So...... Is It Settled Then? Best Mech Is Urbanmech?

129 replies to this topic

#81 Mirumoto Izanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostMavairo, on 16 April 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

I've been iced by an urbie, twice since it's release.

Hey that's better than a light mech typically does. So good job PGI, and whatever ******** have iced me in the urbie.

I'm still #urbiefree, so my offer still stands.

Got close the other day (saw an Urbie march over my mech's corpse in the death screen), but a Gauss Wolf had snaked the kill.

#82 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

View Postdimachaerus, on 15 April 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

Before that I was running two meds and an Ultra 5 but got annoyed by the constant jamming, usually in streaks of 5+ jams on the first shot in a row. Yes, it was so bad I actually started keeping count of my jams.

The LBX though packs one mean punch and can just keep pounding away, shell, after shell, after shell, after shell, in surprisingly rapid succession.

Similar story here, I was running a UAC 5, 2 Smalls and a Med on my 63 for most of the the challenge but swapped back to the LBX after 1 too many "click"s when I really needed a "bang".

#83 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 15 April 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

yeah, my experience was they'd either run away immediately (fine with me) or die. 2 of my 3 builds are standard engine buids too, so between MG's, LPL and ML's, I can accurately tear through a lights ST fast. Meanwhile, even if I lose one ST, I'm still fighting. In light vs light battles, that's a HUGE advantage.

Seeing Ravens, Firestarters, and even Cicadas running away from an Urbie is hilarious ... and highly deserves an in-game taunting. :lol:

#84 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 April 2015 - 08:36 PM, said:

been considering setting up my nostromo again, figured that little thumb joystick would be perfect for maximizing that 360 twist.

I'm tempted to bring out my Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar just for that little trashcan. Doing 360-degree torso twists looks perfect for a joystick.

And if all goes well, I might even finally have a reason to upgrade to a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. :ph34r:

#85 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostMavairo, on 16 April 2015 - 08:46 AM, said:

I've been iced by an urbie, twice since it's release.

Hey that's better than a light mech typically does. So good job PGI, and whatever ******** have iced me in the urbie.

Why thank you! :ph34r:

#86 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:59 PM

View PostMister D, on 15 April 2015 - 05:39 PM, said:

Well urbies will still get wrecked by Firestarters.

Name something other than a Streak-Crow that doesn't get wrecked by Firestarters.

#87 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 16 April 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

Name something other than a Streak-Crow that doesn't get wrecked by Firestarters.
Anything that I'm piloting. I never have issues with them. People complain about hitreg and such, but I never have trouble hitting them.

Guess I'm just lucky.

#88 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

Anything that I'm piloting. I never have issues with them. People complain about hitreg and such, but I never have trouble hitting them.

Fair enough, ;)

...but I gotta say, the only mechs that I'm genuinely reluctant to fight in my FS9-S are Clan streak-boats and other Firestarters.

#89 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 16 April 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

Fair enough, ;)

...but I gotta say, the only mechs that I'm genuinely reluctant to fight in my FS9-S are Clan streak-boats and other Firestarters.
Yeah... I dunno what the deal is. I'm not an amazing shot or anything, but I have no trouble hitting lights - any lights. Its why I'm very derisive of clan streak boats and why you'll never catch me using them. I can load up a stormcrow with arms, fire them faster and tighter, and hit with just as many. More, as I can't be shut down by multiple ECM mechs.

I sincerely don't understand why its fine for me and so many others have problems. I mean, its not like firestarters are extremely small or anything.

Likewise, my direwolves kill more lights than anything else and those light pilots always seem very surprised. They end up in front of me briefly, and I clip off a side torso with a dual gauss + laser hit.

Multiple lights is different, but honestly two of anything should win vs one of anything unless there are very extenuating circumstances.

And, of course, I'm not saying I can kill any light pilot: I've lost to light pilots who were better than me, but it was fairly obviously because they outplayed me, not because I was magically unable to hit them.

Edited by Wintersdark, 16 April 2015 - 04:00 PM.

#90 Jacobei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationElite Light Rangers 5

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Guess I'm just lucky.

