Picking First Hero Mech

39 replies to this topic

#21 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 30 March 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

They vary by tonnage of the mech. The Misery mastery pack is 8,785 MC. If you bought the 12,000 MC option that is 49.95. You'd have some left over for mech bays and maybe some GXP conversion to make the grind a little easier.

Yeah, that's the double of what I could afford.

#22 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:53 AM

If you like Hunchbacks, I think the Grid Iron would be a solid addition. If you are concerned about the Gauss mechanic, run a gauss rifle in a different mech first and see if you can live with (even enjoy) that mechanic. If you don't mind it, I'd grab the Grid Iron. It has a rapid firing gauss so it can bring the hurt.

As for others, Ilya is solid. I think the Firebrand is decent too. The Yen Low Wang is always a favorite and may play similar to Hunchback being as they are both quick large ballistic mediums.

Wildcard: I did just get the Jester and I like it. Once you skill it out, you can run 2 LLasers and 4 MLasers at 97 kph with JJs and dual AMS. It is a bit hot, but OK once 2x basics take effect. This mech is a support mech so use the high mount arms for longer range skirmishing attacks. It is not a brawler, It's oversized CT is not friendly for it. It is more longer range fire support.

#23 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:49 AM, said:

Yeah, that's the double of what I could afford.

I understand, that is fine though, if you bought the Misery it gets a c-bill bonus anyways, so you could grind the e-dollars for the other two chassis you want to master it.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 March 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

If you are concerned about the Gauss mechanic, run a gauss rifle in a different mech first and see if you can live with (even enjoy) that mechanic.

I never get the criticism leveled against the gauss mechanic, it actually allows for some last second shot correction once you learn the timing. There are already so many instant high pinpoint damage weapons in the game, its nice to see one with a unique mechanic that takes practice to master.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 30 March 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#24 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

What's this I keep hearing about Gauss Rifles and macros?

Edited by Periphery Rise, 30 March 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#25 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

What's this I keep hearing about Gauss Rifles and macros?

I have heard you can macro it, but I prefer to use the mechanic, its just better to learn it. It really affords you some adaptability in certain situations.

http://mwomercs.com/...he-gauss-macro/

Community generally seems to frown on macro users from what I can tell, I personally prefer the pure experience even though I have the third party peripherals to do it. Only thing I ever considered macroing was TAG, because I wish it would be a toggle instead of something I need to hold down.

I really do not know what PGI's rules are on this sort of thing, so tread carefully and hopefully someone more knowledgeable about this aspect of it will post soon.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 30 March 2015 - 09:09 AM.

#26 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:10 AM

Yeah, I'll skip on the macro. Feels very impersonal.

#27 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

In theory, a disciplined person could train to rhytmically press the fire button so that Gauss charge is always close to maximum, then when you want to fire all you have to do is stay a tenth of a second longer on the button than usual (it's probably what the macro does).

However, I wouldn't focus on the Gauss that much, sure, it's built for it, but it can also work well with other ballistics because of the large general quirk. 25% cooldown is nothing to scoff at. You can make a HBK-4G with c-bill bonus that almost performs like the original: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1c3861f96ffcad

Edited by zagibu, 30 March 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#28 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

I can either buy 1250MC x3 = 21 dollar or 3000MC + 1250MC = 22 dollars.
So, do I go for 3750 or 4250 MC? What could I do with the leftover 500MC?

And the most important question of all... Is the Grid Iron worth it? Is it worth buying a Hero mech? Is there maybe a better mech, more bang for the buck... among the Hero Mechs?

EDIT: Oh and, what are the Champion Mechs? I see some are same as Trial Mechs.

#1: Make sure you will wub and use your hero often. Try to replicate it in another build if you can. Smurfy me blah is great for this.
#2: For a dollar get the extra MC
#3: (I found this out the hard way) Unless your GOOD in your hero it doesn't make sense c-bill wise. AKA: If I do 400 damage in my hero but I can do 800 damage in my regular variant - I'm probably break even C-Bill wise
#4: Even if your damage curve is not that wide you can buy a ton of premium time for months worth of easier XP and more C-Bills.
#5: If your unsure, don't do it.

My 2 cents after buying 3 hero mechs in the last month: I expected my earnings to go way up. It didn't go up as much as I thought. Again, performance > bonus

#29 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:56 AM

My personal taste is

Misery for Assault hero
Ilya or Firebrand for Heavy
Grid Iron or Yen Lo Wang for medium
Ember for lights

I think most people will agree with this assessment

#30 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:14 AM

If you like sniping, get yourself a Grid Iron. The rate of fire is downright lulzy, but it tends to die pretty quickly in a brawl, especially if you use an XL to cram more brawling weaponry onboard, ironically. Fun mech, though.

If you want a hero mech that is speedy, with decent firepower to back it up, I would strongly recommend getting an X-5 and slap 4ML and 2SRM-6 on it. It is quite effective at killing larger mechs, and decent at killing smaller ones, once you get used to the way the SRM's fire.

The X-5 is basically a Super Jenner with a C-Bill bonus and good arm shields; it tends to be a great money-maker.

EDIT: Smurfy's links are not working at the moment.

Edited by Aethon, 30 March 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#31 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

View PostPeriphery Rise, on 30 March 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

So, seeing how some Hero Mech prices in this game are acceptable and all mechs are "equal" unlike the tier system in World of Tanks, I thought of getting myself a Hero Mech, for faster Credit earning since everything else in this game is bloody expensive.

