Why Is There No Battletech Movie

172 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

Peter Dinklage to play as Victor Steiner-Davion. Lolololol.

View Postshad0w4life, on 26 March 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

If they wanted it to be successful it would need to do a lot of plot and all the back stabbing etc happening, not a lot of stompy robots. Eg it would end up like Saving Private Ryan if that was based on WoT.

Many of the novels have plenty of back-stabbing, betrayals, and assassinations. The director just needs to make them less 80's.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 March 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#22 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostVandul, on 26 March 2015 - 09:17 AM, said:

Lets just keep Uwe ***** out of it, shall we?

Edit: Haha, hes so bad the forums censored it. B O L L E

Uwe Boll...I am sure after his death he will end up in a part of hell reserved for people who repeatedly violated movies

#23 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

We need:

Explosions

Samuel L Jackson (somehow)

More explosions and lasers

Awesome heavy rockin sound track (Sabbath, Maiden, etc)

#24 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

View PostcSand, on 26 March 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

We need:

Explosions

Samuel L Jackson (somehow)

More explosions and lasers

Awesome heavy rockin sound track (Sabbath, Maiden, etc)

The only badass black guy I remember is Minobu Tetsuhara from Wolves on the Border. Also, Smoked Jaguar Khan Lincoln Osis. The Invasion of Huntress can be a great stand-alone movie. Everyone likes D-Day-esque movies--but this time with giant mechs.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 March 2015 - 10:04 AM.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 March 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

The only badass black guy I remember is Minobu Tetsuhara from Wolves on the Border. Also, Smoked Jaguar Khan Lincoln Osis. The Invasion of Huntress can be a great stand-alone movie. Everyone likes D-Day-esque movies.

let''s not have Sam Jackson as a black space samurai, please...too many memories of Mace Windu.....

#26 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:05 AM

View PostcSand, on 26 March 2015 - 09:06 AM, said:

you'd think this would a great time to make a huge budget Battletech movie
Probably the 1st Somerset Strikers have already chased away any potential investors ;P

#27 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

I am still emotionally moved by this.

Dat Uziel, hnnnnng.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 March 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#28 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:16 AM

Produced by Uwe Boll, written by Stackpole, and directed by Michael Bay. With so much crazy combined it might just work.

#29 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:25 AM

The only person who could adequately direct a Battletech movie has gone off the deep end and is making weird music these days. And no one would watch and it would be a giant flop regardless of it being a 5 hour long master piece.

That man is David Lynch.

And our movie, and Dune, would be quite similar, just, instead of sandworms it would be mechs. Instead of Navigators and the Spacing Guild, it would be Comstar. Instead of Fremen it would be some guerrilla group. Instead of being the Maud'dib, he would discover hes a legitimate Davion.

Really the rest of it could be almost exactly the same. Even down to the vibrablades and personal shields.

Well, and no fight with Sting at the end, because that just about ruined that entire monolith of cinema.

#30 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:27 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 26 March 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

The only person who could adequately direct a Battletech movie has gone off the deep end and is making weird music these days. And no one would watch and it would be a giant flop regardless of it being a 5 hour long master piece.

That man is David Lynch.

And our movie, and Dune, would be quite similar, just, instead of sandworms it would be mechs. Instead of Navigators and the Spacing Guild, it would be Comstar. Instead of Fremen it would be some guerrilla group. Instead of being the Maud'dib, he would discover hes a legitimate Davion.

Really the rest of it could be almost exactly the same. Even down to the vibrablades and personal shields.

I enjoyed the Dune series. I would mind having him direct the BT series as well.

#31 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:30 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 26 March 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

And our movie, and Dune, would be quite similar, just, instead of sandworms it would be mechs.

I dunno about everyone else, but I for one would be perfectly happy to pay money to watch a movie where battlemechs roam wild across the deserts of Arrakis, shooting LRMs at spice smugglers trying to steal their flushed coolant, and the 'mech pilots are all superstitious guerilla-natives wandering from sietch to sietch.

