Jump Jets

3 replies to this topic

Poll: Jump Jets (4 member(s) have cast votes)

Nerf the first 2 JJs, Buff 4+ JJ?

1. Yes (1 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. No (3 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

i'v done some JJ experiments over the last while and one thing is perfectly clear - more than 1 JJ is an absolute waste of tonnage no matter what class of mech you put them on. and i'm thinking that the current implementation of JJs MUST be because of cry engine limitations because there's no logical other explanation why a system would be implemented where having more than 1 JJ is a waste of tonnage

so to make JJs worthwhile i'm thinking maybe the first 2 JJs need to be nerfed (yeah, i know, insane), the 3rd JJ does what 1 JJ currently does, and the 4th JJ gives lift similar to 4 of the old JJs so you can get nice height and be able to pop-tart like the old days - except you have to pay with tonnage for that privilege by mounting 4 JJ.

so how do we nerf the first 2 mounted JJs?

well one of the nice uses of JJs is cushioning falls/jumps from steep inclines. so i'm thinking if you mount only 1 JJ all it does is give you a soft landing when you jump off a steep incline. a single JJ does not give you any assist in climbing up hills - a single JJ is for soft landings only, not climbing. ok, maybe it adds 10% speed climbing inclines your mech can already climb without JJs, but that's it.

mounting 2 JJs doesn't give you lift, but it lets you climb slightly steeper inclines than you normally can, and might give you a 20% speed boost on inclines the mech can normally climb without JJs. but 2 JJs still can't let you climb up steep inclines (for example most of Canyon Map will still be impossible to climb, but the parts you can climb will be easier to climb if you have 2 JJ)

mounting a 3rd JJ will finally let you climb over inaccessible steep and vertical inclines, like mounting a single JJ currently does

and as previously mentioned the 4th JJ will give you access to pop-tart heaven - decent height to survey the battlefield with and rain terror from the skies. 5 JJ will get you to that height much faster, but of course very few mechs can carry 5+ JJ so call it a mech specific quirk (with the additional tonnage cost of adding the 5th JJ)

remember JJ were nerfed before the Clans came in, as well as PPC speed so it's a whole new ballgame now. i think it would be interesting to see if it adds to gameplay much and maybe give some IS mechs and lesser used Clan mechs (Nova/Summoner) a boost.

#2 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:27 PM

Acctualllyyyy....

it's definitely not a limitation in the Cry Engine... we once had jumpjets that were awesome. I still have 5 on my Heavy Metal, because I'm optimistic for the day when they make them not completely useless again.. Never used it to poptart, I just like to climb to high places to escape, and rain fire down from above.

There was nothing wrong with them before. But people were complaining about the gauss and PPC poptart pandemic... Which, being a Jenner pilot, I never had a problem with. (Poptarts are VERY vulnerable to small mechs getting behind them :P)

They just plain need to unilaterally be better again.

How to offset poptarts? That's easy (conceptually) Throw in some physics.

You're airborne and you fire a gauss rifle, you are on your ass.... in the next postal code. Probably missing half your mech. The same would be true, to a lesser extent, for AC/20s. The only things you should be able to fire in the air are energy weapons, and LRMs. (LRMs only because they all have louvers out the back, so 90% of the thrust isn't applied to the mech, generally) You could PROBABLY fire an AC/2 without catastrophic problems.

Realistically, this should also happen if you take fire while airborne. And that would be from ANY weapon. Enough energy weapons being poured into your mech will slough off armor, and screw with your balance. LRMs, and ballistic impact results are self explanatory...

Other than that? Just leave it alone. I never had a problem with poptarts when they were a thing, so if it was put back to status quo, I'd be fine with that. There are plenty of ways to get around them.

#3 Bors Mistral

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 313 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

OP, you realize you can't just say "3rd JJ will finally let you climb over inaccessible steep and vertical inclines, like mounting a single JJ currently does".

You realize some mechs, the regular Shadow Hawk variants for example can only have 3 max? Are you telling me the the SH and a bunch of others shouldn't be able to jump on a small building?

Is anything, JJ in general should be more efficient, and I'd say go as far as making it on a mech per mech basis, to give them more flavor. Well, obviously not in the case of a single mounted JJ, but definitely when close to maxing them out on a chassis.

We can also dream of side-jumping too, even though that's probably never coming.

#4 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

Screw side jumping, I want jumpjets I can use for forward bounding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users