#1 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

So as of late I find it frustrating at just how bad some of the people are playing in PUG drops. While of course after two and a half years playing I know the drill: PUGs etc.. bad= Allowed to be BAD etc.. PUG for ya etc.. yada yada.

I do not think PUGS were meant to be an expected bad experience. I refuse to think people are just that bad or want to be or should be. (In general).

Here were some comments that completey confused me and really ... now after thinking about it wonder if PGI has a clue of what they expect people to EXPERIENCE in a PUG.

(As for myself)

I AM NOT there to teach.... I am not there to tell you how to learn to play.. PGI or in other ways you should learn this. (PGI Fail because they do not let the new guys play together long enough).. At no way is 7 games or some crap good enough.. it needs to be a MONTH at min.

I DO like to win and not see bad players and people use the fact of it being a PUG as the excuse. Why do we have to accept bad play and bad players doing stupid things as the norm for PUG drops??? Why??

I like to play , win , play with decent players that do not core my back and run away when in battle due to being scared or new. Is this asking too much???? I mean should we change the concept of PUGs to be for teaching, not winning... not enjoying good game play?

I guess the question now is what to EXPECT FROM PUGS or what does PGI WANT US to experience in PUGS.

We have some seriously ****** up things going on in them... we have bad players being bad just because they have only played 10 times and shot every mech on the map even thier own team because they have no clue.

-- IS IT OUR JOB IN PUGS NOW TO BABYSIT??? Because it sure feels like that is what it is turning into and before we get connected to the STEAM CLIENT someone better come up with a better training or some sort of NEW PLAYER GAME EXPERIENCE concept instead of "OH hey just throw them in with VET players because that will work.. they love to teach people"....

No PGI I am not there to teach pilots how to NOT shoot me in the back... I would hope you had that worked out....

Edited by Iskareot, 23 April 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#2 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

Agreed the PGI has dropped the ball on new player integration.

However, that does make the responsibility fall onto the veteran players, like it or not.

If you don't want to teach, then at least LEAD.

If you don't do anything about the problem, at least don't ***** about the problem.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:55 AM

PUG is for just that.
Pick
Up
Game

You have no idea who will be on your team unless you are a team.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:25 AM

Posted Image

As opposed to half the team not breaking 200 damage...PUG LIFE.

#5 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

Craig is so legit, really

#6 Stoned Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostIskareot, on 23 April 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

So as of late I find it frustrating at just how bad some of the people are playing in PUG drops. While of course after two and a half years playing I know the drill: PUGs etc.. bad= Allowed to be BAD etc.. PUG for ya etc.. yada yada.

I do not think PUGS were meant to be an expected bad experience. I refuse to think people are just that bad or want to be or should be. (In general).

Here were some comments that completey confused me and really ... now after thinking about it wonder if PGI has a clue of what they expect people to EXPERIENCE in a PUG.

(As for myself)

I AM NOT there to teach.... I am not there to tell you how to learn to play.. PGI or in other ways you should learn this. (PGI Fail because they do not let the new guys play together long enough).. At no way is 7 games or some crap good enough.. it needs to be a MONTH at min.

I DO like to win and not see bad players and people use the fact of it being a PUG as the excuse. Why do we have to accept bad play and bad players doing stupid things as the norm for PUG drops??? Why??

I like to play , win , play with decent players that do not core my back and run away when in battle due to being scared or new. Is this asking too much???? I mean should we change the concept of PUGs to be for teaching, not winning... not enjoying good game play?

I guess the question now is what to EXPECT FROM PUGS or what does PGI WANT US to experience in PUGS.

We have some seriously ****** up things going on in them... we have bad players being bad just because they have only played 10 times and shot every mech on the map even thier own team because they have no clue.

-- IS IT OUR JOB IN PUGS NOW TO BABYSIT??? Because it sure feels like that is what it is turning into and before we get connected to the STEAM CLIENT someone better come up with a better training or some sort of NEW PLAYER GAME EXPERIENCE concept instead of "OH hey just throw them in with VET players because that will work.. they love to teach people"....

No PGI I am not there to teach pilots how to NOT shoot me in the back... I would hope you had that worked out....

Pug is a behavior. That behavior is often, but not always, bad. However, it is bad enough often enough that the sterotypical Pug is likely to be bad.

View PostHotthedd, on 23 April 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

Agreed the PGI has dropped the ball on new player integration.

However, that does make the responsibility fall onto the veteran players, like it or not.

If you don't want to teach, then at least LEAD.

If you don't do anything about the problem, at least don't ***** about the problem.

Im tired of yelling at pugs who dont bother to read chat, or respond in any way, or bother to even follow along with the group. So how about you stop bitching about people bitching. It comes across poorly.

#7 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

All that is needed is the ability to take a player/group into training grounds and train them. Pretty hard to learn anything when ur unknowingly out of position, focused down and arty struck. Just sticking with the group and shooting at what they shoot at isn't enough. Reminds me of Elias's line in Platoon where he laments that the new guys might have learned something if the had only stayed alive.

