21 replies to this topic

#1 Mech Merc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

So I finally got around to buying some modules for my Atlas mechs that I’ve have master rank in skills.

However when I go to the modules almost all of them are locked even though I have the credits and the space ion my mech for them.

For weapon modules, only the large laser and AC20 modules are available?

What are the requirements to unlocking the other modules for my Atlas machines?

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:35 PM

Mech modules are different than skills on mechs. You have to unlock them from the pilot skills section instead with GXP (General XP).

Also, make sure you are unlocking THE PROPER TECH TYPE of weapons. Clan weapon modules will only work for Clans... IS weapon modules will only work for IS.

Very few are interchangeable (NARC+AMS Overload are the exceptions IIRC).

Edited by Deathlike, 30 March 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#3 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

btw you need 3500 GXP for every module unlock (summed up) so choose wisely.

#4 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

View Post627, on 30 March 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

btw you need 3500 GXP for every module unlock (summed up) so choose wisely.

You should say "most".

The AMS ones (for both IS and Clan) are actually higher than the norm.

#5 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

I would say Medium Laser is a safe one to do, as it is a bread and butter weapon, every chassis can make use of an MLAS or two...

#6 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:44 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 March 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

I would say Medium Laser is a safe one to do, as it is a bread and butter weapon, every chassis can make use of an MLAS or two...

Yes, but unless you have extra module slots, you might want to invest in cooldown and range modules for your main weaponry first.

Second, I mean. Radar Deprivation is first, of course ;)

#7 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 March 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Yes, but unless you have extra module slots, you might want to invest in cooldown and range modules for your main weaponry first.

-shrug- never have a slotting issue on my Locusts....

#8 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 March 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Personally, I'd prefer Seismic first. The wallhack is still so strong that Radar Derp is my second choice (meaning, being Lurmed to death is not that important since it isn't frequent).

Still, if you are still progressing... Radar Derp is still good for other things than just straight LRM prevention.

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

You should say "most".

ok, got me there, every "weapon" module :P

#10 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Personally, I'd prefer Seismic first. The wallhack is still so strong that Radar Derp is my second choice (meaning, being Lurmed to death is not that important since it isn't frequent).

Still, if you are still progressing... Radar Derp is still good for other things than just straight LRM prevention.

Personal preference, that's all right :) Me, I get enough matches where the horizon lights up with launches the second you poke your head around cover that Radar Derp is a must.

Seismic lost much of its charm for me when you had to be stationary to use it. I'm very seldom stationary ;)

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 March 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

Personal preference, that's all right :) Me, I get enough matches where the horizon lights up with launches the second you poke your head around cover that Radar Derp is a must.

Seismic lost much of its charm for me when you had to be stationary to use it. I'm very seldom stationary ;)

if lost its charme means OP wallhack... it is still on the edge imho, but way more balanced than before. seriously, how can you get a seismic reading when in the air at 170kph?

#12 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:07 PM

There's a lot of downtime in battles... even while using a Light. Sometimes knowing if there's 1 or 3 mechs coming around the corner is better than just literally walking around the corner to find out.

#13 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Stop every once in a while, you'd be surprised how useful it is to wait behind a building or something for a second to make sure you won't get instantly obliterated by mechs you didn't even know were there.

#14 Mech Merc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

Radar derp - lol, I love it.

Yeah getting missled to death with my 50kph mech is what got me into getting modules finally.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 02:38 PM, said:

You should say "most".

Really? That's seriously funny.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

There's a lot of downtime in battles... even while using a Light. Sometimes knowing if there's 1 or 3 mechs coming around the corner is better than just literally walking around the corner to find out.

I'm also seismic before derp. And more and more I'm using TIG over derp.

#17 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

View Post627, on 30 March 2015 - 02:58 PM, said:

if lost its charme means OP wallhack... it is still on the edge imho, but way more balanced than before. seriously, how can you get a seismic reading when in the air at 170kph?

You don't as far as I know ... you get it for a split second when you hit the ground and your speed drops low enough ... then it disappears again.

I think when a mech hits the ground after jumping ... its ground speed is set to zero and it accelerates from a standing start again. This is part of the reason why jump jets are risky ... good opponents watch for that moment when you hit the ground again to fire at you.

#18 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 02:47 PM, said:

Seismic is great but it isn't a wallhack by any stretch of the imagination. You can't shoot through walls ... can't even see through ... all you get is a flashy red light somewhere near where a mech is moving within a couple of hundred meters. Stationary mechs don't light it up but luckily most folks move most of the time.

If I have room for both I take both. However, usually seismic just increases the situational awareness a bit ... giving more concrete information that you can often gather just by watching the weapon traces or knowing how the map plays out. e.g. if you run over the drop ship on frozen city the odds are good that there is someone on the other side.

#19 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 March 2015 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'm also seismic before derp. And more and more I'm using TIG over derp.

I think for the most part, Radar Deprivation is somewhat of a crutch in regular play.. as you get better at LRM avoidance (and finding cover in general), there is less of a need to really use it. I still use is as the #2 module upon mastery, but honestly it just reminds you about being particular in your approach to the opfor.

View PostMawai, on 30 March 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Seismic is great but it isn't a wallhack by any stretch of the imagination. You can't shoot through walls ... can't even see through ... all you get is a flashy red light somewhere near where a mech is moving within a couple of hundred meters. Stationary mechs don't light it up but luckily most folks move most of the time.

If I have room for both I take both. However, usually seismic just increases the situational awareness a bit ... giving more concrete information that you can often gather just by watching the weapon traces or knowing how the map plays out. e.g. if you run over the drop ship on frozen city the odds are good that there is someone on the other side.

The "wallhack" aspect is just the running joke since its inception, so please don't take what I meant about that part seriously.

The idea of situational awareness (assuming you bother to use your radar map instead of strictly paying attention to the doritos) allows you to make better decisions or calls for when and where to engage. This is honestly lost among some people, and it's just easy to exploit.

A lot of people just don't use their brain, and walk into a firing line at times.. and I've paid for it at times (I usually try to use a UAV before I engage a serious mess) but honestly people don't realize that they can improve their own survival rate in various ways using Seismic and UAV (in fact, they are an extremely exceptional combo).

But hey, I don't use Coolant even though I've gotten all the stuff unlocked. Oh well. I like my heat management tested properly... survival with a little intelligence is worth everything in MWO.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 30 March 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

I think for the most part, Radar Deprivation is somewhat of a crutch in regular play.. as you get better at LRM avoidance (and finding cover in general), there is less of a need to really use it. I still use is as the #2 module upon mastery, but honestly it just reminds you about being particular in your approach to the opfor.

Yep. It does have other uses, though. Especially in lights, ducking behind cover and them being able to immediately change to any direction without your opponent knowing which is pretty doggone useful.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 March 2015 - 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users