• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

View Postxengk, on 21 April 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

I would go for a BJ-3.
2x ERLL for sniping.
4x ML offers formidable defence upclose.
Stock STD 180 engine gives you the same speed as the stock STD 260 on the Catapult.
Comes upgraded with DHS so you save 1.5mil CBills.
Access to Jump Jets for more manoeuvrability for getting to sniping position.

The build is 3mil CBills cheaper and you don't have to wait in line to get in the heavy queue. :ph34r:

Feel free to upgrade to PPC.

I'll second the suggestion for the BJ-3 "Laserjack", I'm running mine essentially as linked above (but with an STD-200 and a few less heatsinks) and it does very well, occasionally spectacularly. In terms of "damage per cost", it's fantastic. I much prefer the ERLL build to the stock PPC build, as it (A) runs cooler (B ) has better maximum range (C) doesn't have that nerve-wrecking minimum range for the main armament which always gives me a case of intestinal nervousness.

I'll also second the earlier suggestion of SHD-2K, which with that shoulder-mounted triple-ERLL array is simply formidable as a sniper. It's a lot more expensive though, as I feel that it really needs an XL engine: not for speed or weapons, in this case, but to leave tonnage for enough heat sinks to keep those ERLL's firing.

Edited by jss78, 22 April 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#22 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

This is over budget i know due to the XL but this is a very worthy sniper and you should consider the XL an investment for the future as this engine can be used in pretty much the vast majority of mechs. IMO the dragon is better than the HUGE catapult. If you want to save a bit of dosh, drop the gauss for a UAC5 and drop the two ERLL for two standard LL add some MPL in the left arm and some more heat sinks if you want. You could also drop the gauss down to an autocannon and put two PPC's in the shoulder i know from experience that the PPC build works well.

But i can recommend this as a hill humper, the dragon needs only expose its cockpit and shoulders to get those large lasers/PPC's working keeping the rest of the mech hidden and you can bring that gauss into effect in more open terrain as the dragons arm movement is one of the best in game.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...233ffee963195c4

This is a pikey version with STD engine (bit slow for a dragon but the sniper role should negate that somewhat).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd7d7aa4797c005

Also note the armour layout on these mechs as a sniper you should front load all your armour more or less if you need armour on the rear your too close and not in the right position also the dragon can sacrifice quite a bit of armour on the head (but i wouldn't recommend taking too much off as its also a great place for ammo storage as it's hard to hit).

Edited by mad kat, 22 April 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#23 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:44 AM

View Postjss78, on 22 April 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

I'll second the suggestion for the BJ-3 "Laserjack", I'm running mine essentially as linked above (but with an STD-200 and a few less heatsinks) and it does very well, occasionally spectacularly. In terms of "damage per cost", it's fantastic. I much prefer the ERLL build to the stock PPC build, as it (A) runs cooler (B ) has better maximum range (C) doesn't have that nerve-wrecking minimum range for the main armament which always gives me a case of intestinal nervousness.

I'll also second the earlier suggestion of SHD-2K, which with that shoulder-mounted triple-ERLL array is simply formidable as a sniper. It's a lot more expensive though, as I feel that it really needs an XL engine: not for speed or weapons, in this case, but to leave tonnage for enough heat sinks to keep those ERLL's firing.

I have mine running XL225 instead.
But I made that build to use stock engine that come with the mech, just like the catapult in his post.
I figure he doesn't want to or have the cbill to spend on a new engine, plus a new engine is a big investment before figuring out is the build's play style is suitable for you.

Running PPC on the BJ3 requires abit of fire discipline, knowing when to push the heat to go for kill shot and maiming or conservatively firing the MLs in group.
I also run my BJ3 as a direct fire support that keep up with the brawlers instead of poking from afar, the PPCs are more of a killing and stripping weapon while the MLs being the main guns.

#24 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

Maybe an CN9-D is an Option?

