I Am Having A Hard Time To Hear Other Pilots, But...

General

12 replies to this topic

#1 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

..i do use communication myself. I call out using Phonetic Alphabet. I got a hearing problem, apologies if you call out my name but i cant hear you. I am only trying to help.

Being hearing impaired is hard enough already in this game, but if i use comms, why don't you?

That's all i wanted to say really. Perhaps if PGI could make a special title, for people like me to make clear i can't hear anything that would be great and prevents people go 'yelling' at me.

And a sort of beacon on the friendly mech so i can see who's talking and that i directly know the location instead of searching teammates with Q.

Thank you for your understanding!

Edited by Sarlic, 20 February 2015 - 06:37 AM.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

We definitely need an in-game self mic check so you can test on your own if your mic levels are good.

#3 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 20 February 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

We definitely need an in-game self mic check so you can test on your own if your mic levels are good.

Steam is a good indicator or tester for your Microphone. That's what i should do if i had to test. If it works on Steam, it should work ingame.

But yeah, s test enviroment should be there in the first place.

Edited by Sarlic, 20 February 2015 - 06:49 AM.

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:51 AM

You know, I really, really like the comms. Even when I'm not contributing myself I'm able to help focus fire on targets that are called out, had a great pug game like that just yesterday.

But I turned it off.

The hit to my framerate was too much. all of a sudden I was having issues on maps that had never been a problem before, like Canyon Network. If they manage to fix that issue it'll be up again in a heartbeat.

#5 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 20 February 2015 - 06:51 AM, said:

You know, I really, really like the comms. Even when I'm not contributing myself I'm able to help focus fire on targets that are called out, had a great pug game like that just yesterday.

But I turned it off.

The hit to my framerate was too much. all of a sudden I was having issues on maps that had never been a problem before, like Canyon Network. If they manage to fix that issue it'll be up again in a heartbeat.

Really odd. Yeah, for some people it did affect their peformance.

Edited by Sarlic, 20 February 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#6 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:46 AM

Mission succeed!

Posted Image

I only have to unlock it so far!

#7 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:09 AM

View PostSarlic, on 20 February 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

..i do use communication myself. I call out using Phonetic Alphabet. I got a hearing problem, apologies if you call out my name but i cant hear you. I am only trying to help.

Being hearing impaired is hard enough already in this game, but if i use comms, why don't you?

That's all i wanted to say really. Perhaps if PGI could make a special title, for people like me to make clear i can't hear anything that would be great and prevents people go 'yelling' at me.

And a sort of beacon on the friendly mech so i can see who's talking and that i directly know the location instead of searching teammates with Q.

Thank you for your understanding!

I can never tell if my voice messages are coming through, sometimes my name just doesn't appear when I use it, or it only appears briefly. When I call out something important like a UAV people do seem to respond either way, but they might have just spotted it on their own.

View PostSarlic, on 11 April 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

I only have to unlock it so far!

Does anyone know what the conditions for unlocking that are? There's no achievement linked to it as far as I can tell.

Edited by Satan n stuff, 11 April 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#8 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:21 AM

I think I've dropped with you in CW plenty. If memory serves, you ripped into the clanners from what I saw. I don't remember much else...tough when the lasers and bullets are flying around you!

And actually, you have made a fantastic suggestion. It would be very useful if that tag could be used- but also if they simply had VOIP disabled. It would save a lot of headaches of an over-zealous drop lead saying "HEY YOU *NAME* WHERE ARE YOU GOING WHY DONT YOU LISTEN REEEEEE" when they can, in fact, NOT hear them.

Hearing problems suck, man. I've got moderate tinnitus and vertigo which is nothing to even speak of normally- but sometimes I'll have to get people to repeat themselves over and over if it gets particularly bad. Sleeping's hard too, but when you have THE INTERNET and VIDEO GAMES...it really isn't for me :)

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 11 April 2015 - 02:21 AM.

