Module - Virtual Combat Data

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Module - Virtual Combat Data (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want this module

1. Yes, please! (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No, thanks. (3 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Filthy Peasant

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

TL:DR; A module that provides color highlights of hit boxes that reflects section hp on locked targets.

To many its a second nature to flick your eyes over the target display once you have fully locked a target to see what its carrying and whats its state of armor and internals are. That's fine and dandy, i don't mind it myself, but i think we can make a module that serves this purpose to an expanded degree, and makes brawlers happy.

I would like a module that if you have a target fully locked (aka its full data display is available to you in the HUD, Whenever/wherever your 'Mechs arms cross a section of that Mech it displays a color over that hit box that is representative of its status.

Color coding like this would make both new players and older players running this module happy.

Why?
  • If the colors fade from Green to yellow to red to black (Fresh, 50% armor, 25% armor, only internals left) it gives an active display on the target.
  • It confirms that you are indeed lined up with the target and this point to point lasers or super fast projectiles will most likely hit
  • Ever seen a mech hidden behind non-blocking textures? (im looking at you trees) if the highlight superseded these things (after all its a cockpit effect) this could gives you a cleaner picture of your target without relying on the red flash of a hit and then looking at the damage display to see where you hit.
What I don't expect:
  • All components hightlighted. Aaah please no, no eyesores of a rainbow fire-starter i have locked running around me.
  • It working on unlocked mechs. Frankly anything to encourage radar locking targets is a good thing.
  • It to work in the presence of ECM, after all its advanced electronics.
Personally i think this would be awesome, and provide more opportunity cost to certain modules.

#2 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

I vote no, cause I think it's cheesy to have the hud display enemy mechs in multi-color "chams" fashion. The game would feel even more gimmicky (and I HATE gimmicks with a passion) and also gain a cartoony aspect that recalls far too many cheesy console gaming titles.

What I *would* like though, is perhaps an option that can replace the paper doll with a health bar for each section of the mech, like the toggle-able function from MW4.

Edited by Telmasa, 23 March 2015 - 02:21 PM.

#3 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

This is a neat idea and is already similar to different vision modes. I think it's a great idea and may be a huge help for new players who don't understand component damage and whatnot. Personally speaking, I doubt I would purchase it, but I think the concept is cool.

View PostTelmasa, on 23 March 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

I vote no, cause I think it's cheesy to have the hud display enemy mechs in multi-color "chams" fashion. The game would feel even more gimmicky (and I HATE gimmicks with a passion) and also gain a cartoony aspect that recalls far too many cheesy console gaming titles.

You do know that you would not be required to purchase the module and see its effects right? Thus dodging the "gimmick" cartoon? In other words, it's optional and you'd never know.

View PostTelmasa, on 23 March 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

What I *would* like though, is perhaps an option that can replace the paper doll with a health bar for each section of the mech, like the toggle-able function from MW4.

That I wouldn't mind seeing.

#4 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 24 March 2015 - 12:32 PM, said:

You do know that you would not be required to purchase the module and see its effects right? Thus dodging the "gimmick" cartoon? In other words, it's optional and you'd never know.

The same logic here applies to artillery/arty strikes, which I also never use for that exact reason: I don't have to be using the thing in order for it to be a gimmick that ruins the game for me.

I really do not want to be playing a Mechwarrior Online that recalls the worst days of games like Counter Strike or Combat Arms.

#5 Sparks Murphey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 24 March 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

The same logic here applies to artillery/arty strikes, which I also never use for that exact reason: I don't have to be using the thing in order for it to be a gimmick that ruins the game for me.

I really do not want to be playing a Mechwarrior Online that recalls the worst days of games like Counter Strike or Combat Arms.

Not really. Artillery/airstrikes have an external effect on the battlefield, the suggestion here would only have an internal effect on how the player perceives the battlefield. You can't tell whether another player is using night vision to shoot you.

#6 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

View PostTelmasa, on 24 March 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Sparks nailed it. Your logic is flawed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users