Reason To Get The Tdr-9Se Over The Scr-Prime?

65 replies to this topic

#41 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

View Postzagibu, on 29 March 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Too bad it comes with a STD engine, eh?

I made the same mistake, even looked like an idiot in the forum for discussing its XL engine and how my KTOs could share it.
Palm on Face edited post.
Then got to thinking, well hell thats the problem with this mech right there. A 315 STD is 28.5 tons an XL300 is only 15.5 and works across my whole line up regardless of what I do with this mech.
Funny a STD 315 won't even fit in my Stalkers.
So use my premium time and grind out yet another XL300, I actually need 2 Ive been sharing one between mechs already.
Well Im home with the flu and earned premium time.

PS I hope none of you catch this cruddy flu, I feel like a garbage truck parked on me.

#42 Disco Rat

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts
  • LocationZürich

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

Clans go for the Crow, IS goes for the Bolt. :D

#43 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:45 AM

please delete this post was unintentional double

Edited by Tractor Joe, 30 March 2015 - 04:46 AM.

#44 Taffer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 500 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:55 AM

I went with TDR because champion. Sold my normal 9SE. It doesn't really mean much, but I have been collecting all the C mechs they've been giving out so I wanted this too.

The Crow is just a plain ass cbill version you can get any time. If the Crow was a champion or otherwise special at all then yea I would've picked it. I have plenty of cbills and bays so no reason to pick the crow for a sell+open bay.

Edited by Taffer, 30 March 2015 - 05:56 AM.

#45 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

Ok, I did some adjusting and this thing looks viable now.
Bought the XL and borrowed some stuff from my STK 4N.
XL300
4 LL
6 DBLHS
1 lrm5 and 1 ton ammo
equipped standard armor for the slots
4 JJ
tier 5 LL range mod
adv zoom
airstrike
UAV

I tried 4 LPL but way to hot and no secondary weapon for engaging during cooldown. 5 LL same story. I'll give it a run and see how it does.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 30 March 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#46 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Have both already, except my Thunderbolt isn't the champion version. So, the question becomes do I get a duplicate mech I can get with C-bills or upgrade a mech to get a 30% XP bonus which otherwise would require MC.

#47 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 30 March 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Then got to thinking, well hell thats the problem with this mech right there. A 315 STD is 28.5 tons an XL300 is only 15.5 and works across my whole line up regardless of what I do with this mech.
Funny a STD 315 won't even fit in my Stalkers.

Honestly that 315 Standard Engine is the Mech's biggest issue...
It's too heavy to mount enough Large Pulse Lasers to make use of it's quirks, practically requiring a downgrade to get anything good on it...
And then it hit me; Since I need to buy another Thunderbolt to have enough to master them anyways, why don't I just switch the engines?

So here is what I'm thinking; Build a 5SS as a long range Energy Boat, then when I get the 9SE, switch out their engines.
The 5SS gets a bonus Heatsink in the Engine and extra GO FAST...
Now, how to BUILD the 9SE...
2xLPL, 3xML, LRM10?
2xLPL. 2xML, ERLL, and LRM5?
Or go all in with a 3xLPL and 2xML build?

#48 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

Mine looks like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...856cb4fd7091367

Fast enough and can take damage from both sides. Firepower is nothing to write home about, but good enough with the quirks and lvl 5 cooldown and range modules.

#49 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

View Postzagibu, on 30 March 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

We need AI tanks and infantry to create a more interesting gameplay that makes mixed-type weapon mech builds viable!

Sorry off topic.
Tanks and Helis would be true to the Game Lore to. Someone has had to suggested this. I think that is a great idea and would welcome tank hunting as a new sport.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 30 March 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#50 Kerensky98

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

I already have the stormcrow and am not really interested in the Thunderbolt but figured since it was a Champion mech it would be harder to get since I don't like to pay real money.

Big mistake. I don't like the build. I find the hardpoints limiting. I'd rather have a clan heavy with this loadout. It's worth a bit less than the Stormcrow when sold.

Get the Stormcrow, sell it, and get the mech you really want.

#51 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

View PostKerensky98, on 30 March 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

I already have the stormcrow and am not really interested in the Thunderbolt but figured since it was a Champion mech it would be harder to get since I don't like to pay real money.

Big mistake. I don't like the build. I find the hardpoints limiting. I'd rather have a clan heavy with this loadout. It's worth a bit less than the Stormcrow when sold.

Get the Stormcrow, sell it, and get the mech you really want.

If you haven't figured out the omnipod system... you are doing yourself a disservice.

