Map Reset, New Star League(?)

48 replies to this topic

#21 Karzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 11:20 PM

View PostFaith McCarron, on 15 April 2015 - 07:33 AM, said:

We have ghost drop superiority in TCAF's wheelhouse, and that's it.

:rolleyes:

#22 Wabbit Swaya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 186 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the cockpit of a BJ, annoying the hell outta someone for wasting a medium slot.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 15 April 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

Go home.

There are no real people here.

Yep, nothing but us harmless defense turrets

#23 WARCRACK

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:20 AM

I realize the HLGK is really vested in the idea of a "new Star League." I just can't get enthused about such an idea. There would be so little for us to do in the fight against clanners with no attack options into clan space.

My aim is to fight, brawl, and fight some more. Let the chips fall where they might.

#24 Risen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:45 AM

and what would the incentive be to join the Star League?

We would be stuck in overpopulated defense queues without the chance to attack any planets.

PGI needs to add "Star League attack plans" so clan planets where all IS players (or only certain factions) can attack, giving extra cash and LP to factions, not having a border with the attacked faction.

And I really like kicking Davion in the teeth, really don't want to miss that...

#25 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:13 AM

View PostWARCOCK, on 16 April 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

I realize the HLGK is really vested in the idea of a "new Star League." I just can't get enthused about such an idea. There would be so little for us to do in the fight against clanners with no attack options into clan space.

My aim is to fight, brawl, and fight some more. Let the chips fall where they might.

im actually really enthusiastic about it, because i hadn't dared hope that the people who tried it before would be dumb enough to take another crack at it. More IS strife means more opportunities for mayhem

I guess sometimes christmas does come more than once a year

#26 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWoogi, Taurian Concordat

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 16 April 2015 - 03:13 AM, said:

More IS strife means more opportunities for mayhem

And more ClanvClan action. I don't pretend to have any grand scheme to make it happen, but PGI needs to come up with a way to add incentive so we get more ISvIS and more ClanvsClan. We should break away from the dynamic of IS vs Clan because, otherwise, we might was well just have two in game factions.

#27 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:43 AM

Even as a northern power, I get it. It has to be boring for Marik, Davion, and especially Liao to only be able to defend against the Clans. That's not sustainable long-term and it's exactly why you saw Davion attack Kurita and Marik (still) attack Steiner's backside.

There has to be a better way to implement this so that the southern Houses can get into the act, too. Right now, there's no options for attacking the Clans, so they just hit the powers that already have too many borders.

#28 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 16 April 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

There has to be a better way to implement this so that the southern Houses can get into the act, too. Right now, there's no options for attacking the Clans, so they just hit the powers that already have too many borders.

But I don't want to get in on that act. Fighting clan mechs is so boring. I crave ISvIS fights. This is why I vomit a little everytime someone suggests that clans should be spread out around the whole IS or something like that. The much better solution is to make it so the lore-based ISvClan mind set finally defeated and we just fight whoever.

A lot of the more interesting in-game politics have happened with ISvIS. These happened because we stepped out of "lore" mode and let it happened. Just saying "Clan must fight IS. IS must fight Clan" has the ring of some predestined Forever War that sounds pointless and boring.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 16 April 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#29 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

But I don't want to get in on that act. Fighting clan mechs is so boring. I crave ISvIS fights. This is why I vomit a little everytime someone suggests that clans should be spread out around the whole IS or something like that. The much better solution is to make it so the lore-based ISvClan mind set finally defeated and we just fight whoever.

A lot of the more interesting in-game politics have happened with ISvIS. These happened because we stepped out of "lore" mode and let it happened. Just saying "Clan must fight IS. IS must fight Clan" has the ring of some predestined Forever War that sounds pointless and boring.

I think there just needs to be an option for the southern houses to get in the act; there needn't be anything forcing people to choose that option. I agree that some of the most interesting things that have happened so far have been internal to IS, but I also think that includes the attempts at the Star League, regardless of the ultimate merits of that plan.

#30 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

View PostHarathan, on 16 April 2015 - 07:45 AM, said:

I think there just needs to be an option for the southern houses to get in the act;

The act should be everywhere, not just against the clans. There should be no reason that someone has to choose a coreward or spinward house. The act should be everywhere, all around us. Like the force or something. I'd like it so that there isn't even a pretense for a new Star League because there would be no pure clan vs is dynamic.

If there was a way granted for spinward houses to fight the clans more than there is now, we'd just end up with 100% Clan vs Is only. Which would mean that there is no point to being Liao, or Davion, or even Kurita. You'd just be IS or just be Clan. Yawn.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 16 April 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#31 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

Dear Hanse help me, but I agree with the Capellans; New Star League is garbage. I like fighting Liao, Marik and Kurita. If I want a clan fight, I'll que up on defense on a Steiner planet. IS vs IS gives a better shot at seeing different mechs. Against clans I may see, what, 6 types? IS usually yields at least a dozen types, unless you include certain units who only run the same 4 mechs. So, screw nsl, let us fight whoever. Its battletech, anarchy reig ns supreme here.

