

I see it more as a tag-team effort. You use your :ph34r: skills to get basic info out fast, and I come puttering along later with my lab coat and glasses pushed onto my forehead and blather on endlessly about intricate details ;)

That sir is a perfect synopsis of how it goes. Team work. o7

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

Actually, they originally were, for the most part. But that wasn't sexy enough for fiction, so the they got Stackpoled.

No no dude the Mackie can do a hand stand. /sarcasm

Posted Image

Just dont talk about his uh....'pelvic mount'.

He's sensitive about it.

Edited by KraftySOT, 23 March 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#24 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 23 March 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

But I can tell you all what people see in that trailer and love.

Its the pacing. Its the weight of weapons fire. Its the movement of the reticle, and the movement in the cockpit.

Thats what people latch onto that MWO doesnt reproduce that keeps this trailer coming up again, and again, and again, and again. Theres a huge wait between PPC firing, the PPC has a nice hefty effect, it knocks the other mech around, there appears to be a floating crosshair to make aiming difficult. The two mechs of high tonnage are battling each other without alpha strikes coring each other in seconds.

Thats what people want.

It has nothing to do with destructible environments, the quality or lack there of of the models, the explosion of the fusion reactor, ejecting, none of that.

Its the pacing and the gravitas, the weight, the heft, the power, of the weapons, that is apparent from the sound, effects, on hit effects, and recycle time. It looks cooler, more steadily paced, more tactical, and more immersive than our arcade action game.

Thats what people want. What we wanted during kickstarter, what we wanted since MW2 Mercs really. Gravitas.
grav·i·tas

ˈɡravəˌtäs/

noun[color=#878787 !important]
[/color]

• dignity, seriousness, or solemnity of manner.
Edit:

And really this is true of all the MW trailers and intros. What those show, and what the game plays like, are completely different.

This actually used to upset the heck out of people to the point that out of engine cutscenes are really a thing of the past.

In engine cutscenes, or even like Halflife presented, in game on going dynamic story telling with scripted events, is where its at these days.

We really should be emulating to a better degree, at least what was in the older trailers and intros. Its ridiculous that its been so many years, and we're still struggling over what to do about alphas, crosshairs, legging, knockdowns, sensors, movement archetypes, melee, combined arms warfare...

We still dont even have a leg dragging animation for a destroyed leg like they did in the MW2 trailer. Its...crazy sauce.

At least our PPCs arent Descent like balls of blue fuzz anymore.

This guy speaks the truth.

#25 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:13 AM

Firemoths out running the PPC sprites in MW2 is just about the funniest and saddest thing in any game. Ever.

#26 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

Believe it or not, I actually like the game that we play now. A lot actually.

If I didn't, I wouldn't keep buying the mech packs they keep releasing.

#27 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

The sense of scale is much better done in this video. Besides that I don't know, I'm quite happy with MWO as it is?

#28 Daiichidoku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 23 March 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

Why are you posting this asking about why our game doesn't look this way?

try (re)reading my post instead of reacting, what is quoted is not the case

#29 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2015 - 10:07 AM, said:

Actually, they originally were [lumbering beasts], for the most part. But that wasn't sexy enough for fiction, so the they got Stackpoled.

I dunno about that man. This is from the original TRO:3025 (published in 1985), entry about the Wasp:

Posted Image
(Technical Readout: 3025, p.10)

'Mechs were always rather nimble machines, as I recall it.

#30 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

-sigh- The mechs in battletech are NOT lumbering beasts... there is events in lore, of competitions that have mechs doing hand stands, playing chess... they are jut not Gundam agile....

What video do you just watch? They (i'll under line bold and italic it, as that seems like the thing to do) ARE lumbering beasts in this video, which adds to the scale of size and heft to them.

Sure ducking behind a building, (covering almost a city block), in a split second isn't lumbering. But it makes it seem like they are very large, by the ratio of movement to it's size. An Atlas traveling at 50kph would look like it's moving in slow motion, where as a humming bird would look as if it's going super sonic. Same speed, different looks. The way mechs move in this game just makes me feel like they are about human size, and spiders are the size of toddlers.

#31 Gravitas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 139 posts
  • LocationTX

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

Thats what people want. What we wanted during kickstarter, what we wanted since MW2 Mercs really. Gravitas.

I know I've certainly always wanted more of me in MechWarrior games.

;)

Your other points are spot on as well.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:46 PM

View Poststjobe, on 23 March 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

I dunno about that man. This is from the original TRO:3025 (published in 1985), entry about the Wasp:

Posted Image

you notice how it was described as "smashing" instead of something graceful?

#33 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

#34 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

Gundams arents even Gundam agile. See the 08th MS Team for how Mobile Suits would actually behave. Not this Gundam SEED/Destiny bullshit.

#35 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Well, a jumping kick from a martial artist can also be described as "smashing" his/her leg into the opponent's face. It's the force that does it, not how gracefully that force is delivered.

Smash
* to hit or strike (someone or something) with force.

#36 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostDaiichidoku, on 23 March 2015 - 06:50 AM, said:

How do you think this compares to what we ended up getting?

Too bad we dont have destructible environment, anyhow

Why does that butt ugly, dramatically scripted, theatrical abortion of a non-viable gaming experience keep showing up here in the forums. That trailer was as believable of a game experience as an action figure commercial using all those set pieces you could never get...unless your Dad built Hollywood set miniatures.

There are so many things about that trailer that make for a poor game. The only thing that trailer did well was creating a dramatic scenario and using higher resolution graphics for what appears to be a highly clutter and visible range limiting area(which certainly allows for the higher detail)the size of Caustic Valley's caldera.

I have as much faith in that trailer as a certain brand of tennis shoe making me run faster and jump higher just because it has shinny wings embroidered on the back heel.

#37 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

View Poststjobe, on 23 March 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

HG can burn in hell. ********.

Posted Image

#38 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

View Poststjobe, on 23 March 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

I recall the Camacho's Caballeros playing American-style football or something with mechs, using their Rifleman as a referee; it cost them money in terms of blown actuators and damaged armor plating, but they had some of the finest pilots, if not gunners, out there.

#39 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

View PostCocoaJin, on 23 March 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Why does that butt ugly, dramatically scripted, theatrical abortion of a non-viable gaming experience keep showing up here in the forums. ...

KraftySOT answered your question.

Pace. Weight. Movement. Enviroment.

Gravitas.

All the things we do not have, yet some people would love to have. Me too.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 23 March 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#40 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

Depends if you mean by their top speed or their agility. Because by top speed, MechWarrior: Online is ridiculously over the top fast. Lore 'Mechs were subject to lore and hence weren't all running the top-of-the-line engines with super optimized loadouts.

If you mean by agility, then all MechWarrior games haven't depicted BattleMechs correctly. MechWarrior has always been a tank with legs feeling game, and it's more than a little disappointing that newer MechWarrior games haven't put any effort into innovating and putting more depth into the movement of 'Mechs. Ducking, dodging, leaning around corners, all of that should technically be possible in a BattleMech.

But I can tell you all what people see in that trailer and love.

Its the pacing. Its the weight of weapons fire. Its the movement of the reticle, and the movement in the cockpit.

Thats what people latch onto that MWO doesnt reproduce that keeps this trailer coming up again, and again, and again, and again. Theres a huge wait between PPC firing, the PPC has a nice hefty effect, it knocks the other mech around, there appears to be a floating crosshair to make aiming difficult. The two mechs of high tonnage are battling each other without alpha strikes coring each other in seconds.

Thats what people want.

-snip-

Hit the nail on the head so hard it flew out the other side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users