5 replies to this topic

#1 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:20 PM

Ok this may be just me and bad eyesight. But when spectating the good players seem to be able to see mechs that I can't as they are far away.

Obviously in part this is probably down to skill. But I was wondering if it could be something to do with the video/graphics settings.

What do people usually run the game on?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

"Medium settings." By that I mean everything is set as high as it can go, DirectX 11, 64 bit client, and no anti-aliasing because problems with AMD cards. Until the texture quality gets normalized, "high" can never be "High."

#3 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

H for heat vision can help see targets that would otherwise be difficult to ID on darker maps.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

Objects, textures, terrain: very high
This makes sure you see as much of the terrain as possible. Lower settings can have you shooting at objects that are not rendered.

Everything else: low
All the purdy effects mostly serve to hide the action.

High gamma and playing in a dark room help on the dark maps. You can go without heat vision or River City Night, for example.

Heat and night vision help with visibility on certain maps. For example, heat vision makes mechs stand out better on HPG, Frozen City, and Forest Colony, and it will show mechs at long distances in black on Caustic Valley. Night Vision can show mechs pushing over ridges on Caustic Valley, and between the crystals on Grim Portico.

Shadows can sometimes help you spot mechs on ridges/across corners, but they are bad for framerates -- YMMV.

In addition, you can remove some visual distractions by adding these lines to your user.cfg file:

gp_option_ShowCockpitGlass = 0
gp_default_cockpit_light = 1
r_HDRGrainAmount = 0.0
r_DepthOfField = 0
User.cfg is a plain text file you put in your "<MWO install directory>\MechWarrior Online" folder.

Edited by Modo44, 01 April 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#5 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostGreyhart, on 01 April 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

Ok this may be just me and bad eyesight. But when spectating the good players seem to be able to see mechs that I can't as they are far away.

Obviously in part this is probably down to skill. But I was wondering if it could be something to do with the video/graphics settings.

What do people usually run the game on?

Everything on low
Except textures
Doesn't make that big a difference in optics as you might think

Side effect, you can see far, and a lot better
On river city for instance from one end to the other
Though there might something be in the way that you don't see
But to be honest that only happened on river city
Or really realy rarely with a hill geometry popping in a bit close

I5 ivy bridge oc to 4.0 Ghz, 16gb, GTX 780
About 100fps
Windows 10

#6 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:04 PM

Some comp players use fairly large (>30 inch) monitors or triple monitor setups. This helps a lot with seeing stuff in the distance. They often don't use heat vision because it doesn't show stuff at about 650m+. Some don't even use heat vision on Frozen City day if they want to see at longer ranges.

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 07 April 2015 - 03:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users