"Remember, son, you must always respect the life-cycle of the battlemech. And also, never fire like five alpha strikes in a row because then you'll explode. Muad'cat."

#32 Felbombling

• 2,973 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Tell Michael Bay that female MechWarriors normally stripped down once inside the cockpit, due to the heat expected inside. He'll make a movie in a heartbeat.

On second thought... scratch that idea.

Edited by StaggerCheck, 26 March 2015 - 10:36 AM.

#33 Tyler Durden

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 99 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:37 AM

With all the major studios apparently having run out of ideas enough to just rehash everything ever made (superhoeros, old shows etc etc)...

Someone on here must be a filmmaker...

GET TO IT

Put MIcheal Bay in charge cause it would have to have loads of HUGE explosions!!!! :lol:

First off, shame on you for invoking Michael Bay. He's such a one-trick-pony hack. He is to movies as KFC is to chicken.

As for a movie, I would support it, but with so much history and character depth, you just couldn't do it justice in even a 2 hour movie.

Most likely, you would need a well-funded TV series. No easy task in my mind, but then I'm not a TV producer, so what do I know?

Edited by Tyler Durden, 26 March 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostFunkmaster Rick, on 26 March 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

I dunno about everyone else, but I for one would be perfectly happy to pay money to watch a movie where battlemechs roam wild across the deserts of Arrakis, shooting LRMs at spice smugglers trying to steal their flushed coolant, and the 'mech pilots are all superstitious guerilla-natives wandering from sietch to sietch.

"Remember, son, you must always respect the life-cycle of the battlemech. And also, never fire like five alpha strikes in a row because then you'll explode. Muad'cat."

Battletech has that already, it's called Astrokaszy
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Astrokaszy
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Double-Blind

#35 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

It has to be a space opera, its not for kids, its not about the shiny robots. Its about political and royal intrigue. Plots, assassinations, dealing with the realm, dealing with the overseers (Comstar), dealing with religious aspects and crazy locals and their customs. Then crushing them, only to have what Americans call 'blow back' and a massive shift in the universe. That way you get the feeling that space operas give, that youre just hearing a small part of the over all story, that the story was going on before the movie started and will continue after the movie is over. Its epic, but it leaves you wanting more. Thats what makes these big sci fi operas of the 60s and 70s and 80s work. You get immersed in the grandness of it all. Thats what brings people into a franchise and makes them stay. They start doing fan fiction and picking up obscure collectors items.

Thats what Battletech needs.

Sadly Lynch didnt do that with Dune, because...1984...Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Star Trek 3 and Terminator happened. Nothing could compete with that. Dune fell into obscurity, and the MASSIVE editing room floor fiasco, because all those movies were shorter and annihilating the box office and they wanted to compete, was to blame.

#36 HighTest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationKitchener, ON

View PostWarHippy, on 26 March 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

Produced by Uwe Boll, written by Stackpole, and directed by Michael Bay. With so much crazy combined it might just work.

OMG that's an awful lot of crazy. Probably more crazy than can safely be had on one place. I think it might cause the Earth to implode or something.

#37 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:43 AM

Conan beat Dune by a million bucks. That was literally the worst year in the history of movies to start up a sci fi movie franchise. Literally the only worst possible time would have been the same week as Star Wars was released. Though Id wager Dune would have captured a more than negligible amount of the Star Wars fans.

#38 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

I saw a special extended edition of Dune a few years later on TV, and it made a lot more sense.

To keep it in scope as a movie, it'd have to be about a small Merc company, I think. That'd also help cut down on the budget since you'd be using the same four mechs most of the time. It helps that a lot of inner sphere planets are backwards enough that you could get away with using present day Earth as a backdrop.

#39 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

With all the major studios apparently having run out of ideas enough to just rehash everything ever made (superhoeros, old shows etc etc)...

Someone on here must be a filmmaker...

GET TO IT

Put MIcheal Bay in charge cause it would have to have loads of HUGE explosions!!!! :lol:

Same reason why there is no Dragon Lance D&D movie... reasons :(

#40 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

In answer to OP: The market is not big enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users