How Could You Possibly Nerf The Stalker When Stormcrow/timber/hellbringer Are More Powerful?

106 replies to this topic

#101 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 05 April 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

You couldn't play the game like that, as the game would be stopped. Then the ball given to the other team. Adventually you'd be kicked off the field.

Dribbling the ball with your hands would be more like TKing. Sure you can do it, and have fun doing it, but for a limited time till you get the boot.

Which helps to illistrate the point I'm trying to make.

Just because you have fun doing it, doesn't mean you should. There are some more egregious examples, such as TKing, hacking, ect. Then there are other, more accepted forms, such as optimized builds and cheese tactics.

MWO has no active admins ingame, there is, unfortenately , too much freedom given to the player. 90% of the issues we have, could easily be reigned in by PGI, will it piss some people off? Yes, but the issues could easily be stopped.

Sized Hardpoints, Convergence, CoF firing mechancs, Fixed Heat Scale, ect ect. The list goes on and has been discussed since before MWO was even a prototype.

Literally every, single issue MWO has had, was hashed out over at the MekTek forums before the game ever even hit friends and family alpha. By the community, with fixes and math supporting said fixes.

No one listened, no one paid attention. And now... now we have an open ended system, that encourages min/maxing behavior in almost-gunbag mechs [I say almost because at least not everything is mech 3 level's of customization.]

No one wants to play these mechs as intended... All I hear is "meta this, optimized that." And I get the desire, I do... not even I leave my mechs stock. But I don't generally edit them outside of the intent of the mech, unless I'm:
1)Attempting to recreate something else using an existing chassis IE turning the Grasshopper into a Warhammer 8K. or
2) Doing minor modifications to weapons/equipment, stripping a small laser to increase to a medium. Downgrading an LRM20 to an ALRM-15. Ect.

When I saw the K2 and A1's rise to power during beta... the problems should have been evident... 2 ac20's replacing 2 machine guns? That's really, REALLY broken. not at all as intended... yet it's allowed within the game's systems because the dev's didn't think that kind of thing through. Because of this, we have the issues we see today.

That's not to say Sized Hardpoints wouldn't have it's own set of challenges, and after all, even with that, there would STILL be a meta in play... BUT, you would still keep the mechs relatively in line with their intended uses.

#102 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:10 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 05 April 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

You could play soccer by dribbling the ball with your hands, but you'd be playing the game wrong. Regardless of if you were having fun or not.

Except touching the soccer ball unless a goalie is explicitly against the rules of soccer and therefore playing it incorrectly. Creating a Gauss/PPC Dragonslayer isn't against the rules of MWO and as such is not considered playing the game incorrectly. And if you insist it's against the spirit of BattleTech, then so is any non-TRO build, which means that in order to fit your definition of how the game should be played, they should do away with Mechlab in its entirety.

It's just that I happen to refuse to play the game how YOU want me to play it, and as such to YOU I'm playing it incorrectly. Except that the rules don't explicitly state that I'm having fun the wrong way as I'm not breaking any of them.

#103 Mr Ezzquizo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

nerf stalker!

#104 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,251 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:39 PM

View Postezzquizo, on 24 April 2015 - 09:37 PM, said:

nerf stalker!

Nope

#105 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

If they do, it will end up where the Thunderbold-9S did, from viable, to garbage.. in a single pass.

Tell me how many T-9S's you see running around, in CW or PUB que..

Its a fine line, and they never can seem to get it just right without going completely OP or total junk.

Edited by Mister D, 24 April 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#106 Telmasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

Uh, how is the current Thunderbolt-9S garbage? I still see it all the time. It's still one of the more competitive IS mechs, it's just not god-mode, stupidly-easy to play anymore. It's effective, not overwhelming to the point that it's dumb.

I think that's kinda the point.

I agree with you though that they are struggling with the total junk/totally OP thing, and that fine-tuned balance would be cool.

Edited by Telmasa, 27 April 2015 - 07:03 PM.

#107 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

no reason to nerf the stalker,, just put ER/LL back to 2 GH and see how that does.

Also small / med lasers needs to be set at 6 for GH.

max energy range quirk for IS ERL to be set at 10% since there is a 9% difference from clan to IS

IS energy heat generation quirk set to a max of 10% too

These small changes should balance things out much better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users