#32 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 08:25 AM, said:

If there was a way granted for spinward houses to fight the clans more than there is now, we'd just end up with 100% Clan vs Is only. Which would mean that there is no point to being Liao, or Davion, or even Kurita. You'd just be IS or just be Clan. Yawn.

Why would it end up that way? Would you, personally, suddenly stop fighting Davion? No, of course not. So why assume everyone else would drop what they're doing and only fight clans? There's enough of a spread of people that allowing the option wouldn't take anything away from anyone else.

#33 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostHarathan, on 16 April 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

Why would it end up that way? Would you, personally, suddenly stop fighting Davion? No, of course not. So why assume everyone else would drop what they're doing and only fight clans? There's enough of a spread of people that allowing the option wouldn't take anything away from anyone else.

I wouldn't stop fighting Davions, no, but it's hard enough to get the ISvIS fights I want now. For some reason a large percentage of people feel some "duty" to defend against the clans for no reason other than someone else told them that's what they should do. Open it up more and it'll be nearly impossible to get ISvIS fights. Which all goes back to my original point of finding a way to break CW of it's lore-based mindlock.

This would all be a moot point if CW had much larger play population, of course. But THAT is a different conversation entirely.

#34 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 09:09 AM, said:

For some reason a large percentage of people feel some "duty" to defend against the clans for no reason other than someone else told them that's what they should do.

Could be that some folk felt that way all along. Maybe the reason there are still so many units in the nSL is because we share a common ideal.

Make no mistake, no one tells HLGK what to do but me. Honestly, a lot of us feel that it's constantly fighting Davion that's boring.

There will be a new go at the nSL. It won't be quite the same approach as before, I can assure you.

#35 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostZvolimir the Blackhand, on 16 April 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Could be that some folk felt that way all along. Maybe the reason there are still so many units in the nSL is because we share a common ideal.

In all honesty, there weren't many units in it at all.

#36 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

But I don't want to get in on that act. Fighting clan mechs is so boring. I crave ISvIS fights. This is why I vomit a little everytime someone suggests that clans should be spread out around the whole IS or something like that.

you realize that you would not be required to fight the clans no matter what happened, right? it would just be more options. also, and I say this without meaning to offend, there is a reason the southern houses weak and the northern houses strong. we've got more fronts and tougher enemies, and that attracts a better class of player.

#37 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 16 April 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

you realize that you would not be required to fight the clans no matter what happened, right? it would just be more options. also, and I say this without meaning to offend, there is a reason the southern houses weak and the northern houses strong. we've got more fronts and tougher enemies, and that attracts a better class of player.

But that's because of the whole ClanvsIS only mindset we're stuck in. Which I'm arguing shouldn't be the way things are. You're telling me how things are right now, which I agree they are that way. I'm saying they shouldn't be have to be that way.

And if "more options" is our end goal, then shouldn't we be encouraging clanner on clanner violence? More options! And frankly, having the option to be a clanner and fight other clanners so more interesting than just facing IS all the time.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 16 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#38 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

But that's because of the whole ClanvsIS only mindset we're stuck in. Which I'm arguing shouldn't be the way things are. You're telling me how things are right now, which I agree they are that way. I'm saying they shouldn't be have to be that way.

And if "more options" is our end goal, then shouldn't we be encouraging clanner on clanner violence? More options! And frankly, having the option to be a clanner and fight other clanners so more interesting than just facing IS all the time.

uuuuh ive been slaying davions and mariks for the greater glory of the coordinator from day 1 of my unit's triumphant return to this game, dude.

#39 Maxwell Albritten

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 16 April 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

uuuuh ive been slaying davions and mariks for the greater glory of the coordinator from day 1 of my unit's triumphant return to this game, dude.

I didn't realize JF shared a border with those factions. My mistake then.

But honestly, Kurita is the best example of not following this trend and the size and activity of some Kurita units helps that. As I said before, if CW had much larger populations then my argument would be moot. I have the viewpoint that it would be easier to add incentive to more ISvsIS and more ClanvsClan than it would be to boost CW numbers and by adding such incentives would make the game more fun and add increase CW numbers.

Edited by Maxwell Albritten, 16 April 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#40 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:06 PM

View PostMaxwell Albritten, on 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Clanners were fighting clanners, until they decided that a ceasefire with each other was a given. You know, the same way you imply that a ceasefire between Liao and Marik is a given. If you're going to go with complete freedom for all, that also means freedom for Liao and Marik to not have a mandatory ceasefire with each other. It means any faction potentially having a ceasefire with any other faction, and that being ok. And if you'd rather go with locking things down more... who's really going to swing for that?

Edited by Harathan, 16 April 2015 - 01:11 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users