• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Hey guys, I'm making this thread because in a couple weeks or so, I'll be making maps using Mechwarrior 4 Editor II to make maps to show my ideas for public MWO maps or CW. If you have this tool too, mind showing off a few of the maps that you've made?

1st map I consider making: CW map. Green grasslands. Bright, shinny, and not vibrant like other maps. good FPS, not much foilage but maybe some hills to help protect.

2nd map: CW map. Space. Haven't put much thought into it yet but when I can I'll show it to you guys.

3rd map: Public que grasslands map. Like the CW map but smaller and in a different area.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions to make any maps, be it city, desert, or anything. Mechwarrior 4 had a lot of variation for maps, and in editor I can do more. As of now I have a map in the making, but don't expect anything soon, I want to show it off when It's fully done.

#2 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

lemme find the link to tutorial real quick

http://wayback.archi...rticles&secid=3

https://web.archive....rticles&secid=3

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:51 AM

Never played MW4, but I have a love for mapmaking. Is there any sort of "how to jump in" guide, including where to get the tool and anything else you need to go with it?

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

I do have the link to download it, but have yet to find a jump in tutorial.

EDIT: It's Illegal D:

Thanks for the warning Egomane

Edited by Scout Derek, 02 April 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:27 AM

Would love that. Maybe I'll try digging in myself and seeing what I can figure out on my own.

PGI should really consider community map design - it worked so well for past MW titles, it could work just as well here if handled properly by a dedicated manager.

I feel like drafting maps in CryEngine itself would be the better option, then they could probably be imported directly for testing and tweaking, but that's in over my head at this point.

Edited by Tarogato, 01 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#6 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

True enough, I'm just saying that we could make maps and offer them as a template to the devs to make. That way, we don't have to make them think about it and they can just jump straight into designing the maps

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:17 PM

@Scout Derek
http://web.archive.o...n-mechwarrior4/
http://web.archive.o...k/#entry1421108

There is no longer is a free release of MW4. You are no longer allowed to share this game. You weren't before either, but this is not the place to discuss the difference between a free release and open source content.

Do yourself a favor and remove the link you posted.

#8 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostEgomane, on 01 April 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

@Scout Derek
http://web.archive.o...n-mechwarrior4/
http://web.archive.o...k/#entry1421108

There is no longer is a free release of MW4. You are no longer allowed to share this game. You weren't before either, but this is not the place to discuss the difference between a free release and open source content.

Do yourself a favor and remove the link you posted.

Done. Thing is, MTX doesn't work anymore, and the last time I remember that they said that MW4 was being released for free: http://www.tomshardw...-mw4,10329.html

But I read those links you posted. I did not, however, download the free and licensed version of it ever, as I have had a copy of the game ever since it came out. So, now brings up the question: I'd like to give out the free map editor for the game, and I don't believe there are issues there?

Edited by Scout Derek, 02 April 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#9 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

Microsoft released the map editor. It's perfectly legal and fine to use it and download it. They intentionally made it available to everyone. As for the game itself though.....

#10 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 April 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

Done. Thing is, MTX doesn't work anymore, and the last time I remember that they said that MW4 was being released for free: http://www.tomshardw...-mw4,10329.html

It was free. If downloaded from Mektek only. Mektek had the license to release the game in a promotional way like this. No one else had that license though.

View PostScout Derek, on 02 April 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

So, now brings up the question: I'd like to give out the free map editor for the game, and I don't believe there are issues there?

Sorry, but I do not know the details about the map editor and how it is free or not. I could help you search for relevant details in the next few days, if you want me to, though I am out a lot with friends and family over the easter weekend, so don't expect to get a result from me soon.

Well... while typing the above lines I already went on searching and Microsoft was offering the download themself. So it is a pretty good guess to believe that this one was free. As they removed the download it no longer is (unless there is something in the EULA of it, that makes it free and fine to redistribute. I don't have that available to me, sorry!) Here is the link of the old download site:
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=10467

#11 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostEgomane, on 02 April 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

It was free. If downloaded from Mektek only. Mektek had the license to release the game in a promotional way like this. No one else had that license though.

Sorry, but I do not know the details about the map editor and how it is free or not. I could help you search for relevant details in the next few days, if you want me to, though I am out a lot with friends and family over the easter weekend, so don't expect to get a result from me soon.

