The Elysian Fields

1 reply to this topic

#1 SoukouKiheiVOTOMS

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

The night is warm, with a very faint breeze that gives a tingling sensation along my back. I lie in the iron coffin that was built upon our long and "glorious" history of human innovation and pride. Buttons and panels decorate this dark place like the stars and planets of the night sky. Each button memorized for its significance since my short-lived youth, just as the ancients would have looking at the sky. I look up to the sky and it with a slight orange tint as I look through the glass. Every night I ask myself, "I wish to return to the stars so I can shine like them."

But such thoughts are dismissed quickly. Society's values and teachings for such things deem them meaningless. I recall telling my mother I wish to be a bright star and she said with a smirk, "Becoming a star is meaningless. It is the destiny of our people with future warriors to seize all the stars in the skies. To make them the gems on the crown of the Clan." I never really believed what I was told. Man has always had some urge to dominate, yet when I examine myself, I am not in complete mastery of my thoughts and feelings. Why do we always have to project ourselves onto others rather than face our faults and respect them?

Anyway, such thoughts are not for the moment, I'd be lost in them till sunrise. Tonight is one of the few nights we can all sleep on this foreign planet. For now... I shall rest my eyes and mind, for a battle shall erupt tomorrow, and the peace of mind now is necessary to fight.

I slowly begin to wake, as the semi-arid land begins to glow red as the sun rises. I feel well rested, but I would love to sleep some more. I get down from my Timberwolf with my hands running along its rusted legs to get some coffee with the other soldiers.

"Xenia, morning!" Ah, our platoon leader, he's always polite to everyone.
"Morning sir," I say in a dull way. Thank god he's my leader. Other commanders are not so forgiving.
"Haha, wake up, today has to be the first time in a long one since I've smelled coffee in the morning instead of leaked myomer fluid and oil."
I smile, he's definitely right about that. I grab a cup he's already prepared for me. We sit down next to each other, looking at the mechs from the rest of the platoon. They're spread out, bout 20 mechs within this vicinity, couple hundred more not too far away either. Though these are vicious weapons of war, the scene almost looks picturesque. It reminds me of photographs that I saw from our ancient homeland of Terra. Where the nomads in their caravans set up tents and chatted near fires while their camels sit on the ground in a funny way as do our mechs.

Everything looks so nice, I almost feel cozy for some reason. I continue to sip my coffee and I see a bright ember light, screeching through the air like a lost comet looking for its mother. It was almost too fast and too far to appreciate. The stretched orb slams into a sitting Timberwolf's side. Leaving a large and orange flame bursting and tearing through the side of the cone and the missile rack. For a moment, everyone looks in amazement and awe, the commander nonchalantly taking a sip as he watches the Timberwolf keel over to the side in flames.

I drop my cup and a great moment of excitation and panic runs through all the soldiers. Radio transmissions from the nearby formations already breaking through asking us what was going on. I climb up my Timberwolf, without a thought in my mind. I start the reactor on her, and pray that I am not hit.

Bitchin' Betty goes through her normal status updates with her monotone voice as I begin to panic and have a vision of a shell hitting me right through the cockpit, just as I have the chance to move... But luckily I begin moving, walking towards the rest of the group as we form to begin finding what just hit us. The clanking of our chicken-walkers begin to increase in pace, as we fire off questions and ask if any one was hurt.

"Second Lieutenant Johnson, we report only one slight injury," yells Corporal Lee.
"Roger that, scan the area, keep up communications and notify the other groups." That's our platoon leader... always calm and strong. He's like a--

Suddenly, a large screech and explosion hits the ground near me. The vibration from the ground is powerful. The dirt kicks up like a massive wave in the sea, momentarily blinding me and other mechs. I quickly engage thermal vision to see what was going on and make a quick observation.

"Lieutenant, there was no explosion from these two rounds, the velocity and speed of the projectiles indicate a Gauss rifle. We need a UAV to be deployed to scan the basin north from our position." I pray that another round does not fly through one of us.

"Roger that Xenia. Men, move up north and take the position along the edge of the basin. I have a strong feeling it's a Jaeger trying to be smart with us."
"Yes sir," we all exclaim.
"Lee, send a message to the rest of the groups, we likely have a Gauss sniper somewhere. Tell them to keep low and cover us so we don't all get our asses killed."
"Understood sir."

We begin our pursuit of our unknown target. The unknown target... in an unknown land and fought for the vanity of pride. I must focus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shall be continued! I know some terms may be a bit of for BT and all but hey, it's fan fiction and something I'm more familiar with. I hope everyone likes it and please do give some feedback. Like any critique would help tremendously!
Thanks for your time

#2 Bill Bullet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 354 posts
  • LocationHiding from the Maskirovka

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:15 PM

Good stuff, I'm liking the kinda "warrior poet" vibe. One single critique stemming purely from the fact that I am a fountain of useless knowledge: Clanners do not use contractions when they talk (or think I'd assume) because they see it as lazy and barbaric. That's literally it, and I'm well aware how fanboy nitpicky it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users