Skill Vs. Firepower

Achievements Gameplay Loadout

13 replies to this topic

#1 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

How about adding a self handicap that works like this:

- you get points for every match according to this formula: performance * (free tonnage / max tonnage), performance could be match score or damage done, not sure which is better
- accumulate X of those points to unlock several goodie tiers (forum badges/titles, cockpit items, maybe even a custom camo?)
- have a few unlocks that don't take accumulate points into account, but max points achieved in this manner in a single match, for the real tryhards heroes
- global leaderboards

The idea is to reward good performance despite bad preconditions. Because it's not hard to do good in your meta TBR, but real hard if said TBR only has 2 ERML.

Now this could either be a challenge event or a permanent thing, although I think it could lead to some hate if you bring your 2 ML Atlas with 35 tons free space into regular matches :).

Edited by zagibu, 30 March 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

I'd rather not gimp my team....Some builds can go a half ton under and be better off, but any more than that is generally a terrible idea.

#3 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:43 PM

My Pirate's Bane might like this idea. Lol

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

god now, I mena how you wanna measurew hat is a so called cheese build and what not?

thats n possibilities having to be judged.

#5 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 30 March 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

I'd rather not gimp my team....Some builds can go a half ton under and be better off, but any more than that is generally a terrible idea.

You mean, you'd rather not have others gimp your team, because you yourself are of course free to not participate.

View PostLily from animove, on 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

god now, I mena how you wanna measurew hat is a so called cheese build and what not?

thats n possibilities having to be judged.

Did you even read the post?

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

View Postzagibu, on 30 March 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

You mean, you'd rather not have others gimp your team, because you yourself are of course free to not participate.

That already happens, in the PUG LIFE

#7 jlawsl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:05 PM

I guess I tried something like this. It was to see how effective the massive cooldown bonus and duration bonus the AWS-PB gets for its energy weapons. I also wanted to see how it would do if I put endo, fero and the biggest std engine I could fit in it. So, there I am, in an Awsome with 2 LLs and a small laser, running a 380std in it(or 370, forgot). It was pretty fun. People aimed for the side torsos because it seemed like they thought it had an xl in it. I liked it. It didn't put out some amazing alpha, but it was fun.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:49 PM

I doubt this fixes anything.

For instance, the .5 tons in my 2 CMPL Mist Lynx that I currently use for Clan AMS with NO AMS AMMO isn't going to do me any significant favors.

This isn't going to change people's loadouts... if anything, people actually get mocked for failing to use all the possible tonnage.

#9 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:34 PM

It's not supposed to fix anything, it was just a random idea for an addition, maybe for a "challenge". You know, like max 10 firepower challenge, max 50% of possible topspeed challenge, max 50% of full armor challenge and other random ideas that would mix the repetitive gameplay up a bit and might even be fun.

Hell, right now, I would be ready to test even crazy ideas, like "your mech can't decelerate" challenge or "your horizontal torso rotation is blocked" challenge.

#10 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

View Postzagibu, on 30 March 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

- you get points for every match according to this formula: performance * (free tonnage / max tonnage), performance could

This would promote all light drop decks.. The amount of tears that would add to the pool already cried by assault pilots, would be stupendous ! :P

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

Why do you think it would help light mechs more than assault mechs? It's pretty hard to free up tonnage on a light mech without going unarmed.

#12 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

View Postzagibu, on 30 March 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

Why do you think it would help light mechs more than assault mechs? It's pretty hard to free up tonnage on a light mech without going unarmed.

Opppss... Your not talking about CW tonnage ?... Don't mind me. :unsure:

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I think a lot of these ideas would be great....for private leagues and servers and game modes, none of which MWO appears to have the population to support ATM, but I think it would be a horrible idea for the "main mode".

#14 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:22 PM

The idea is to reward good performance despite bad preconditions. Because it's not hard to do good in your meta TBR, but real hard if said TBR only has 2 ERML.
Funny how many people do do terrible in meta mechs. So must be at least some challenge to it ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users