Timberwolf Or Hellbringer

13 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm Hammer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Hey all, I am about to grab one of those 2 and start mastering them. I have made my way to being a decent player now (through a lot of getting my tail kicked) but I am still a little novice on turning or burning. Which of those 2 mechs is the "tankier" one for survivability? On paper and form it looks to be the TW. What are your opinions and build with gauss or dakka hybrids?

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:35 AM

"tankier" i would say timberwolf by default as it has more tons to play with and a higher max armour.

Dakka isn't popular on either chassi but I think Hellbringer would be better then timberwolf for this...
However timberwolf I think would be better for gauss...

Hellbringer can however mount AMS in the head (So sacrifice the 0 or 1E hardpoint in head for ams) and the ECM with 3E torso provides ECM and AMS to any chassis you want. While timberwolf requires sacrifices for the AMS if you didn't want that omnipod for the side torso.

I would suggest timberwolf unless you want ECM.

#3 Grimm Hammer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

Right on thx, I have always had a soft spot for the Mad Cat anyways.

#4 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:42 AM

The TBR's rear torso hitboxes are also great. Most people put a tiny amount of armor on the rear (4), and the rest is front loaded, which makes the mech even tankier than expected.

#5 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:46 AM

>my tail

aww
do you tie a bow on it?

Posted Image

as for your question it depends if you like to ambush people with ecm or not, timber is better without ecm, hellbringer is better if you actively use ecm

upd

but if you are a new player i would suggest stormcrow instead, scr isn't that strong as timber but is significantly easier to play due to her amazing speed and agility, they both have very good hitboxes but crow's ones are better, still she has less armor though

Edited by bad arcade kitty, 03 July 2015 - 12:48 AM.

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:55 AM

As you guys know I am not much of a meta player thus I actually use the hellbringer with ER PPC's and on my other alt.configs don't use ECM and stuff... and personally I find both mechs pretty cool.. if you got a soft spot for the timberwolf and it fits the bill then go right ahead.

Personally a mech you enjoy playing is the best mech in game.
The weapons you enjoy using is the best weapons in game... do not let meta or others fool you. if you like it, do well, then it's better then anything else.

#7 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:56 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 03 July 2015 - 12:42 AM, said:

The TBR's rear torso hitboxes are also great. Most people put a tiny amount of armor on the rear (4), and the rest is front loaded, which makes the mech even tankier than expected.

I see what you did there... :ph34r:

nice effort to get our back armour at nearly zero, so your Locusts and Firestarters can possibly core us out in 2 alphas

Nevertheless, fail attempt is still fail attempt, good luck when my more than 4 back armour holds up long enough for me to UAC 20 you in the face... :D

#8 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 03 July 2015 - 12:55 AM, said:

As you guys know I am not much of a meta player thus I actually use the hellbringer with ER PPC's and on my other alt.configs don't use ECM and stuff... and personally I find both mechs pretty cool.. if you got a soft spot for the timberwolf and it fits the bill then go right ahead.

Personally a mech you enjoy playing is the best mech in game.
The weapons you enjoy using is the best weapons in game... do not let meta or others fool you. if you like it, do well, then it's better then anything else.

Anybody that doesnt bring ecm on his Hellbringer should be teamkilled on sight for being a complete douche...Seriously dude, wake up and try being useful to the team.... :blink:

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:01 AM

View PostPetard, on 03 July 2015 - 01:56 AM, said:

I see what you did there... :ph34r:

nice effort to get our back armour at nearly zero, so your Locusts and Firestarters can possibly core us out in 2 alphas

Nevertheless, fail attempt is still fail attempt, good luck when my more than 4 back armour holds up long enough for me to UAC 20 you in the face... :D

I'm not trolling there. It's a legit thing that many of my TBR owning friends actually do. XD

If I wanted to make the TBR weak to my Locusts, I'd tell him to mount only Ballistics.

#10 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:08 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 03 July 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

I'm not trolling there. It's a legit thing that many of my TBR owning friends actually do. XD

If I wanted to make the TBR weak to my Locusts, I'd tell him to mount only Ballistics.

LOL, I was half joking in that post mate, but my Timbers are still running 8 back armour, and they will continue to do so, lets me run away for a few seconds without getting cored... ;)

#11 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 July 2015 - 02:24 AM

View PostPetard, on 03 July 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

Anybody that doesnt bring ecm on his Hellbringer should be teamkilled on sight for being a complete douche...Seriously dude, wake up and try being useful to the team.... :blink:

You think getting half the teams kills and getting top match score and damage on both teams in a hellbringer without half the basics or ecm isn't good enough and being helpful?

Okay, I'll go back to the extremely hot vomit lazor meta and go strip all my leg and rear armour and put ecm on and then complain why I keep getitng head shotted, dying to light mechs, I hate terra therma, and stupid NASCAR team ditching me.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 03 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

Okay, while I agree the Madcat's gonna be the better mech (actually has endosteel ya know,) you mentioned gauss.

Now, I don't suggest getting a chassis for just one variant, but I must point out that few mechs can load up gauss like the Gauss-Bringer. a Loki with gauss in the RT and RA, light armour on the left (Cuz tonnage issues,) ECM and five tons of ammo. Not for CW usage due to the low ammo count, but in normal matches, that mech is a beast. Your ECM and your gauss is your best defense, but you can maintain a decent level of armour on the right (where most people don't focus, cuz ECM's on the left.)

All in all though, the Madcat has more build options than the Loki.

~Leone.

#13 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

After i get my Quickdrawls, im getting Hellbies because its likely the closest i can get to an unseen.

#14 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostPetard, on 03 July 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

True, but for all ECM-able mechs.

Minor exception is the Mist Lynx due to its uselessness with an ECM arm.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users