#21 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 April 2015 - 11:53 AM, said:

It's being discussed in other threads, but whether you blame convergence, lack of punishment for overheating, laser vomit or low ammo count per ton, the fact is... laser vomit, gauss and UAC5 boating rules. People thought the sky was going to fall down if we ever saw a 100 ton mech with dual AC20s in MWO, but I hardly ever see those builds at all. You see Dire Wolves boating UAC5s, but never UAC20s or LB20Xs. Nor do you see Blackjacks with their stock dual AC2 config, or any Clan mechs below 50 tons that regularly mount ballistic weapons above MG size.

Ballistics are not in a good place right now, in my opinion.

But that's by the by.

While I agree with part of what you are saying, I think IS ballistic, minus gauss charge-up, are in a great place. I'm using more and more AC2's (esp. with heat removal), AC5's, and UAC 5's on many lights and mediums now. I have dual AC2's on Cent's, ENF, SHDW, etc.. With the right cool down quirks, these weapons are vicious. Ballistic quirks on a lot of IS mechs make IS Auto-cannons incredible. The Dragon 5N being the mech most in need up a quirk nerf.

I predict that IS AC's will become like their Clan brothers eventually, but I would like to see the IS AC20 and IS/CL Gauss stay as single slug weapons.

Mech Lab 2.5
- I am all for more information being available about DPS, Heat, and a damage gauge histographs.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 08 April 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#22 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:46 PM

Before steam they should have something as basic as what smurfy offers in 'dps' which is iffy and I don't think accurate at all but at least its there.

#23 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Yes. yesyesyesyes. This is massive. I couldn't agree more. Really good step on the road to a better new player experience too.

#24 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

with all the number crunching that peeps would like, the OP stated the obvious, we don't know what most of the number values mean, relative to the values the mech already has. besides the fact you would need an app to figure out how all these different values added together affect performance!

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

So... I did a bit more research... apparently Accel, Decel AND Turn Rate are controlled by the speed you are going at... so a Hellbringer is as agile as a Timberwolf (assuming you are using the non-Jumpjet/S omnipods. This is sad

However... I did find something of interest... to be posted when I get the chance tonight.

#26 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:30 PM

Bumping this because relevant.

I made a mock-up based on the OP in this thread and I'm hoping PGI will incorporate some of these ideas. I don't mind if this thread gets moved at all.

I didn't get in all the stats I wanted, but I think there's a lot of important stats (the specifics of heat and damage especially) that could be displayed in a pop-up window for the hardcore number crunchers.

Current PGI test version:
Spoiler

My suggestion:

Posted Image

As suggested in the OP:
  • The UI displays your mech's armour and structure (!) with bonuses from quirks clearly displayed in the same place.
  • Range of all weapons clearly shown, with bonuses from quirks and modules clearly displayed in the same place. (Note: This might also help rookies to figure out that LRMs and PPCs have a minimum range)
  • All quirks clearly displayed in a separate box, since most people build their loadouts depending on quirks.
  • Important stats (e.g. Tonnage) clearly displayed in the top left corner, instead of the bottom right corner.

#27 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

I need to be able to accurately min-max my mechs so that I can get a 0.01% better DPS or someone somewhere might be able to possibly kill me.

#28 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:39 PM

View PostBrody319, on 08 May 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

I need to be able to accurately min-max my mechs so that I can get a 0.01% better DPS or someone somewhere might be able to possibly kill me.

Oh, I get it. Satire.

#29 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

I'd also like a sustained DPS chart that works out the best weapons to use at the best ranges for max sustained DPS.

I.E. leaving ERMLAS out of the equation when SPL's give you better DPS under 150m etc.

#30 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:09 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 08 May 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

I'd also like a sustained DPS chart that works out the best weapons to use at the best ranges for max sustained DPS.
I.E. leaving ERMLAS out of the equation when SPL's give you better DPS under 150m etc.

How would that work? Seems like there would be an awful lot of variables in that equation. They would need to be better at maths than me, that's for damn sure.

#31 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 May 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

How would that work? Seems like there would be an awful lot of variables in that equation. They would need to be better at maths than me, that's for damn sure.

Not a lot of variables, no. There are weapons that do better sustained damage at shorter ranges than longer range weapons. I'd have mouse overs for the graph, that shows which weapons were best for optimal DPS.

Also, the number of weapons to fire for the best sustained DPS would be nice also.

All you'd need the game client to do would be to work out the sustained DPS of a weapon at a given range. You can sort of play the game already in smurfy - put in the default number of heatsinks, then add and remove weapons and watch the DPS figures change.

An ERLL, for instance, would be a better option than an MLAS near it's max range.

The game could do it.... heck, I could probably do it in excel. I do it in Smurfy a bit already (are 2 MLAS better than three SLAS at short range?) etc.

#32 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:53 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 09 May 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

Not a lot of variables, no. There are weapons that do better sustained damage at shorter ranges than longer range weapons. I'd have mouse overs for the graph, that shows which weapons were best for optimal DPS.
Also, the number of weapons to fire for the best sustained DPS would be nice also.
All you'd need the game client to do would be to work out the sustained DPS of a weapon at a given range. You can sort of play the game already in smurfy - put in the default number of heatsinks, then add and remove weapons and watch the DPS figures change.
An ERLL, for instance, would be a better option than an MLAS near it's max range.
The game could do it.... heck, I could probably do it in excel. I do it in Smurfy a bit already (are 2 MLAS better than three SLAS at short range?) etc.

Ah yes, I get it now. Just figure out the heat capacity and cooling rate of the mech by looking at the number of heatsinks, then sort each equipped weapon by DPS at a given range, and simply add together as many weapons as possible without reaching the limit where sustained fire is impossible without overheating. I guess it would be useful to look at 0 meters, 100 meters, 250 meters, 400 meters and 800 meters, for example.

Although I guess you wouldn't just look at DPS, you'd look at DPS divided by HPS to see what weapon does most damage per heat unit per second.

#33 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:09 AM

View PostApnu, on 08 April 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Yes, we need a place, in game, to see quirks easily.

Also, my dream, is to be able to look at my mechs, maybe even config them, Smurfy-style, through some kind of web portal when I'm not in game. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could mess about with our assets out of game? Sure would make the commute to work in the train more interesting.

I do that, but I stare at your mech's butt.

Does this mech
Posted Image
make my butt look big? :huh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users