2 replies to this topic

#1 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Just to display how bad things really are:

I finally had the money to change CPU (and of course mainboard), so I switched from AMD Phenom II x6 1050 @2.8GHz (3.2 GHz Turbod) + 12 GB DDR 3 1600 to Intel Core i5 4690k @3.5 GHz + 16 GB DDR 3 1600. I kept my Radeon R9 380 4GB.

I know that Phenom II is an old *** CPU and AMD to boot (which means terribad single thread performance compared to Intel) yet still I could run Witcher 3, GTA 5 and Fallout 4 in High settings just fine.

In MWO though I had to run at all low and still got just 20 to 40 FPS depending on map.

With the CPU change I now could crank things up to High (Textures very High) enable FXAA and Damage Glow and run at 55 to 60 FPS.

Long story short: If you are looking to get MWO tp run better look into a CPU upgrade rather than GPU.

#2 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

GTA5 eats CPU cycles pretty decently, too, so I have my doubts that you were actually getting great performance there. The FX 9590 has a 700MhZ advantage on the 4790K (not including their respective boost clocks, which reduces that gap to 600MhZ) but performs something like 20-25% worse. I can only imagine that a Phenom II chip at a measly 3.2GhZ would be abysmal in comparison. The difference in IPC between Thuban and Piledriver was not that big.

Yes, MWO eats CPUs even worse, and we've been telling people that for years here already. It's not a secret nor a revelation. If you overclock that K-series chip (which is what its meant for, so you should be) then you'll start to see that there is still a difference to be made. Everything starts to even out around 4.5GhZ.

#3 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users