ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 01 April 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

I understand what you are saying, but my current joystick allows me to place the cursor very accurately so I don't think there is much difference except for the speed of it which might be .5 seconds for a mouse and 1 second with the joystick.

What you gain with a joystick is you control the mech with one hand which gives you faster and more intuitive control of how the mech moves. Sure you can learn Mouse+Keyboard, but all things being equal the joystick will always have the edge. In the beginning though, mouse+keyboard is a nightmare to learn, joystick takes a day or two. And hey, I got a snapshot headshot on a Raven yesterday so with a good joystick, your fine now.

Using the Thrustmaster T16000.m, which has a return spring that is too strong, so I opened it and zip tied 2 spring coils together, which gets the return very smooth, and voids your warranty, but it was only $45. It has a magnetic sensor array which tracks the joystick's positional data over a 16000x16000 grid. Very accurate. Tracks lasers well too.

The giveaway that a player is using a mouse+keyboard is that they will ram you at close range when you start to circle-strafe because they can't cut the corners and aim w,a,s,d as well, so they have no choice. Everything is a trade-off.

Of course.

It's the Zeus that is defective and all the rest of us are just missing that somehow...while everyone else seems to be missing our CTs? :huh:

#102 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

Okay, just got off Alpine with my 8Q, and all I have to say is "Awwwwwwesome!" I managed to take down a Dire Wolf (dakka wolf), a Gaussjager and a Thunderbolt 9S. I feel pretty good about the current state of the AWS-8Q.

#103 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

I own the 8Q, 9M and 8R. Weapon-wise, I think Awesomes are just about right though a couple extra hardpoints would be welcome.

However, I'm pretty sore that the Zeus gets that amount of extra armor and all the Awesome's got is that bit more internals in torso. (Why does a mech more heavily armored than the Zeus have less maxed out armor overall??)

That is not to say the Zeus doesnt deserve it however, but I think even with geometry disadvantage, the Awesome will be in an appropriate place with the same amount of extra armor as well.

Edited by Matthew Ace, 02 April 2015 - 02:33 AM.

#104 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:11 AM

View PostTheSilken, on 31 March 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

It's way too fat. PGI put that thing on a treadmill for a month at least. But seriously, it needs to be thinned. I recommend that PGI reworks it to be around the dimensions of the Zeus in-game model.

By all rights, the Awesome should look rather similar to the Zeus. Both have a similar torso - rolled, upward sloping shoulders and a low-set cockpit - but we somehow instead got a box with boxy legs and tiny arms... doh...

I like my Awesomes, but they are 2nd rank mechs and probably the worst assault mech in the game on average. They are easy to hit, don't roll damage well, and everything has insane alphas these days, which makes life hard for a wide mech with no ballistics and no high weapon mounts.

I have some hope that the addition of dynamic weapon geometry might tone down that huge and ugly box-shaped missile launcher, and maybe additional energy mounts on the torsos will be placed higher, but that's about all I expect to be done, and even that is pushing it. Without a redesign, the Awesome simply is inferior.

Edited by oldradagast, 02 April 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#105 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 01 April 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

Okay, just got off Alpine with my 8Q, and all I have to say is "Awwwwwwesome!" I managed to take down a Dire Wolf (dakka wolf), a Gaussjager and a Thunderbolt 9S. I feel pretty good about the current state of the AWS-8Q.

yes now try it in therma and come back here with your thoughts lol

#106 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

View PostCorrado, on 02 April 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

Did that, only two kills, but 6 assists. The trick to it, is trigger discipline. I ran a Timber Wolf D, before the fixed JJ's on the S-pods, so I'm used to heat management.

#107 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 April 2015 - 08:23 PM, said:

Of course.

It's the Zeus that is defective and all the rest of us are just missing that somehow...while everyone else seems to be missing our CTs? :huh:

I'll duel you anytime, in a Zeus. ;)

Edited by Lightfoot, 02 April 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#108 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 April 2015 - 06:27 AM, said:

Did that, only two kills, but 6 assists. The trick to it, is trigger discipline. I ran a Timber Wolf D, before the fixed JJ's on the S-pods, so I'm used to heat management.

Now run it in CW.

If you run it as a second line mech then it should do well, but if you have more than a few enemies on you it is hard to get out without losing something.

#109 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostBarantor, on 02 April 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

Now run it in CW.

If you run it as a second line mech then it should do well, but if you have more than a few enemies on you it is hard to get out without losing something.

I do, I run it in the colours of the Davion Guards...

