Map Rotation. I Dont Like It And Maybe You Dont Either?

15 replies to this topic

#1 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:08 AM

when i ask players, which are the least favorite maps... usually people say, river city night, viridian bog, terra therma.

personally i dont have an issue with terra therma, but i get why people dont really like it.

Viridian bog (in my taste) is one of the worst maps ive ever played in any game. you always get stuck on terrain, weather it be vines or messed up stairs, the map is just a struggle to walk through. i dont see the fun in that but i get that maybe some people do.

anyways what i want to talk about is map rotation. why is it that viridian bog and river city night come up so damn frequently? is it just me and my unit observing this game behavior? are you experiencing that as well?

personally, id like to see the bog a lot less frequently and river city night even less.
so,
dear forum dwellers, what are your thoughts about the current map rotation?

(btw has anyone seen alpine? i played 20 matches today and didnt get even once)

-------
ps
im lazy, so i didnt check the archives about this. i know some people live in the forums and they get mad about recycled topics, so, if this is the case im sorry but im sure moderators will do what they must.

#2 Fragnot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationUS Eastern

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

You know, I haven't seen Alpine in awhile either...

Overall I'm happy with the map diversity and rotations. Of course I like some maps better than others, or sometimes like a map more or less based on what Mech I'm playing. But I think the variety the maps offer as a whole (concerning needs for thermal or night vision, ambient temps, terrain difficulty etc) is a good thing. IMO having to work against or around the terrain makes the game feel more like real war.

#3 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

Also not being able to plan your 'mech around the map. A lot of people hate Caustic or TT for being hot (and, respectively, encouraging LRMs and having a giant bug zapper in the center) or Alpine for being less convenient to pure-brawler builds, but that's honestly kind of unreasonable. You shouldn't always have control over what combat conditions are going to be like- that's where tactics and maneuvering come into play, as well as important things like trigger control.

For me, I haven't seen much of either River City map lately, but it comes and goes, so...

#4 Frosted

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

Viridian bog is just awful.
Can't see anything
Invisible geometry blocking your shots or stopping your mech
Way to much foliage
Unbalanced sides

I like the carapace and tentacles they are a nice touch. I am sure a lot of time was spent on that map but it just didn't turn out good.

#5 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

Terra is amazing if your team stays outside of the volcano (pug zapper) and defends a choke point.
Eventually the opposing team will begin poking out the choke point and in many cases file out 1 by 1.

Sometimes a part of or half the team will flank. Since the areas outside the choke points are usually higher ground, being flanked shouldn't be an issue as long as your team is expecting it.

#6 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 22 April 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Terra is amazing if your team stays outside of the volcano (pug zapper) and defends a choke point.
Eventually the opposing team will begin poking out the choke point and in many cases file out 1 by 1.

Sometimes a part of or half the team will flank. Since the areas outside the choke points are usually higher ground, being flanked shouldn't be an issue as long as your team is expecting it.

TT itself is a great map (just like Alpine) but you point out what makes people hate it---PUG behavior and how they are drawn to the zapper just like a mosquito. You can yell, beg, or plead but almost every time at least half of a team will blindly charge in and whoever got there first has the advantage.

#7 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

...and without assaults.
It's mind blowing.

With that said I have had a whole team of pug's agree to defending outside the pug zapper and winning.
On more than a few occasions.

#8 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

I don't mind the scenery on Viridian...you can pilot around that.

The invisible walls eating up shots...that part is BS.

#9 CptGier

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Map rotatation is fubar.

For me its

Frozen City, or FC night
RIver city Night
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Mining
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Mining
Caustic
Caustic
Caustic
Bog
Bog
Caustic
Frozen City
Canyon
Caustic
Canyon
Canyon
Caustic

you get the idea..

#10 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

what i truly dislike it's *minimap* rotation
just why
it makes orientation so much harder

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 22 April 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

Why do people even talk about map "rotation". There is no rotation.

#12 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:09 PM

View Postzagibu, on 22 April 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

Why do people even talk about map "rotation". There is no rotation.

QFT. There is no rotation. Map selection is random. Check your stats page when you have a few hundred matches and they are going to be roughly equal in percentages. Excepting occasions when new maps release (they get higher percentages to show up more) or when ones are pulled out of rotation.

#13 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 22 April 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

QFT. There is no rotation. Map selection is random. Check your stats page when you have a few hundred matches and they are going to be roughly equal in percentages. Excepting occasions when new maps release (they get higher percentages to show up more) or when ones are pulled out of rotation.

Sigh...

#14 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 22 April 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

what i truly dislike it's *minimap* rotation
just why
it makes orientation so much harder

Yeah, having a map with a grid and then constantly rotating that thing is just weird. Only makes sense in racing games imho.

#15 B E E L Z E B U B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 384 posts
  • LocationTopsy Turvy Town

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

well, i think they made it so you have more probability to get certain maps than others. other wise i cant explain why i drop so many times on the bog (mostly with my unit RRB) as opposed to alpine peaks (which is my favorite map), where im lucky to get it once every 15 matches

Edited by Karma Police, 23 April 2015 - 12:26 AM.

#16 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

I don't mind the rotation.

I do mind the amount of maps.

I do mind the poor map design.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users