1 reply to this topic

#1 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:59 AM

In the run-up to the UrbanMech's release there were some players speculating on Urby specific achievements, like killing 100 Assault mech in an Urby could get you the 'King of the Trash' achievement, killing 10 Lights in an Urby could get you 'They called me slow...once", etc. etc.

With all the characterful mech names that exist this got me thinking, why not actually implement something like this, but for all mechs? You would only need a metric that keeps track of what mech types you kill while in a certain mech. I could very well seeing this already existing. Clearly there's already something for this by Weight class and Assists earned, and there's also one that tracks killing a Phoenix mech.

You could just use total kills earned for a chassis, or even specify this by weight class killed. So getting 100 kills in a Spider could earn you 'Itsy-Bitsy Spider' but getting 100 Assault kills in a Spider could get you 'Arachnaphobia'.

Just some silly fun, so rewards should just be Titles, C-bills and GXP. It might actually entice veterans to go (back) for a certain chassis. That 'Gunslinger' title only comes with the Quickdraw you know? It might also show some mech pride.

I've also thought about achievements like these that work in reverse, so you get achievements for killing x-number of a specific chassis but I see this as leading to gameplay that distracts from regular battles where people specifically start to target a specific mech type/chassis in order to advance an achievement, or "I don't care I'm chasing that Commando in my Atlas! I need that 'Giant Squirrel Chaser' achievement!!".

Assuming the needed metrics are already collected I don't see the implementation as requiring a lot of work. As for the achievement names/titles I would suggest letting Tina Benoit organise the community for this. Just the inventiveness I witnessed with the Urby-specific suggested ones gives me enough confidence in this matter.

(Just an aside, but I'm sure someone has probably thought of something similar before, but looking a good number of pages back and doing a search gave me nothing relevant, so my apologies if this has been suggested before.)

#2 Twilight Fenrir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

Yes.

Absolutely, and unequivocally, yes.

We NEED more achievements...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users