Posted Image

Fought purple turkies twice lastnight, got a total of 4 kills and 19 assists between the two drops in my 8Q, before she would drop. I run her just behind everyone else in the second line, since I use her in this build:

AWS-8Q

I took out the SLAS last night, and my performance improved a bit.

It's not a bad mech, it's just not an Atlas, Banshee or King Crab.

#110 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 April 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I'm glad you get some use out of it, that is the only tactic I've had work for me as well.

The problem is it is supposed to be one of the best assault mechs, but it isn't.

If the zeus can do what it is supposed to do then I feel there is a problem with it overall.

I would still love to see some size comparisons between the two, but I'm not going to redownload to do it. :(

#111 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostBarantor, on 02 April 2015 - 08:39 AM, said:

I'm glad you get some use out of it, that is the only tactic I've had work for me as well.

The problem is it is supposed to be one of the best assault mechs, but it isn't.

If the zeus can do what it is supposed to do then I feel there is a problem with it overall.

I would still love to see some size comparisons between the two, but I'm not going to redownload to do it. :(

You should redownload for Urbanmech goodness.

#112 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostCorrado, on 02 April 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

Ya know, oddly, I do some of my best work on TT with my 4x CERPPC Warhawk....when clans first came out, I hadnt dealt more then 250 dmg pretty much ever....there i had a few 600+ dmg games....Last time i was on TT in that mech was like a month ago, I think I got some 500 dmg, a kill, a win and lived lol...

#113 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostPappySmurf, on 31 March 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

I would also like to see all the unseen reappear in MWO but you would have to rename them all (DOOMHAMMER)and make them just different enough not to be noticed by HG.

Posted Image

P.S OP best Awesome build I use 5 medium pulse laser and 2 LRM20 just use as support mech unless lights find you then pulse laser them to death works for me.

Just setting facts straight here.

With Harmony Gold, its not about the names, its about the images. Having something called "warhammer" with TRO 3025 stats and weapons is perfectly legal. Havning any mech that looks like the "MBR-04-Mk.VI Destroid Tomahawk" from Super Dimension Fortress Macross (AKA Macross, AKA Robotech) is illegal because of FASA's settlement with Harmony Gold.

so we can have a Warhammer, we can't make it look like this: Posted Image

#114 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostApnu, on 02 April 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

With Harmony Gold, its not about the names, its about the images. Having something called "warhammer" with TRO 3025 stats and weapons is perfectly legal. Havning any mech that looks like the "MBR-04-Mk.VI Destroid Tomahawk" from Super Dimension Fortress Macross (AKA Macross, AKA Robotech) is illegal because of FASA's settlement with Harmony Gold.

shhhhhhhh!

He says all sorts of strange things. It's usually best to just nod your head, and look for the tranq gun.....

#115 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

So pretty.....

#116 S204STi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

View Postskorpionet, on 31 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

[BAD WORD REDACTED]?

LOL

#117 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 April 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

I do, I run it in the colours of the Davion Guards...

Posted Image

Fought purple turkies twice lastnight, got a total of 4 kills and 19 assists between the two drops in my 8Q, before she would drop. I run her just behind everyone else in the second line, since I use her in this build:

AWS-8Q

I took out the SLAS last night, and my performance improved a bit.

Why cant PGI make the AWS look more like that and less like a barn door?

so we can have a Warhammer, we can't make it look like this:

Where is that image your quoting? While that Warhammer looks a little derpy with those tiny PPCs, it looks so secksy at the same time. And doesnt the Warhammer only have 1 SRM launcher on its shoulder? What is the other thing on the standard Warhammer's? A Radar? ECM?

#118 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 02 April 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Why cant PGI make the AWS look more like that and less like a barn door?

Where is that image your quoting? While that Warhammer looks a little derpy with those tiny PPCs, it looks so secksy at the same time. And doesnt the Warhammer only have 1 SRM launcher on its shoulder? What is the other thing on the standard Warhammer's? A Radar? ECM?

I actually really like the looks of the MWO Awesome...

As for the Warhammer, that standard equipment on the left shoulder is a search light, that is linked to the targeting system...

#119 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Didnt we have this conversation about the problems of the Awesome 2 years ago?... Believe it or not its a hell of a lot better now than it used to be.

Edited by Rascula, 02 April 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#120 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

Bad word? Sorry.

Bad mech? No excuse.

Also, why this huge size difference between Awesome and Zeus? Aren't same weight? Bad model?

PGI fix the model, fix CT, fix hardpoints.

Thanks

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users