Is Active Probe Dead?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Galenthor Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:12 PM

I recently had a match where I managed to get within 65-80 meters of 2 heavy mechs from behind and managed to take them both out... I have been taken out by mechs from extremely close range from behind, an I have the active probe/beagle system on all of my mechs. ecm from my understanding is not supposed to be able to block it, especially under 100 meters... and some of the mechs that have killed me from behind couldn't carry ecm... so whats going on with it? I know that some folks choose mot to carry them, but most of the players I have talked with about this do...

Edited by Galenthor Kerensky, 23 April 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#2 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

If noone actually sees the mechs from behind, then they cannot be on the radar.

With ECM, your teammates would have to have their own BAP within the designated range to "spot" them for your radar.

Even if you are countering the enemy ECM, people have to look in the direction of those mechs to put them on radar anyways.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 April 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#3 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

The beagle probe\clan active probe does not detect mechs approaching from behind you. It doesn't work like that at all.

It will increase your normal sensor/targeting range by 25%, increases target info gathering speed by 25%, detects shutdown mechs within 120/150 meters, and counters ECM effects within 200 meters range so you can get a target lock on ECM protected mechs within that range.

As far as I know, the only module that can see mechs coming from behind you is seismic detection.. and then only if you are standing still and they are moving near by. If you play Sneaky Peeky Poke style, then perhaps this is the one you really want to have.

Beagle Probe/Clan Active Probe is still one of the most valuable add on sensors, in my opinion, and I use them on most of my mechs.

#4 Romeo Deluxe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 449 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:04 PM

There is also the 360o Target Retention module. However, you have to get them on your targeting screen first, as I understand it. Seismic once had longer range and didn't have the standing still restriction. It was crazy nuts powerful, I have fond memories of it.

The situation you described is one of the reasons the Firestarter is one of the deadliest mechs currently. It pains me to see someone in one that doesn't know how to circle strafe and only seems to know how to peek. You have to get used to the MWO way of being aware of your surroundings. They will still get you from time to time. Keep that in mind when you are in the back of the pack. If you aren't in the back of the pack and a teammate behind you suddenly vanishes off scope you better turn around quick to see if there is anyone there.

#5 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

Bap only counters 1 ecm, if 2 mech have it in range of each other they are still covered.

The only way for your mech to detect a mech behind you is the sisemic sensor (which doesnt give 2 hoots about the mech having ecm) or as mentioned above to have the mech targeted already while running a 360 degree target module.

#6 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Active probe can actually be useful. Command console, however, now that is dead.

Edited by Sergeant Random, 23 April 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#7 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

BAP/CAP only counters ECM and detects shut down 'Mechs, it doesn't detect 'Mechs behind you (as has been stated). 360 Target Retention allows you to KEEP a target if it gets behind you, but you must target it first.

The only way you can target/see a 'Mech that is behind you is if one of your teammates has that 'Mech targeted.

#8 Corrado

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 817 posts
  • Locationfinale emilia, italy

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:49 AM

i always mount BAP on brawler mechs to neutralize enemy ECM. if you light up targets, is a lot easier for your team to support you.

#9 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:02 AM

I've read this thread title about five times glancing at forum, and each time I've misread it as

"Is Active Potato Dead?"

I think that tells me - at least subconsciously - and hopefully the rest of you too, everything you need to know about AP.

Edited by Soy, 24 April 2015 - 03:03 AM.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:39 AM

Is active probe dead?

Did you check for vitals? :huh:

#11 The Ratfink

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:41 AM

I hate being taken from behind while being actively probed.

Sorry couldn't resist.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users