Frikken Zeus With A Frikken Binary Laser Cannon On Its Frikken Head

9 replies to this topic

Poll: ZEU-6Y (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Want it?

1. Yeah just release it for c-bills. (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Yes as loyalty reward then c-bills (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. No. Take months to clear the red tape. (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:54 PM

Petition for the ZEU-6Y. Why? Because it has a frikken binary laser cannon on its frikken head!

(ok right shoulder but close enough)

Ultimately what I really want is for it to be released as this years loyalty reward like the Atlas S was. With unique camo and 30% c-bill bonus.

In case no one knows why having a laser on your head is a big deal.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

The Zeus 6Y is an abondoned prototype, that only had one very limited production run over a century ago. It was not reintroduced ever.

I don't see the Blazer reintroduced into the inner sphere before the Jihad era in any variant of any mech, tank or aerospace fighter (except for the Marauder 4X which is an impossible build as per the construction rules and is nothing more then an experiment as well). So it is another 20 years out as well. And even there it is sometimes refered to as experimental.

So, I vote with a clear "No", for now, without participating in your poll.

#3 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

The Binary Laser is fixed by double heatsinks in the lore and can also take advantage of the Advanced Cooling Jacket quirk.

#4 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 04 April 2015 - 11:05 AM, said:

The Binary Laser is fixed by double heatsinks in the lore and can also take advantage of the Advanced Cooling Jacket quirk.

Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't appear before the Word of Blake Jihad timeline as mostly experimental equipment. Obviously it did take that long to realize that it might be viable.

#5 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Meh. Blasers don't excite me. They're not even really a unique weapon, they're just like firing two Large Lasers, only with worse heat. I could imagine grabbing some tech from outside the timeline where that tech could be useful to the game in its current state (such as Innersphere Streak 4s, 2s, more variety of LBX and Ultras, etc), but the Blaser doesn't become commonplace until too far in the future and it really doesn't have anything good to offer anyways.

#6 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostEgomane, on 06 April 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't appear before the Word of Blake Jihad timeline as mostly experimental equipment. Obviously it did take that long to realize that it might be viable.

But it did appear on the ZEU-6Y, 2922, in the current time so completely canon for them to be around now.

However I would rather they release the Zeus Leonidas (Hero mech) next anyway.

#7 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostLightfoot, on 06 April 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

But it did appear on the ZEU-6Y, 2922,

Discontinued tech at that time and lostech at the current time. It's another 20 years before someone remembers that there is as a possibly viable weapon somewhere in a drawer.

#8 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:42 PM

"Nicknamed the Blazer, the Binary Laser Cannon is widely considered a dead-end technology. Taking two large laser cores and fusing them together, the Blazer was designed to fire both cores at the same time, increasing damage penetration. In practice, damage yield proved low compared to the lasers firing separately, and the high heat generated by the Blazer severely taxed available heat sink technology of the time.

While research on the Blazer started in the Lyran Commonwealth in 2801, actual prototype models first showed up in the Free Worlds League in 2812.

With the re-introduction of double heat sinks, the Blazer cannon is now a viable weapon."

That's the history.

Edited by Lightfoot, 06 April 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#9 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Yes, I know! It doesn't change the fact that the weapon is unused until 3070 and beyond. Before that time, no one cared about it, after the failed and discontinued ZEU-6Y.

Yes, you apperantly love the weapon, I get it, but it is not timeline appropriate. You will probably have to wait until we make a considerable timeline jump with MWO. Before that there will be plenty of other weapons that will be introduced before the Blazer.

#10 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

I don't love the weapon. Just saying it's less apocryphal than the gauss de-sync they created, that I hate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users