Skill - I wish more heavier mech pilots would admit this. The stories they tell about lights dodging them perfect hits are pure BS.. If I am hit 2x in the same spot by a skilled player I am toast. BUT I have lived with a red core as them hit everything but - AND as a light pilot spcializng in pin point damage I pined 3 alphas into them... But as they tell the story - it was all hit reg and migration.

#91 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostMatthew Ace, on 16 April 2015 - 02:25 AM, said:

Being able to bind torso twisting to keys would be helpful as well.

This! I'm tired of having to pick up my mouse to twist all the way around. And if I set the sensitivy higher I have issues aiming. You could really make use of the 360 twist then.

And it is fantastic. The other day I was running away from a Stormcrow while he chased and I kept firing at him. Until I hit a wall...

#92 S13gtastic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBig Sky

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

View PostDanth Reduviid, on 16 April 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

Until I hit a wall...

Walls are OP! :P

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:58 PM

Guess I'm just lucky.

yet aren't you the guy who's Stormcrows always get rekt?

#94 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 April 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

Yeah... I dunno what the deal is. I'm not an amazing shot or anything, but I have no trouble hitting lights - any lights. Its why I'm very derisive of clan streak boats and why you'll never catch me using them...

That's fine, I don't consider myself a great pilot or mech builder but the FS9 does feel like "easy mode" for me which why I really only drive it in team games or CW. I generally have way more fun and better fights in my 50 tonners and niche mechs like the Urbie or Locust.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 16 April 2015 - 08:01 PM.

#95 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 April 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

yet aren't you the guy who's Stormcrows always get rekt?
Me? No, I do great in Stormcrows. I just don't enjoy them much. Hence why I'm so looking forward to wave 3, so I can get them out of my drop deck.

I get rekt in fast lights. I'm fine with basically everything else.

Just sick of TBR and SCR.

#96 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:46 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 16 April 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

Similar story here, I was running a UAC 5, 2 Smalls and a Med on my 63 for most of the the challenge but swapped back to the LBX after 1 too many "click"s when I really needed a "bang".

Hmm... Maybe the 63 needs a uac jam quirk. I have been running uac and regular ac5 and I have been doing better with the regular. Sounds like you guys are having good luck with the lb10x though. Maybe I will try that next.

#97 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

View PostKyynele, on 14 April 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

Useless, slow trash can they say?

The tournament definitely shows Urbie is powerful, when piloted employing such classic Urbie builds like 4x MPL, 2x LL + 2x ML, 2x LPL, all running pitifully slow at 107kph, barely faster than a Battlemaster with a measly 400XL!

Some daring pilots even don't leave the ballistic hardpoints obviously intended just for decoration empty, and instead fill them with MACHINE GUNS! Wow. Such awe-inspiring DAKKA.

Oh, and then there are some people who put big ballistics in their Urbies for some reason, but those, of course aren't the people on that list.

Eh? Did the Urban get released for Cbills? Or did they really make a weekend event only for people that payed cash? Kind of crummy if the latter.

#98 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

I honestly don't understand what the issue is if PGI has events from time to time that are limited to certain player populations. The Urbanmech has been petitioned for by the community for years. So the tournament was just part of the "release party". I don't think they are planning on making all events pay to enter and they even ran a regular event along side the Urbie tournament so there was something for everyone. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should be that big of a deal.

#99 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 17 April 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

Eh? Did the Urban get released for Cbills? Or did they really make a weekend event only for people that payed cash? Kind of crummy if the latter.

Cbill release is always later. Kinda devalues the cash purchases otherwise. We, the people who nagged Russ for over 2 years, then bought the packs, with IRL money quite literally made the Urbie happen. How dare they acknowledge that one time.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 April 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#100 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 17 April 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

Cbill release is always later. Kinda devalues the cash purchases otherwise. We, the people who nagged Russ for over 2 years, then bought the packs, with IRL money quite literally made the Urbie happen. How dare they acknowledge that one time.

This.

There was a weekend event for everyone too; the tournament was a basically "release weekend" gift for those of us who fought for the Urbie for years, who put our money where our mouths where.

Quite frankly, screw people who didn't chip in. They don't get to participate in that one, little tournament where 99% of people involved won't win anything; it's just a bit of fun, unlike the simultaneous weekend event that rewarded everyone. They can suck my AC20.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users