#9 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 11 April 2015 - 02:09 AM, said:

I can never tell if my voice messages are coming through, sometimes my name just doesn't appear when I use it, or it only appears briefly. When I call out something important like a UAV people do seem to respond either way, but they might have just spotted it on their own.

Does anyone know what the conditions for unlocking that are? There's no achievement linked to it as far as I can tell.

I agree. The current VOIP quality is not very good due bandwidth restriction.

As for conditions:

Working out trying in touch. Perhaps it sometimes simple, on request, or it's a secret! I dont know, but trying to get some little bit more information.

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 11 April 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

I think I've dropped with you in CW plenty. If memory serves, you ripped into the clanners from what I saw. I don't remember much else...tough when the lasers and bullets are flying around you!

And actually, you have made a fantastic suggestion. It would be very useful if that tag could be used- but also if they simply had VOIP disabled. It would save a lot of headaches of an over-zealous drop lead saying "HEY YOU *NAME* WHERE ARE YOU GOING WHY DONT YOU LISTEN REEEEEE" when they can, in fact, NOT hear them.

Hearing problems suck, man. I've got moderate tinnitus and vertigo which is nothing to even speak of normally- but sometimes I'll have to get people to repeat themselves over and over if it gets particularly bad. Sleeping's hard too, but when you have THE INTERNET and VIDEO GAMES...it really isn't for me :)

Thanks! I was a very active player, both in CB and OB. I still play at times, but not as much as i have used to. I still kill clanners, but only when the Atlas is properly supported. It's a teamplayer. :)

I am born too early that caused my hearing problems. With devices i can hear about 80% and without it i hear about 20%.

Moderate tinnitus? That's bad man, i feel ya. I got it sometimes in my left ear. But it could be ''stress' as well, sometimes it's just there, sometimes not. It's a high pitch tone sound. But there's a small light in the end of the tunnel. I don't know if you have heard about it but here it is:

http://www.newscient...ml#.U9QlGPldU4k

Couldnt find a international article, but here is a translate:

https://translate.go...t-text=&act=url

Just a few days ago, but there's hope!

About sleeping: I hook up a small speaker under my pillow and listen to today's discussions, news, sports etc. Just to listen something else then the various 'ghost' sounds in my ears when i have both my hearing devices unplugged. Perhaps tha'ts a nice outcome for you too.

I will add ya to my friend list if you don't mind.

Edited by Sarlic, 11 April 2015 - 02:59 AM.

#10 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:00 AM

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 11 April 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

I know how you feel. I've got tinnitus myself as a result of an ear infection in childhood.
Posted Image

#11 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 April 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

I know how you feel. I've got tinnitus myself as a result of an ear infection in childhood.
Posted Image

...can you hear it?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

...yeah, sorry. :P

I would have developed the tinnitus anyway, as I enjoy firearms. So I don't feel too bad about it at all! Every male on my father's side of the family has the same condition. Could be congenital Meneire's Syndrome or something, but we've all just toughed it out so that's what I'll do as well. I'm damned lucky to have nothing else phenomenal screwed up with me!

And added, Sarlic. Since the activity in CW has dropped, I'll have to find people to play regular games with. Good news, that opens up possibility to play with nice folks from other houses!

#12 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

My left eardrum is half gone since birth. And my right ear is slightly worse than normal, but even so I have no problem in most situtions except MWO. Some players I can hear crystal clear even on low volume others sound clear but very far away, yet others sound like they're mumbling into a soda can, sometimes close, sometimes far away. I think quality and settings are big factors as well.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 11 April 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#13 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 April 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

I know all about that as well. I have severe tinnitus in both ears from not wearing, or wearing the wrong size, earplugs in the when going to the live fire ranges in the Army. I was a .50 cal gunner and a TOW gunner at one point, before using the SAW and all that noise just screwed my ears up badly. I use the Neuromonics device to help with it, but its still a constant ringing. The current VOIP is just mumbled garbage to me most of the time because of the ringing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users