#8 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

PUG

Barriers never to be overcome in PUG-Landia:
1.) Language
2.) Play Style
3.) Experience
4.) Profit

#9 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

Don't know, maybe am i on an island, but i don't always see bad players in Pug-games.
Sometimes everyone rocks and the battle is good; doesn't mean the match result will be tight, though.

Also, even by making the new players play longer only with other new players, who would teach them the advanced skills of this game, like torso-twisting, pop-firing, best positions on maps, etc.? At the end of their new-player-period - no matter how long it last - they will still have a lot of things to learn when dropping with veteran players. And you'd still have to teach them.

There's also the fact that any one can see any other one as a noob based on his behaviour in a singular random drop:
Every player has its own play-style, which may not please another player watching him: i have spectated some guys thinking "OMG what is this NOOB doing??!!!" but after a while i realise that he's doing his job, just playing in a way i would not, and playing great.
Sometimes i do a stupid thing - like rushing alone, thinking my teammates will cover me when they have taken another path at last minute and i didn't noticed - then you'd say i'm a noob.

That said, i totally understand the frustration about wanting to play a high level game without the possibility to be sure that it will happen.
But imho, only a Ranked mode would solve that.

#10 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

eh
I've seen "experienced" players suck ass as much as new players

so what do you do?

Carry as much as you can. If you want everyone to be on the same page and skill level as you play with more friends in a group

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

pugs = randomness, expect nothing or the worst.
some matches are great, some are horrible, and the most are rather normal.
In CW however without any elo MM, its quite a bad sign vs premades in like 90% of the cases. But its not like you have to PUG, Starting to PUG is an active decision and one doing so should deal with the consequences.

#12 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

"There's also the fact that any one can see any other one as a noob based on his behaviour in a singular random drop"

Yup. Too many times, I've seen vets just assume stuff about the pugger.

"Stupid Noob shot me in the back!"

[uhm no, you walked right into his firing lane as he was shooting, Moron]

"You cowards didn't support my push!"

[uhm yes, because you never ordered a push. We had no idea what you were up to]

"WTH are you two doing back there!"

[uhm, before you died and went to Monday Morning Quarterback spectating mode, we were taking out a Dire and Stormcrow about to flank you]

Its often less about ignorant noobs, and more about stupid veterans making assumptions.

#13 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostStoned Prophet, on 23 April 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Im tired of yelling at pugs who dont bother to read chat, or respond in any way, or bother to even follow along with the group. So how about you stop bitching about people bitching. It comes across poorly.

I wasn't bitching, I was admonishing. But let's say that I WAS bitching.

Bitching about people who are bitching about other people bitching would surely come across even MORE poorly, no?

#14 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 23 April 2015 - 10:12 AM, said:

Its often less about ignorant noobs, and more about stupid veterans making assumptions.

No..it's generally the first.

Sub 100 damage is just terrible. Sub 200 is pitiful.

Both are exceedingly common. Gotta love it when a Locust beats two Whales in score.

#15 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

Not sure if the OP is referring to CW, the public queue or both. I only play in the public solo-only queue and I must be in Elo Heaven or something because I rarely see PUGs screw up badly.

#16 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:34 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 April 2015 - 10:18 AM, said:

No..it's generally the first.

Sub 100 damage is just terrible. Sub 200 is pitiful.

Both are exceedingly common. Gotta love it when a Locust beats two Whales in score.

That is just ignorant.

In my TDR-5SS or SCR-Prime I pug and do 600+ damage and several kills. In my Jenner I do score less then 200, because it is a walking CT easily to be cored.

It quite depends on the mech and the mech class you field not only on your experience or skill.

Edited by xe N on, 23 April 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#17 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

View Postxe N on, on 23 April 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

That is just ignorant.

In my TDR-5SS or SCR-Prime I pug and do 600+ damage and several kills. In my Jenner I do score less then 200, because it is a walking CT easily to be cored.

It quite depends on the mech and the mech class you field not only on your experience or skill.

Nope.

Less than 100 in anything is Bad. Lolcusts can deal that...albeit always at a high risk.

This game is about dealing damage. If you did less than 100, you had a terrible game.
If you deal less than 200 damge, you had a bad game.

#18 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

Unless your team mate kills you, on purpose, or by mistake, how are they any worse than, as it seems you would prefer, they not be there at all. Many make it sound as if they would be better off playing 9-12 (3 newbs short so no lose right?) but those 3 newbs might do 500 damage total. Well that is 500 more than if they weren't there.

How is 500 damage to the enemy somehow worse than SFA? Anyone?

View PostMcgral18, on 23 April 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

Nope.

Less than 100 in anything is Bad. Lolcusts can deal that...albeit always at a high risk.

This game is about dealing damage. If you did less than 100, you had a terrible game.
If you deal less than 200 damge, you had a bad game.

Very gracious of you to set the bar for everyone else. :(

#19 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:49 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 23 April 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

This game is about dealing damage.

Nope. This game is about killing things.

#20 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

View Postxe N on, on 23 April 2015 - 10:49 AM, said:

Nope. This game is about killing things.

And you kill them with damage.

100 damage isn't even a guaranteed Lolcust kill.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users