How To Improve Invasion Mode

5 replies to this topic

#1 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

Firstly, this is not about Clan vs IS balance, at all. It’s simply about the CW invasion game mode and how I feel it could be easily and dramatically improved.

In my opinion rushing is a ridiculous tactic that shouldn’t be viable without a great deal of co-ordination (for either side) – it’s not fun to do, and it’s not fun to play against. I have no problem with the people doing it though, since its breaking no rules and trying to win is trying to win – its effective. (as I side note since I pretty much refuse to play the rush game, and as such if im dropping solo in CW I only defend – no chance of having to deal with being on a team that wants to rush). I also have a LOT more fun in the counter attack/hold territory game mode for the above reasons. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT SAYING IT IS UNBEATABLE CURRENTLY, SIMPLY THAT IT IS NOT FUN (though see below..)

I believe that it is VITAL that this is fixed in some way before the Arctic Cheater is released. IS do not have the streak options clans do to cope with the light rush, and 12 ECM carrying 142kph jumping ninjas will be damn near impossible to deal with without an enormous skill disparity imo (mist lynxes have no DPS if they have ECM plus are slow and fragile for lights, and ferrets can’t jump or carry ECM) – remove the ability to rush objectives though and I don’t see them causing a problem.

Here is my suggestion to resolve this and make CW a lot more fun without needing an enormous amount of work:

1) Most importantly rework both of the original CW maps, PGI have learned a lot imo, and the 2 new maps are a VAST improvement over the original 2 – sulphurous most importantly needs reworking, and I think it should be removed from rotation until fixed (boreal isn’t as bad, but also needs work) – on Sulphur it is almost impossible for the attacking team to AVOID spawn camping the defenders due to the ridiculous location of the defender spawns and the small size of the base inside. Imo an area behind Omega should be dug into the existing back wall of the map, probably raised up a little (much like Hellbore) and the defender spawns should be moved in there. Similar for Boreal. Standard attacking tactics for Sulphur are: push into the right hand gate, move up to the cover on the far right and you get to spawn camp and remove 4 enemy players from the game. Absurd. (I don’t think spawn camping the attackers is a problem, those LL toting dropships HURT, and if your team is badly enough outmatched that the enemy have pushed out all that way and are tanking the dropships to spawn camp.. you were doomed anyway)
2) Change the current O-Gen mechanics. Instead of a destruction objective which can be rushed, killed and forgotten about, change them into 3 Capture point style objectives (which should NOT have line of sight to the Omega cannon) and require either 1 or 2 out of the 3 to be HELD in order for Omega to be vulnerable (amount of time taken to cap/uncap can obviously be balanced around, and the cap areas should be defendable to give the attackers a chance to hold it. Might want to put roofs over them to stop inevitable arty spam). This almost completely eliminates the rush style of gameplay, unless a very co-ordinated rush with 2 groups taking a cap point and a 3rd going to DPS Omega. If you pull that off you deserve the win, good job. This would obviously make things harder for the attackers, so some balancing of the turrets might be called for, along with a possible increase for attacker drop tonnage (though moving the defender drops further from the action should help the attackers clear some area as well). The main objective here is to force the teams to ‘fight’ for the win – if your team cannot actually put up a reasonable fight against the enemy team due to skill disparity.. then you shouldn’t be able to win by cheesy tactics. Sorry.

#2 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:07 AM

1. Generally agree on sulphurus... it is hard not to spawn camp when you got dropships landing so close to the gates... you physically CAN'T get to omega without standing on/by the dropzones...

2. I said once, IMHO the whole idea of an objective: "destroy 4 immovable objects using 48 Battlemechs" just cannot work well.

If we had def dropzones in some distance from the omega (like it is on the canyon already), the objective could be to destroy the gens and then HOLD the area around the cannon to disable it. More or less like a conquest mode, but with one node around the omega that can be capped only if no defender is around (eg. no defender close to the omega for 30 consecutive seconds). The general win objective would be to push the defending forces out of the base they defend... you force them back to their spawn, you win. I think that would feel more like war.

Hell, even adding 'get more kills' requirement, a bit like in the counterattack would improve things a lot. Like the match end if omega is down and the attacker has at least one more kill.

EDIT: btw, shouldn't this topic be in the CW section?

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 24 March 2015 - 03:09 AM.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

Invasion mode is a poor man's attempt at Unreal Tournament's Assault mode. I had tons of fun in the UT Assault mode. MWO's Invasion mode on the other hand... <_<

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:51 AM

The #1 problem IMO is the DOTA style maps. They need to be opened up, like MWLL and MW4 mercs maps were.

#5 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:02 AM

I'm still of the opinion that invasion should be the most difficult CW battle when taking a planet. The simplest solution is to require a kill lead at the end of the match in addition to taking down omega.

Then attackers need to overcome static defenses, take down the objectives, and defeat the enemy force. Almost like it's an invasion or something.

The rushing should be for the 4v4 raids (break in, hit strategic target, get out) or some other upcoming CW mode.

#6 Tuefel Hunden

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

Relax, by the time the Arctic Cheetah is released the Clans will only be allowed one mech per battle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users