Mechlab Suggestions

2 replies to this topic

#1 Xaul

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

I'm still a newb in MWO, but I've found the mechlab to be (very slightly) lacking in a couple of important aspects. I find it somewhat difficult to compare weapon statistics, especially ranges. It would be convenient if I could select weapons for comparison and have their statistics display in a (hide-able - for when not in use or while selecting weapons) window that shows the numbers side-by-side and line/bar graphs lined up with one another and color coded (to show which weapon each line/bar and number correspond to).

It would also be convenient if the weapon damage/range graphs used a consistent scale, numbers or both. Its hard to go from one to another and determine which has better damage at a given range (usually when comparing at ranges that are past the maximally effective range for at least one weapon) when the X and Y scales change with each one. It also seems strange that the axis scales change from one weapon to another (probably to better fit the data on the graph) yet the machine gun and flamer - having nearly mediocre ranges AND damages (weight, rate of fire, heat and ammo for the MG being their saving graces) - are not apparently fitted to the scale. Given that I haven't really bothered to compare their damage/range characteristics this hasn't been an issue for the MG and flamer, but they and all other weapons would be more comparable - regardless of the graphs - if max effective and absolute max range were also listed as numbers.

It would also be convenient to have filter(s) for ammo selection that would limit ammo to missiles or ballistics only, and/or weapons currently equipped only. It can take a while to find the right one in the large list of ammo options, especially since every type comes in ton and 1/2 ton selection. It might be more convenient if this were simplified in some way, such as a dialog or drop down box for weight/volume/quantity (whatever the ton/half-ton choice is considered), or having those options organized into subcategories or trees that appear once the ammo is selected (selecting an ammo type would reveal the ton/half-ton choices beside or below it or some similar method of keeping the two hidden until selected).

Also convenient would be a count of the total amount of ammo for each weapon on the mech some where that can be easily seen at any time while adjusting the load out. A similar list of all weapons on the mech might also be convenient.

It would also be convenient if I could see the mech's quirks while changing the loadout. This is more of an issue for IS mechs since clan omni-pods provide a means of checking the quirks while changing load out, but having a summary that could be displayed on the side, top or bottom of the screen at any time without switching windows/panels on the left side (i.e. switching between limbs of the mech, or between weapons/equipment/omni-pod etc.). It would also be convenient to see the effect of a quirk when choosing weapons, i.e. cool down reduction quirks result in the cool down before and after the quirk's effect(s) being accounted for, maybe in a format like: cool down normal (adjusted)

On a final note, I've got to say, I liked the weapon/load out interface in mechwarrior 4 (vengance/black knight/mercenaries). It was simple but that made it easy to use. A bit less versatile than in MW3, which had an interface more similar (in my opinion and from what I remember) to what MWO has right now (though it had a more minimalist look - no illustrations of the weapons/ammo/equipment/etc. and other visual fluff - nothing wrong with visual fluff, just makes things take up more screen space and (hopfully) look better). The simple drag and drop method of changing weapons, up/down arrows for armor and ammo, check boxes for equipment and engines etc. certainly things simple. Although MWO has more depth and flexibility (in most regards) when changing load outs, it does lack the appeal that simplicity brings. I'm not sure if there is really much that can be done about that for the MWO mechlab but the tab/panel/screen switching (on the left side - for LA, RA, LT, RT, CT etc, weapons, equipment, ammo, omni-pod, etc) sometimes seems comber some, especially when what I want to do is compare some of the different combinations of weapons from different weapon categories (if I can only put missiles in the LT and lasers in the RA and ballistics in the LA that makes for a lot of limb switching). Such comparisons were much easier in MW4 since it was all drag and drop. Not all of MWO's flexible features and options for load outs and game mechanics (purchasing weapons/ammo/etc.) would likely work as well with the MW4 system, but if some things could be done in a more MW4 drag and drop style that might might make many of my little frustrations and irritations less problematic or concerning.

One last thing. Is the Feature Suggestions section appropriate for suggesting mechs and weapons or map ideas for the game? I figure that I should probably check before posting anything about that, as long as I'm already posting this first. There were some mechs in MW3 and few others from the BattleTech universe (not sure if all of them are viable for MWO but I think that they all fall in the correct timeline restrictions - nothing from after 3059/3060 or so right?) that I'd like to see in MWO. There are also several weapons that I'd like to see, although I know that several aren't from the correct era (those are from just a little to late in the timeline - 3062 and latter I think), but a couple of them might be viable at least by timeline considerations, though game implementation might be a problem for one of them. As for map ideas, I only had one relatively detailed idea, but I also have a few general ones/suggestions that might be worth while.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

A new Mechlab is comming up shortly, but still needs some more internal testing.
https://twitter.com/...047890380247041

#3 Xaul

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:22 AM

Sounds good, can hardly wait to see it. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users