Well... while typing the above lines I already went on searching and Microsoft was offering the download themself. So it is a pretty good guess to believe that this one was free. As they removed the download it no longer is (unless there is something in the EULA of it, that makes it free and fine to redistribute. I don't have that available to me, sorry!) Here is the link of the old download site:
http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=10467

hmm, ok, now all that's left is a tutorial :D now I'll continue working on the maps if you don't mind ;)

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Also once a map is created I do believe that there are 3 files to each map. I'll share them with you guys to check out.

WARNING: once a map leaves one's own personal files, the transferred files CANNOT be modified.

#13 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:13 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 April 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Also once a map is created I do believe that there are 3 files to each map. I'll share them with you guys to check out.

WARNING: once a map leaves one's own personal files, the transferred files CANNOT be modified.

That's not strictly speaking true.... It is possible to dupe the Mapmaker into making the files so you can edit an existing map. I.... don't recall 100% how to do it... I think, you just create a folder in the appropriate place, and call it the name of the map, and it will regenerate all the files.

I played with the Map Maker extensively, and did some wild things with it.... But, I never had any success in distributing the maps I sunk hours into... so... blah X_X

I still have all my installers for the complete maps and such... but, no way to host them for mass download...

Here are a few screenshots, though:

This is from Asgard, a finished map based on Big City, that has the normal city... then 200 meters in the air, there is another city, accessible via a system of ramps...

Posted Image
Posted Image

This is Solar Orbit: On this finished map, the Jumpship Naglfar is recharging its Kearny Fuchida drive in the orbit of a nearby star... fall off the ship, and you burn to death:

Posted Image\Posted Image

And, this is from a project I never finished called Joutenheim, I was going to fill the map with giant mechs shooting lasers at eachother :P But, I had given up publishing maps before I got too far.
Posted Image

There was another map that I almost finished called Tunnel Rats, which was an entirely subterrainian map. A system of tunnels, and interlocked chambers... don't have any screenshots, but can take some if you like.

Edited by Twilight Fenrir, 02 April 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#14 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:35 PM

Interesting, I Don't have it but I have somewhat of a idea, it's just a matter of if it could be done or not. That Asgard/Big City Map Made me think of Final Fantasy 7, Midgar. 8 Sectors/Slums on the Bottom and The Big City on Top, I wonder what it would look like recreated in Mechwarrior? if it (Or Most likely something kinda similar) Were to get done for MWO, maybe it could be a Special CW Map, With Each Sector having it's own Unique Map?

#15 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

Well, nice work there :)

I'm thinking of making the first grassland map either medium or very large (CW version), but I'm having trouble making sure the turrents are in some good blind spots to make sure the soloing zerg rushers don't get a chance at the gens.

Other than that it's coming along good. Also I've been trying to find an application to record a tutorial for it, but I don't like using the Windows recording function. Anyone have a suggestion for a good app?

#16 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

View PostTwilight Fenrir, on 02 April 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

No way to host files for mass download

A way to share files is to make them into a zip, or seperate, using google drive or dropbox. From there you can give us the link and thus we can download them and view them via our own map maker

#17 Twilight Fenrir

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 04 April 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

A way to share files is to make them into a zip, or seperate, using google drive or dropbox. From there you can give us the link and thus we can download them and view them via our own map maker

Well, I made complete installers for them. It was more of an issue when I was trying to get the maps 'out there' so they could actually be played by people. These things didn't exist, so there were just really shady file hosting sites, unless you owned your own site.

I'll look into using Google Drive tomorrow, maybe... Never used the cloud before. But very few people still play MW4: Mercs, so... it's all pretty pointless now :/

#18 Bad cLipZ

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:46 AM

Those maps look so sick, Honestly is there anyway we can start this up again?

I have a link to a download site that is totally safe ive been dabbling in old abandoned games for a few weeks now. When i started looking through the downloaded files for MW4:Mercs i found the map editor and map editor set up was downloaded, and i have absolutely no idea how to work it. Ill send some screenshots.

but for now heres the link to the game, and ill actually send the link that shows all the mechwarrior games they have. be aware youll need softwares like WinRar and Daemontoolslite..... the given links on the website work.

===https://oldgamesdown.../?s=mechwarrior ====

#19 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:13 AM

Zombie Tread Posted Image

im self created as CCC Ranger many Maps for MW4 (many in the League Mappacks ) and in this Link you find many MW4 tools

https://www.moddb.co...aries/downloads

all thats not a Solution for MWO , the Engines total differnet and for MWO all Maps must rebuild in the Cry Engine SDK (thats free for download) new.

No way to bring own Maps in the Game and PGI have nothing Interest for it.

for many Years im self worked a Little like others to build Maps in the Cryengine for MWO

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 01 July 2020 - 02:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users