Oh, you're talking about the 9SE.

It's OK, but the quirks on it are meddling. It's not unusable... it simply isn't that special.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#52 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

If you haven't figured out the omnipod system... you are doing yourself a disservice.

It's OK, but the quirks on it are meddling. It's not unusable... it simply isn't that special.

I think you're off the mark here, Deathlike. 20% heat gen and 20% range on the IS LPL, one of the best guns in the game. And it can comfortably mount three of them with a bigger STD than the old 9S and fire them sustainably with even more precision than usual due to 12.5% duration quirk. And it has 12.5% cooldown too. That's a 33 point alpha that just keeps coming. Not bad for an assault, let alone a tanky 65 tonner. Honestly, I'm baffled this isn't way more popular than it is.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 March 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#53 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:13 PM

Well considering that myself and my storm crows don't get along very well, I'd say fun, for going with the Thunderbolt?

#54 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 March 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

I think you're off the mark here, Deathlike. 20% heat gen and 20% range on the IS LPL, one of the best guns in the game. And it can comfortably mount three of them with a bigger STD than the old 9S and fire them sustainably with even more precision than usual due to 12.5% duration quirk. And it has 12.5% cooldown too. That's a 33 point alpha that just keeps coming. Not bad for an assault, let alone a tanky 65 tonner. Honestly, I'm baffled this isn't way more popular than it is.

Wubbolt (5SS with MPL) is more useful... even for non-Wub builds.

3 LPL doesn't have the same effect.

It's all in one torso, which is a really huge gamble (I've built it with an additional 2 Med Lasers), but I haven't run it live yet. I mean, I could spread 1 LPL elsewhere, but it is what it is.

I'd thought the JJs would be a bonus, but it's not as useful since the Hoverjet™ inquisition.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 05:20 PM.

#55 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'd thought the JJs would be a bonus, but it's not as useful since the Hoverjet™ inquisition.

True, but the amount of times I've hit the space bar on the other variants only to be bitterly disappointed thanks to the 9SE...

#56 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Wubbolt (5SS with MPL) is more useful... even for non-Wub builds.

3 LPL doesn't have the same effect.

It's all in one torso, which is a really huge gamble (I've built it with an additional 2 Med Lasers), but I haven't run it live yet. I mean, I could spread 1 LPL elsewhere, but it is what it is.

I'm actually test driving it right now... So far, not bad, but not awesome. The range is nice, but as you note, actually better on the 5SS. Hmmmm...

#57 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 March 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

I'm actually test driving it right now... So far, not bad, but not awesome. The range is nice, but as you note, actually better on the 5SS. Hmmmm...

Just note I was discussing the 3LPL build on the 9SE.

People actually buy multiple 5SS for doing non-Wub/MPL stuff. The generic 25% range on the 5SS is automatically better than the 9SE (only 20% more range for LPL) and the 15% generic energy heat quirk is already potent (you only get slightly more with the 9SE at 20% for strictly LPL).

When I say that PGI is really bad at balancing amongst their own variants... this is kinda where poop hits the fan.

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#58 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 06:15 PM, said:

Just note I was discussing the 3LPL build on the 9SE.

People actually buy multiple 5SS for doing non-Wub/MPL stuff. The generic 25% range on the 5SS is automatically better than the 9SE (only 20% more range for LPL) and the 15% generic energy heat quirk is already potent (you only get slightly more with the 9SE at 20% for strictly LPL).

When I say that PGI is really bad at balancing amongst their own variants... this is kinda where poop hits the fan.

I know. Yeah. I may be picking up more 5SSs, but pretty sure I'll grab the SCR-P. Tried a bunch of tweaks on the 9SE tonight and...meh. Sure don't need two.

#59 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 03:05 PM, said:

A couple of the SJR guys really like it (especially magician) and actually think highly of it.

I really don't like mine. This is the only build I've done well with it, but I've died to ST destruction a number of times and kick myself for not going STD. Then I remember how crappy the STD builds fit and...play something else.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b72b2010af5abe8

@OP: Seriously, get the Stormcrow.

#60 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

I went and got the Thunderbolt. The reason for this, although the Stormcrow costs more, the Champion variant of the Thunderbolt can only be bought with MC.

I already have both mechs, I just don't have a championship variant. The 9SE works fine with me already and I don't have any issues with it.

If I get the Stormcrow I can sell it or use it as a reserve for CW matches. However, the prime does have a negative perk.

Edited by Anjian, 30 March 2015 - 11:48 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users