I already have three Hunchbacks in my mechbay and I'm working finishing the Basic for the third one now so I can go to Elite and then Master so I can have two module slots unlocked.
Can this be applied to Hero Mechs? Do they have this progression as well? Basic, Elite, Master?

The reason why I am doing this for Hunchbacks is Grid Iron hero mech. It's only 3750 MC, very affordable even for someone unemployed.
I can either buy 1250MC x3 = 21 dollar or 3000MC + 1250MC = 22 dollars.
So, do I go for 3750 or 4250 MC? What could I do with the leftover 500MC?

And the most important question of all... Is the Grid Iron worth it? Is it worth buying a Hero mech? Is there maybe a better mech, more bang for the buck... among the Hero Mechs?

EDIT: Oh and, what are the Champion Mechs? I see some are same as Trial Mechs.

Hey. If all you're looking at is earning potential, you will earn more with premium time than a Hero mech per MC unless that hero mech is all you play for a very long time.

That said Gauss Grid Iron is way fun

#32 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:15 AM

X-5 is a vastly underappreciated mech.

#33 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 30 March 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

X-5 is a vastly underappreciated mech.

Not at all, I appreciate them very much, to the point where I like taking them apart, piece by piece... starting with one leg, then arms, then a ST... They can be so irritating when they have a good pilot....

#34 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

The Grid Iron is very unique in its fragility compared to the other Hunchbacks. That said, once you adjust to the playstyle it is a fantastic mech. However, don't expect to super hard carry in it because, as I said, it is quite fragile and must be kept off the front lines.

That said, when I go out to grind CBills in an Inner Sphere mech I generally choose the Grid Iron.

Edited by Fate 6, 30 March 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#35 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

View PostCion, on 30 March 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Hey. If all you're looking at is earning potential, you will earn more with premium time than a Hero mech per MC unless that hero mech is all you play for a very long time.

That said Gauss Grid Iron is way fun

This is true a 50% bonus is better than 30% :P

However I invested in AWS HGN and AS7 Hero's and I'm sitting on 30,000,000 cbills and have earned the 1 percent title too.

Premium time slips away while you sleep/eat/shower/shave/poop
Hero mechs are forever :ph34r:

Edited by Xetelian, 30 March 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#36 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostXetelian, on 30 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

This is true a 50% bonus is better than 30% :P

However I invested in AWS HGN and AS7 Hero's and I'm sitting on 30,000,000 cbills and have earned the 1 percent title too.

Premium time slips away while you sleep/eat/shower/shave/poop
Hero mechs are forever :ph34r:

Yes, hero's are forever but most of us like to play different mechs too.
I too have the PB, GI, BH and others. Yet still per mc even if you play occasionally and mostly your one hero it's still more CBILL profitable to get premium time.

Of course we all know the max earning potential it a hero or cbill variant + premium time :)

I'd say get a hero because you like it and not as a grinding machine. That way it's not a chore to play it, and when you do take it out for a spin, you earn extra cash

#37 Periphery Rise

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

Thank you for your input, warriors. I'll take out the scales of wallet and see what I can scrounge upon :)

#38 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 March 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

If you like Hunchbacks, I think the Grid Iron would be a solid addition. If you are concerned about the Gauss mechanic, run a gauss rifle in a different mech first and see if you can live with (even enjoy) that mechanic. If you don't mind it, I'd grab the Grid Iron. It has a rapid firing gauss so it can bring the hurt.

As for others, Ilya is solid. I think the Firebrand is decent too. The Yen Low Wang is always a favorite and may play similar to Hunchback being as they are both quick large ballistic mediums.

Wildcard: I did just get the Jester and I like it. Once you skill it out, you can run 2 LLasers and 4 MLasers at 97 kph with JJs and dual AMS. It is a bit hot, but OK once 2x basics take effect. This mech is a support mech so use the high mount arms for longer range skirmishing attacks. It is not a brawler, It's oversized CT is not friendly for it. It is more longer range fire support.

Make sure you module this thing correctly and its a beast.

#39 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:56 AM

My collection of heroes grew a bit. I bought Misery and Protector to have the Wild Boys from The BattleCorps Legion.

Wild Knight
Jester (AKA Me)
Roughhouse
JD (Jason Drebhold)
Leonidas Wolf

Waiting to see if we get a Exterminator so I can add Our Company CO.

#40 Vahnn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 357 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFargo

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:55 AM

Wang Wang Wang Wang Yen-Lo Wang all damn day.

Huge pin-point firepower on a fast mech with fast torso twist speeds and high twist range. Probably my favorite mech in the whole game.

And it's great for newbies, too, if you ask me. That AC/20 will teach you to lock onto targets and look for weak spots (something I STILL see people fail to do, some of whom have been playing for 500+ games by now). The fact that the gun is in your right arm means you have to learn torso twisting to protect it and spread out incoming damage (perhaps one of the most important skills to learn), and having the left "shield arm" helps out a lot with that. At 107 kph (with Speed Tweak), its speed is nothing to scoff at.

It's a mech that teaches you the value of twisting, positioning (for those right-arm peek shots), and hopefully how to support your heavies/assaults and pick your targets wisely, as well as being a great way to learn the importance of flanking to take advantage of that tender rear armor. (Remember, shooting them in the ass, right between the legs, counts as a Rear Center Torso hit!)

If anyone ever buys ONE hero mech, this is the one I would recommend, hands down.

Edited by Vahnn, 31 March 2015 - 06:02 AM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users