Pugs Could Save Cw -Or- What I Liked About The Cw Challenge

25 replies to this topic

#21 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

Clint I love the idea that you are thinking about what would help Cw but I can't agree with you. To do what you suggested would encourage the type of gameplay we already have in the solo queue.
I struggle to play pug games, both solo AND group queue. Because of the overly timid and hyper cautious nature of the playerbase. Most games are hyper camp fests, where people are not being tactical they are simply being timid.

These Cw "waves" are currently the only place I can find semi structured, FOCUSED gameplay in MWO. I and my mates have a purpose, and we are going to carry it out etc. I've also had this experience in EVERY pug (read mostly solos) group I've been in that has bothered to try to talk to each other.

The pugs I have been in that have been stomped have a few concurrent themes:
No one talk via text chat.
No one talks via voip.
No one is on one of the plethora of public ts servers.
Most treat it like a solo pug match, and peek a boo and wait passively for things to be DONE TO THEM.
When suggestions are made, these are ignored.

The pugs I have been in that have not been stomped have a few concurrent themes:
People talk via text chat.
People talks via voip.
Some of them are on, or are open to joining a public ts server.
Most try to work together and are pro active.
When suggestions are made, they are considered, discussed and maybe acted upon.

Notice the key points in the above? It's down to the willingness of the players to engage in what they are doing. This factor is the single biggest thing in the sink-or-swim of MWO CW.
You either want to play as a team, or you don't. End of.
If you want a team experience, you'll seek that out and enjoy it. If you don't you won't and certainly won't have much success or fun.

Now where PGI have gone wrong with Cw is they don't realise the type #2 player, the massively solo online game player is the majority (but not as big a majority as they think they are though) of the playerbase. CW is designed for massively multiplayer online gamers, which in MWO there seemingly are not many of!
The shouts of this is unfair! that is unfair! why should I do that? I don't want to!!! are logic dodging in the extreme, given the current design ethic behind the mode and the game at large. We have a SOLO mode in a multiplayer team game for crikey's sake, that in itself should have given PGI a head's up to what they have to work with.

Edited by kamiko kross, 04 April 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#22 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

Biggest problem is many PUGs tried CW before and again many more tried it during the challenge.. but most wont return, because they were slaughtered by 12 man teams. Most of those that return are there for the rewards and nothing else (so don't care about win / loss, helping the team or Faction) and the others that returned based on the challenge .. well many of those too will realise that the challenge wasn't what CW really is and again leave CW for PUGlandia where there are less wait times and often a chance of a win, unlike with the 12mans often faced in CW. CW needs to change and some loose Elo would help.

kamiko kross obviously wants to play CW himself and his 50 mates and no one else, well that's too bad as CW needs to be opened up for everyone and that means getting PUGs into the game and giving them a fair chance to compete.

Edited by Ace Selin, 04 April 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#23 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostThat Dawg, on 04 April 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Sorry, no fresh unorganized meat for 12 mans egos, the que last night was roughly one third what it was last monday night..Reaping the rewards of #2

Get over yourself. You aren't fresh meat, you're just boring to play when you don't bother to form a team.

#24 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

So, because apparently this is important to some people and I may as well just get it out of the way now, some background.

I through most of the factions for the cheap mechbays, and did it all Pugging. I actually preferred facing the 12 man or six person unit who organised their forces. They were just more rewarding matches. I mean, yeah my High damage/kill count matches were against other pug groups, but if I want those kinda matches, I'll just play solo queue. I did get to drop with a unit yesterday, which was different, and though I did worse than I do solo, they were a good bunch, and I'll prolly try to do so again. But that's where I'm coming from.

So thoughts on suggestions. Not a fan of matchmaker. Getting matches are slow enough, I don't see a way to implement that without slowing it, or removing the option to drop where you want. Also, how else will new players learn if they only go up against new players.

I'm not sure rewarding people for ejecting is a good idea. It steals a kill from someone else, reducing the reward for the other team I'd think. Most people would rather charge in an die, and only eject when there's no enemy nearby.

I find the change of player numbers the most interesting idea, and while I'm worried we'll have even longer wait times, I don't think it'll do what your expecting. With a full four mechs to work with, we still have too many people trying to baby their mechs. We have entire flame wars going on about dropship camping, which results from one team not wanting to engage the other. Reducing mech drop numbers would not help this, in my humble opinion. But i could be wrong. However, while more folk in the battle would be nifty, getting focus fired is already brutal enough. Adding another four mechs to the firing line will only exasperate matters and make it even hard to pug. Still, I think it'd be fun to try. My favourite suggestion, and one I'd not mind seeing implemented.

~Leone, Raid Leader of the Crimson Hand.

#25 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 04 April 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

kamiko kross obviously wants to play CW himself and his 50 mates and no one else, well that's too bad as CW needs to be opened up for everyone and that means getting PUGs into the game and giving them a fair chance to compete.

Please do not deliberately dodge the points I put across. It is perfectly open for everyone. All you have to do is be willing to work with others to achieve a result.
You don't have to be in a unit, or even a group. But you DO HAVE TO WORK WITH OTHERS.

For your info, I do CW primarily as a pug-mostly my unit mates are in US time zones and I'm not always about then. I always try to work with my team IF they will talk and actively try to work together. I do not often come across many 12 mans. Quite a few smaller group mish mashes yes.

Please don't put words in my mouth I have not spoken. CW in it's current format only really fails when your team won't play TOGETHER.
If PGI were to remake it to fit the current solo market, it's have to be very simliar to....team death match. Which we already have as anything more complicated than that requires people to.....perform TEAMWORK.

You deliberately skipped all my points because they are at odds with your personal opinion. i am perfectly entitled to not enjoy solo queue, as you are entitled to not enjoy focused team based gameplay. Why be so rude towards me?
You also ignored my personal experience of why pugs tend to lose and why pugs can win, just because it may not align with your opinion? Or not with your bias?

#26 leatherneck

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 04 April 2015 - 04:25 PM, said:

but most wont return, because they were slaughtered by 12 man teams.

CW was the one of the reasons I came back. I am out of practice. But getting face rolled means on a pug team by 12 man premade is not fun. 12 folks rolled 48 mechs and had ZERO losses in one of the matches today.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users