Basic cost is 8,158,590 C-Bills. Throw out the LB'X and the LRM 10 and the Ammo as well as the Case.

add an Gauss for 600.000 C-Bills
and 4 Tonns of Munition and max the Armor, then you have an decent SnpierMech with an XL 300. Wich is 97 K/ph 107 K/ph with Speedtweak and Endosteel, inclusive 2 Medlaser and an nice Shieldarm for Torsotwisting.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...237f6d5522ed490

Later you can add Ferro + Double Heatsinks and change the Med-Laser to Med-Puls-Laser

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d9bb5871be00e08

Edited by Revorn, 22 April 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#25 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:21 PM

View PostRepasy, on 21 April 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

If you're going to invest in ER Large Lasers, you might as well try the dual gauss K2. It ain't gonna cost you much more C-bills. Also, if you're looking for a cheap Clantech sniper option, try the Kit Fox A. Just modify the prime variant as follows: KFX-A

I don't recommend Fox Gauss but when I do, I recommend it be done under ECM. Really, 20 shots is not much though, other bigger Gauss Mechs I use go through that easy. Actually, I do not recommend CERML on Clan Lights either unless you mean to play at range like I did with the Adder-Prime.

Closest to a sniping Fox, replace LBX with AC of choice for same tonnage. Better because the shoulder AC can peak over ridges. I used to use CERMLs but had to limit to 2 due to heat. Since it would get jumped by Lights, I would now use the CSPLs or CERSLs. 3 CSPLs do more damage than 2 CERMLs, have shorter burn time & cooldown. CERSLs give better range and free tonnage for more armor & ammo.

I have run this Thunderbolt recently to good effect. Ignore the leftover tonnage, it comes out to 65 in game, Smufy's seems to have bugs creeping in for some time now. You can drop AMS for more ammo & DHS. I have also gone through all the Gauss ammo on this but have plenty of MLs, good heat capacity and tankability when I reach that, just showing this is one example why I would not use a Gauss Kit Fox as it would be weaker when the Gauss runs out despite the ECM.

View PostGagis, on 21 April 2015 - 04:17 PM, said:

How about Raven 3L with 2 ERLL? It's pretty convenient for a mech you can afford with the cadet bonus.

ERLL I find too hot, I can get more shots off with 2LLs before hitting overheat, expose myself less due to shorter laser duration and still do just as well. Very few Mechs have quirks that benefit the ERLL, the Raven-3L is not one of them.

#26 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:13 PM

View PostWildstreak, on 22 April 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

I don't recommend Fox Gauss but when I do, I recommend it be done under ECM. Really, 20 shots is not much though, other bigger Gauss Mechs I use go through that easy. Actually, I do not recommend CERML on Clan Lights either unless you mean to play at range like I did with the Adder-Prime.

You make good points. Incidentally, when I started using the build I was interested in the fact that it's an existing battletech variant, and hopefully they release the A variant at some point. Also true that 20 shots is not a lot, and no ecm makes you easier to spot, but when you look at damage output the pair of erml have almost the same power as another gauss rifle, at a closer range. I also rarely find myself lacking with 2 tons of ammo per gauss anyways, especially for lighter mechs.

As for ecm, not really a requirement for the Kit Fox, I find the low profile to be enough. If you time your gauss charging to fire-ready the moment you peek out of cover, you're only exposed for two seconds max. Anything short of gauss is going to have trouble taking you out at range, and that's only if they know where you're positioned prior to your shot. It's a real guerrilla fighter's mech. That may be a bit against Clan battle philosophy, but this variant also excels at auxiliary fire support for Clan assaults, so it's an all-around good build in my eyes. ^_^ Though I may just be biased after scoring headshots on Ravens and Jenners.

Edited by Repasy, 22 April 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#27 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

I started out with a Jagermech, and it's still one of my favorite chassis in the game, after 7700 matches and 32 mastered chassis.
Check out this JM6-DD It's pretty decent as far as dual gauss builds go, but optimally you'd want to get XL255 engine at some point and use the extra half ton on leg armor. Just make sure to stay mostly behind a hill at all times and you don't need to worry about it though.

#28 MatterBeam

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

Currently running this:

CPLT-K2

Ignore the full critical points. I somehow manage to fit in 3 DHS in the game.

#29 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

Grab a Thunderbolt 9S, throw two erppcs on the right torso and go to work. As I recall, this mech needs minimal upgrades. It's a pretty durable mech. Just don't try to brawl.

#30 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:08 PM

you can buy thunderbolt 5s, use 1 lpl, 3 ml and 2 missile launchers, probably 1 lrm and 1 srm/s-srm, not sure about mgs, it will be that thunderbolt which maeve used to kill alpin wolf's summoner :3

or possibly 5ss and 1 missile launcher... but iirc she had 2, i dunno why this pic has 1

Posted Image

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 23 April 2015 - 07:09 PM.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users